Avon Cottages
Cape Hatteras Motel(Buxton)(Great Value!)
US$154
Priceline
Cape Pines Motel(Buxton)(Great Value!)
US$106
Travelocity
US$118
  • Pool
Sea Gull Motel(Hatteras Island)
US$124
US$112
The Breakwater Inn(Hatteras Island)(Great Value!)
US$123
Travelocity
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewslast weekgreat pricebad ratingacross the streetearlblast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My family and I stayed in unit #89 last week. First - what a beautiful home right on the beach! From the moment we stepped into the office to check in to our unit we fell in love with Avon Cottages. The lady at the front desk allowed us check-in 3 hours prior to standard check-in time at no extra charge, which was great!!This was our first trip to the Outer Banks and we were looking for a nice but economical place to stay and found that here. Cottage 89 is oceanfront. My kids loved that you could just walk right down the stairs and have your toes in the sand. Needless to stay we will be going back to Avon Cottages, hopefully before the summer is over! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Allison O
Reviewed 11 August 2012

The view was great. Right on the beach and could not be better. The price for a beach front cottage was good. That is where the good stuff ends.

The cottage was very dirty. We could not use the tables or chairs before cleaning them. The floors were so dirty that the bottom of your feet would turn black from walking across the floor without shoes. We cleaned the back sliding door because we could not stand to look at all the food smudges and hand prints. The couch smelled like urine so strong that permeated through the second floor the whole week. We found one old blanket in the house. We washed it and laid it over the portion of the couch so we could sit down. We had to wash the bed comforter because it was so dirty. The master bedroom smelled like smoke and the whole house smelled like mold. The corners of each room had dead bugs and food and food wrappers. By god, don't look under the beds or furniture. Disgusting. The streets to get to unit 92 were trash laden and full of deep wholes.

We ended the week with a very large roach running up the wall.

Most of the house is run down and damaged. Old damaged furnishings and fixtures. Very dirty. Poorly equipped. Trash all around.

We would not stay at this place again if the week were free.

Room Tip: Look else ware. Do not even try it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Ralph B
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Dryer doesn't work. Fridge doesn't get cold. One of the three showers are broken, you can use it as a bath though. Really old decks that give splinters. Old, squeaky mattresses, extra warn in living room furniture. BUGS.

Location is EXCELLENT. We're in cottage 88 right on the water and you won't find anything in this price range with such great location. If you're looking for a roof over your head to sleep and plan on living on the beach all day, you could make it work. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone with high hotel like standards.

• Stayed: July 2012
13  Thank chloebell2
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I have read several unflattering reviews of the Avon Cottages.
My review would be from a long time ago...October 1992 when my
wife was in the final year of her life. We met Earl, the original owner,
and he was a fine old fellow. He and his wife were real southern
hospitality. We rented #89..right on the beach..sleeps ten. We were only
two but it was out of season and available. We stayed a week and tried for
a second week but it was Columbus Day so we moved further south
on the island peninsula. Enjoyed every moment at the cottage. Sure, it
was not what you find in the city and it dated from the 1950's but I would
go again in a moment if I still had a partner.

I had to choose a travel date to post my review but it was not 2011..It was 1992.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank WhisperingJoe
Reviewed 18 December 2011

normaly when i go to the outter banks at thanksgiving i stay at the avon motel.This year the motel was closed due to recant storm damage and I was put in one of the cottages.This was my first time in a cottage and the closed room I have ever to the beach.You could just see the ocean from my second story porch.It was a two room affair.It was everthing I needed for another great stay at the beach.The staff was friendly and helpful.The rooms were clean and quite.Granted the water pressure in the shower was not what I hoped for in a motel,but it got the job done.Their wi-fi signal strength was not the best,but it was way faster then the dial up I have at home.All in all I would book my 2012 trip at these cottage and really enjoyed by yearly stay there thank you avon cottages for another great stay at the outter banks

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo