“Great food, staff needs to keep their kids at home”

Winking Lizard Tavern
Ranked #17 of 502 Restaurants in Akron
Price range: US$5 - US$13
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I stopped by the Winking Lizard's (WL) new location in Fairlawn (ok, they moved some 8 months ago) with my wife mid afternoon on a Saturday, about 4:00, so I was not expecting a dinner crowd, not that there is ever the stuffed shirt kind of crowd at a WL any time of the day, so I expected to see some kids, but there were two, just running around in the dining room ... The typical kid stuff, kind of a mixture of hide & seek and tag. Where are the parents?

The surprise came later when the went in and out of the office area a few times ... are these a staffer's kids ... if so fire them for some really bad judgement. Hope this is not the same staffer preparing or serving my food. A little later one of the kids was helping a couple of patrons get popcorn (out of the popper in the lobby). Again, who do these kids belong to?

Other than that, the beer selection is huge ... But by draft Dog Fish was warm ... and the food was good.

We may go back, but it will be later in the day when in escorted kids are not allowed, but I do wonder were they are supposed to be then, playing in the parking lot?

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Terrible service, we waited an hour for our table and then an hour before our food came out. We notified the manager of how unhappy we were with the service and he had a tough luck you got great service in my eyes attitude. Food was mediocre at best (it was not worth the hour wait) the drinks from the bar were not tasty at all. We will never be returning to the Winking Lizzard in Montrose. If the manager doesn't care about the happiness of his customers I will take my money elsewhere.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Bartenders were inconsistent, helpful vs rude. How about the whole team be on the happy side, after all, we're coming here to be happy.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I met my friends at Lizardville in Fairlawn for a close friends birthday celebration and it was my first time going with winking lizard expectations. What I found out is that a regular lizard doesn't hold a candle to this place and I will be a Lizardville regular for life!
The concept is unique okay people, they carry more beers than anyone around so don't expect a list cuz this place'a beer stores wall is list. The whiskey is more than anyone around times 2!!
The service is what really captured me. Okay this was a Thursday night so you don't expect it to be dead. But this place was rockin! We had two four top tables takin up on a full patio already and found out more people were going to be joining us and "Casey" the server said you find a spot for your people and I'll take care of em! While that dude was busting his butt with another cool chick taking care of an outside bar and the whole patio... Coming from server experience.. Wow! Best part they don't just sling drinks.. He made time to chat about what I wanted and to find me some awesome things that I have never had just based on what I told him I was in a mood for! These people really know what they are doing and they are happy to help you out! I could see how a turd could say they are stuck up, but honestly they know more than you, and. They want you to have the best experience possibly... Obviously
Food was typicL lizard food which is good bar food. Except for our server talked me into gettin a pretzel.... And it knocked it out of the park!
From what I was expecting this place blew my mind. From beer and whiskey aspect no place better around. Either you can get up and pick what you want or be like me and just trust the bartender to keep you the good stuff flowing and trust me it will!

1  Thank NachoBeerMine
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Our group called ahead and was told of the "no-reservation" policy, however we had 15 people. The group mingled in the on bar area which was overcrowded for 95 minutes prior to being seated, while we watched couples come in, be seated, eat their meals, and leave. The food was OK but the wait was terrible. I would never go there with a group again.