“Not Good! Much better alternatives at this exit!”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Akron
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We visit this area quite often. Due to several events in the area, our usual hotel was booked as were most others. Because we were with a group we received what we thought was a good rate...after staying here I would have to say it was not worth it.

Pros: Quick check-in
Close to amenities...food, shopping, sports venues etc.
Pillows are decent

CONS: No signage at turn in..easy to miss
Front desk staff minimally nice..Not rude per say but certainly not welcoming
Small breakfast area.. an after thought just stuck in the lobby
Food was cold, fruit was rotten, pastries were stale. Two mornings in a row..so I tend to think this was the norm. By 8:50 the person working the breakfast area was rushing to put stuff up while quests were still trying to get food...seemed annoyed with everyone. (Breakfast is served till 9)

Halls all smell strongly of smoke.
Two people were actually smoking in the elevator as we rode down with them.
Halls are all dirty. One piece of paper laid in the hallway for three days. I watched house keeping walk over it everyday.
Elevator is also filthy. Trash, dirt, and food all over the floor. Again never touched the three days we were there.

Room smelled of smoke and mildew. Plus some type of chemical..apparently trying to cover the smoke smell

Horrible cover over a nice white comforter.. just stick with the white comfort..it looks nice and it feel soft. Not like the sandpaper you hide it under!

Cookies under the bed.....and what I hope was just a brownie all over the floor.

Air system very loud...sounded like a siren revving up.

The hotel just generally did not seem secure. Our door was very difficult to get locked and others in our group had the same problem. Wouldn't feel safe here by myself

And the worse part..the outlets in the room..my husband was shocked while trying to shave. Fire hazard for certain

The list goes on and on.......we won't be back....even if ever other hotel is booked..we will drive to the next town and commute to the venue...

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank khudsonwv
GMAkronSouth, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

On behalf of our entire staff, we would like to apologize for the issues you had while staying with us. Not to make any excuses because regardless of the situation, we strive to provide our guests with the best stay possible, there were some uncommon circumstances that led to some of the issues you experienced.

That was a very busy weekend for us as we had 2 softball teams in addition to the team you were here with for a total of 3. That tends to make things extra stressfull. Also due to unforeseen circumstances, about 50% of our staff is brand new, which leads to even further issues when groups are here at the hotel.

Again we truly apologize to you and anyone else who experienced issues while staying with us during that weekend. We hope you would consider the circumstances we had and would give us another chance to provide the excellent service we strive to provide to all our guests.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed at comfort inn for just a night and it was the best night ever! the front desk clerk was very helpful. I believe her name was Nhung, she made the check in process quick and easy. Best night ever!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Minhchau N
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Well, I come back to this state to continue on my journey for success in my company and I had planted myself here for awhile. I honestly have no complaints in this location. The set me up with a good rate and were very accommodating for myself. I asked for assistance in a few items and they were swiftly taken care of. Staff was kind and bed was nice. Would recommend anyone to camp out at this location. Not to shabby.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jimhandy1983
Reviewed 10 October 2013

There was no signage to turn into the hotel driveway so we passed it up late at night the first time by. Turned around and entered in the Walmart parking lot. Odd. There were cars parked in the front facing Walmart but when I entered to check in, there was nobody in the lobby nor at the front desk. I had to look around and actually call out to see if anybody was there. Again, odd. The brochures were scattered in the bin, there was dust on the tables, dirt on the floor, and table tents were crushed and lying on the floor too. Almost didn't stay there but it was late and we didn't want to travel further. There was a younger girl behind the desk who was pleasant but directed us to park in the back (where she mentioned that there were cameras (this did not alleviate the feeling that it wasn't that safe for my new car)) on the opposite side where our room was. She had to look at a map of the rooms and still got it wrong. The back parking lot was more like a back alley - very narrow. The hallways smelled like smoke, the room was alright but older, and the bathroom had a dead moth on the floor. When I went down for breakfast, again there was nobody around. The eggs were all pre-made round slabs and cold. The turkey sausage (I think that's what it was) was cold and floppy - I ate one bite and gave up. The bill wasn't under the door so I again waited at the front desk. The guy that checked me out was nice and asked how my stay was. I didn't even bother. I won't stay there again and I was glad I had my husband with me. Kind of creepy location - at least it seemed so in the dark!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ElizabethM670
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Nice and clean. No frills hotel for under $80. Friendly staff and good breakfast every morning with hot ham and eggs with waffles. Next door to walmart, restaurants like Appleby's. Quick access to university. Right off highway. Overall it's what I needed for a quick stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Very busy Hotel, but not bad at all, very convienient for highway & local shops & eating places.
Plenty of parking, but get breakfast early or late in their times as always popular.
Rooms well equipped but getting a little tired as this Hotel is popular.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the inside, much less noise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank GRAHAM N
Reviewed 6 August 2013

The check-in process was very slow. We used an online booking site and they had no computer record of our reservation. The person behind the counter did not know the appropriate place to look and so we were left standing there. We did not know if she was going to wait on us or not. We inquired again and she said the manager would be there shortly. The manager showed up she said nothing to him so he did not know we were next in line. Really frustrating.

We ended up in a Jacuzzi room. The layout was really unusual. The bathroom is large. The bathroom wall between the bedroom and the bathroom was an opening with the shower curtain. Very nice change from the usual appearance. The TV was not a flat screen. The room had an older about it. In taking a shower in the morning the soap and shampoo from the prior customer was still there.

When we were leaving our room for the evening one of the housekeepers heard us talking about smoking. She asked if we wanted to smoking room and I said no. She said well if you do just put a towel across the bottom of the door to keep the smoke in your room.

We did not use the pool but we notice the were no chairs or tables in the pool area.

The breakfast area was small and quite messy. The two attendants working out to breakfast had a difficult time keeping things stocked. But we were there they ran out of forks, bananas, pancake mix, eggs, and rolls. There were not that many people eating breakfast so I think it was more negligence them being overly busy.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akron
Red Roof Inn Akron South
Hilton Garden Inn Akron
Courtyard Akron Downtown
13 mi away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Akron Fairlawn
Quality Inn Akron-Fairlawn
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cuyahoga Falls

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!