“very pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Akron
Columbus, Ohio
“very pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed here this week with a group and had a very nice stay. Anytime you are paying less than $90 for a downtown hotel you are a little worried but we found it to be clean and the staff friendly. Im glad I didnt believe the other reviews. Our experience was a good one.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ryan l

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Hampstead
Reviewed 5 March 2014

i travel for a living and this is the worst hotel i have ever stayed in. i thought the worst was a Microtel but this place is worse!! No heat in the elevators or in the halls. heat barely works in the room. Hotel is very run down. no carpet in halls, has floor mats running down the center instead of carpet. TV's must be 25 years old and dont work half the time. i would leave right now but most hotels in the area are sold out. The furniture has stains all over it and the rooms are dark and shabby. if this hotel represents Akron, i won't be coming back. Do yourself a favor and don't stay at this hotel. it is HORRIBLE!

Room Tip: My Tip is stay somewhere else!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rick R
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I travel A LOT and have stayed in places all over the spectrum. This one easily ranks highly on my list of worst hotels ever.

- IT IS SO COLD IN MY ROOM. Granted, it's 5 degrees outside, but I slept in long sleeves and shivered all night. I didn't bother changing rooms because everyone else in my group had a similar problem.

- There was piss in my toilet when I checked in.

- There is no hot water.

- The fire alarm was blaring in the lobby when I checked in and the hotel clerk said, "Don't worry, that's normal."

- The wallpaper is stapled to the wall in some places.

- Also, anytime I see a Sleep Number bed, I can pretty much guarantee a day of stiffness and pain the next day. (I am in my 20's and do not normally feel this way.)

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank pianoman85
Akron, OH
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Wow. This was just a real disappointing experience. Booked this room so that we could spend a weekend downtown, have a nice dinner across the street at Baxters or Lockview, and then enjoy the night with city views.

Instead, we arrived to find a very ticked off customer in the lobby, who had been waiting for what he called "forever." There was literally no one at the desk. No problem, I figured, I will just call and the operator will get someone.

Nope. Phone right in front of me rang and rang and rang....no one ever came. I asked the customer why he was ticked off, he said his room was terrible, it was freezing and the that they had moved him to another room, which was also freezing and was a mess.

No problem, I thought. That's one guys experience. Finally, after about 10 minutes, he tossed his key and left.

I stood there for ANOTHER 25 minutes. 25! But since I had pre-paid and there was no way I could prove that I had been there if they charged me, I felt I had to wait.

After about half an hour, a guy wearing a sweater came strolling in, sipping a drink. That was our employee....so after saying someone had called off, and they were understaffed, we finally got our room key after 35 minutes at the front desk with no lines, and no staff.

So we went up to our room...wow...., just wow....

Wall paper peeling, bathroom dirty. Freeezing cold....and ti wasn't even cold that night (around 50 degrees). Freezing.

So we didn't even stay the night. It was the most disappointing experience I have ever had in a hotel. I wanted to stay in downtown Akron...but I have to say to you: DON'T BOOK THIS HOTEL. Unless you want to overpay for a facility that is in clear decline with non-existent service.

It just made me sad.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1unhappycamper
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Where to begin? I called before we checked in to ask about making reservations at the hotel restaurant. Since the website said the restaurant was open 7 am to 10 pm Saturday and Sunday, I was shocked when I called at 4 pm on a Saturday and was told by the extremely rude woman on the phone that it was closed. When I tried to ask her if reservations would be needed for dinner on New Years Eve, she became snippy and said that I would have to call back on Monday when the restaurant was open. Needless to say, I made reservations for dinner elsewhere.

We should have taken that experience as a sign and made a hotel reservation elsewhere as well. We checked in at 3:30 and found our room to be beyond freezing as well as run down and dingy. There was a water stain on the ceiling with the paint peeling off and barely hanging on. Since there was paint chunks on the floor, we assumed that the room hadn't been vacuumed between stays.

We went down to the front desk and asked to have our room switched. The attendant said that the maid service had just left our room and to give the heater an hour to warm up. I am not sure if it was the same obnoxious woman who answered when I called about the restaurant reservation of if they just hire the most snide and offensive employees they can find. We wandered around Akron for a bit only to return to the same frigid room. It was warmer outside in the snow than in our room.

A different attendant gave us a new room, but we were already disgusted by the whole situation. The new room was dingy, slightly warm and far from toasty, not vacuumed, had peeling wallpaper, and just plain nasty looking. All we wanted was a place to stay on New Years Eve so we could enjoy First Night Akron. The room made it so unbearable, we ended up checking out at 2:30 am and driving home.

Save your money! You could find a cardboard box under a bridge that would be cleaner and warmer!

Room Tip: Look elsewhere!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Marisa C
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel is horrible I stayed on the 7th floor the heat did not work to warm up room was told by the front desk takes a couple hours to warm up checked in at 1240 pm on a sat and the room still cold at check out time everyone I called front desk of they answered o just give it some time same answer with hot water let it run a min it rain 8 to 10 mins got warm but I had only a few mins b4 the water got cold to shower not even 10 mins in shower the hallway was freezing like I was walking outside to go get I've or front desk to ask questions cause no one answer phone no one Tryed to help the situation I called the hotel manager see how far THAT goes will not do again will I pay over a 100 dollars for such bad service stay far away . They did not even offer me a new room nothing and they where very empty I was hurled around till check out time even the clock for your wake up call was telling the wrong time daylights saving forgot to set the recorder with right info was a hour off

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Ok not the best hotel I have ever stayed in. However, Akron is not necessarily the city where you just find 5 star hotels at every corner. Realistically, if you just need a comfortable and clean place to rest your head for a few nights it will just do that. Stay away from the buffet breakfast...just use as it needs to be used...a simple rest over.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akron
Courtyard Akron Downtown
Hilton Garden Inn Akron
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cuyahoga Falls
Sheraton Suites Akron/Cuyahoga Falls
Red Roof Inn Akron South
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Akron - Fairlawn

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!