“Pleasant Surprise, Lovely Stay!”

Red Roof Inn Akron South
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Akron
Detroit, Michigan, United States
“Pleasant Surprise, Lovely Stay!”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Reason for stay: My fiance goes to school at UofA and has a place there, but we don't always want to bother his roommate so we got a hotel.

Review: After seeing negative reviews across the net for this hotel, I was worried about choosing it. However, it had better reviews than every other hotel in Akron/Canton area, so I went with it.

I was so pleasantly surprised and my fiance was as well. The room was large with a small single serving coffee maker, fridge, microwave, safe and a desk. For those reviews else where that complain of not having a coffee maker, fridge or microwave apparently didn't notice that those come only in an upgrade room and with an upgraded room being less than $10 more, I think it's a bargain. A sink outside the bathroom makes it seem small, but how the hung the shower curtain makes the shower feel large and luxurious. Plus, great water pressure and long lasting heat. It's pet friendly, but well kept and no smell. Our cat enjoyed running around the room as well. My only tiny complaint is that there's no TV guide of some sort. We had to guess at what each channel was and flip channels until we found something we wanted. It felt like the 1990s again.

The staff was amazingly pleasant, from Chevelle (sp?) at the front desk to the housekeeping. I've stayed at plenty of hotels and no one has ever been this nice. The staff alone would make me want to return here.

There's also restaurants and a Walmarts with in walking distance. Past that, there's no lack of restaurants and shops within a 5 minute drive. So many, in fact, that it was almost overwhelming.

The hotel is perfectly placed right off the freeway and getting my fiance back to campus on Monday before his 8:50 class was easy-peezy with less than a 10 minute drive.

Room Tip: If you want extra amenities (coffee pot, fridge, safe, microwave) make sure you get the upgraded roo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager207, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Akron South, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I have a roommate myself so I know how it is to want a chance to get away. Thanks for getting away with us. Also we are glad you enjoyed the amenities that we have to offer in our Superior King rooms, we believe they are a great value. I am sorry about the channel guide listing we are getting new ones printed up and will be in the rooms soon. Please come by and see us the next time you have a free weekend.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Palm Coast
Reviewed 18 November 2013

another stay that met almost all of my expectations - the only thing that didn't meet my expectations was that the hotel representative sold our room and didn't have a play pen set up for our arrival which i had requested earlier in the day. the room we then received wasn't the quietest. i'm sure the original room was on the ground floor with the other more family oriented visitors. not a huge deal but a bit of a nuisance. not a hotel issue more of a service issue. would stay there again though

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I would like to apologize about the crib, I am going to order a couple more to make sure that we have plenty on hand when our guests need them. We will also do a better job of keeping things quiet so that you can have a more peaceful stay. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Excellent service beginning with check-in; Chevelle was efficient, intelligent, pleasant, and displayed a terrific sense of humor. If each property was blessed with her presence they would all be full 24/7/365(6).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. I have shared this review with my staff to reinforce to them that hard work pays off. Chevelle is a great worker for us and always tries to go that extra mile for our guests. Thank you for staying with us and please stop back the next time you're in Akron.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I travel frequently in eastern Ohio conducting business for my company and the level of professionalism shown by the staff along with the quality of their rooms is without comparison. I look forward to staying at this property every week because of the value, cleanliness of the rooms and most importantly the attention to detail shown by everyone there.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank robert e
GeneralManager207, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Akron South, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thank you for letting us know how we are doing. I will share this with the rest of my staff. I know they look forward to reading reviews about how they are doing. We all look forward to taking care of your lodging needs next time you are here in Akron .
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 1 November 2013

The room I had was very nice for the price. The check-out girl (Vanessa) was extremely helpful and very pleasant and polite. She is an asset to the staff.

(It would be nice if they had a full length mirror.... (it's a female thing), and maybe a soap dish on the bathroom counter so the water wouldn't collect.... just a suggestion... not a necessity)

Room Tip: I stayed closer to the office for safety since I was alone.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I will be sure to let the rest of my staff know about your review. I am glad that Vanessa took care of you.
Howell, Michigan
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed @ the Red Roof for 2 nights in late October. The desk attendant @ the time of checking in was very courteous. I did, however, have someone mistake my room for their room @ 2:30 am ( perhaps a last call mistake ). Tried their key a couple times and knocked on the door - then I think it dawned on them what had happened. That was the extent of my excitement those 3 nights.

HBO was available in the room. Caught a couple movies during my stay thanks to that.

The heat was very responsive as well.

I get home - check through my bags - DARNIT! - no phone charger. Then it dawned on me - left it in the room. I thought for sure I was going to have to buy a replacement.

I called them - they transferred me to housekeeping. They had my charger! YES! They sent it to me for no charge. TYVM guys - Repeat customer has just been born.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManager207, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Akron South, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. My staff works hard to keep our guests happy. They love to see responses like yours. Your charger is on it's way and I have the tracking number if you would like to give us a call. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to serving you in the future.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My Wife and I booked this Hotel, based on reviews from fellow TripAdvisor travelers... and we feel like this would fall into the realm of needing to be EXTRA-Cautious when having to trust your stay at a hotel with less than 500 to 1,000 accredited reviews.....

Positives:
The front desk ladies did most everything in their power to try to improve our experience, both check-in and check-out probably both go quickly for most people. I only wished that the cleaning staff cared as much as they did...
The actual rooms themselves were still in (overall) good/newer condition, with the furniture still being in fairly good condition.
There is good amount of lighting and power outlets, the T.V. was also a flat-screen in good working condition... Mini-Fridge and Microwave also available.

NEGATIVES:
1) Too many random people hanging around outside at all times of the day and evening and they were acting REAL shady. Being originally from a side of Akron where a lot of shady happenings went on... I know what shady looks like...

2) Trash not emptied from previous guest... this was in our "Clean" room (keep reading)

3) General LACK OF CLEANLINESS!! (BAD ODOR)

After check-In we walked to our assigned room, only to be met with a heavy cigarette smell as soon as we open the door... which was a little unexpected for a place claiming "100% SMOKE-FREE" on placards and stickers everywhere you looked...... and did i mention that I'm actually ALLERGIC to cigarette smoke?
Well after returning to front desk, we were given key-cards to a different room. After again lugging our luggage to this NEW room?? Yep, you guessed it we were met with an EVEN WORSE smell of cigarettes, this time mixed with heat, since someone maybe thought this would help the smell... It DIDN'T!
Despite my wife wanting to find a completely different Hotel altogether... the front-desk girls promised to help us out, and they did so by finding a (SEEMINGLY) clead room without a stench on the THIRD TRY!

4) DIRTY PILLOW-CASES!

After coming back from celebrating my Aunt's Birthday (well after mid-night)... we were exhausted and just ready to crash, before realizing that 2 of the 3 pillows on our King-Size bed had multiple dark smudges on them. One could maybe expect some type of faint staining on the bedding of some Older, Lesser-Star Hotels... but these WERE NOT STAINS, BUT PHYSICAL SMUDGES of some unknown origin (sorry I Forgot to take photo this time). Needless to say, we didn't use them, luckily had replacement we brought from home..... Plus we were too tired to visit front desk YET AGAIN, so we slept.. showered quickly, and got heck out of there First thing next morning..... Fun!............ (not really)

Room Tip: Choose a different Hotel!!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager207, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Akron South, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
I would like to sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have reviewed these issues with my staff to ensure that they do not happen again. Thank you for bringing them to our attention. We do have 24/7 surveillance that monitors and records so I can assure you that our hotel is a safe place to be. We also have a police officer here in the evenings. If you are in the area again we would like another opportunity to show you that we listen to our guests and have made the appropriate changes.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akron
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#4 of 11 in Akron
Hilton Garden Inn Akron
Fairfield Inn & Suites Akron Fairlawn
Courtyard Akron Downtown
Courtyard Akron Fairlawn
WoodSpring Suites Akron

Been to Red Roof Inn Akron South? Share your experiences!