“Re-reviewing this property” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Amherst
Hickory, North Carolina
“Re-reviewing this property”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

I've stayed at this property more than once, and posted a review that said this is a basic, decent motel. I had to be in town last week, and took the pets, so naturally booked a room here. There is new management, and it certainly shows! The room we had was designated non-smoking, but had that smell to it. The dog explored under the bed and found what appeared to be Easter candy that hadn't been cleaned up. There were two double beds, and the bedspread on one had some stains. The bed I used had a blanket with a couple burn holes. The traffic areas seemed to be clean, as was the vanity area and the bathroom. No bugs or varmints noticed, and I'm very mindful about bedbugs. In order to get more towels, the used ones had to be delivered to the front desk(I didn't have housekeeping). When I spoke to the front desk staff on check-out, I let them know that I was disappointed to see how the property has evolved. He stated that the management has had the place for about three months, and that they're remodeling the rooms, three at a time, and that it should be completed by the summer season. I pointed out that remodeling won't make up for poor housekeeping, or punitive policies regarding items like towels won't win them many repeat customers. Not sure that I'd stay there again. Maybe once more, if I wanted to be in the area, to see if it had changed.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank veracious1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Howard, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

I am a no fuss type of person. I have always prided myself in not needing fancy, expensive accomedations in a motel, and have stayed in several Motel 6s. Never, ever again. We arrived to a nonsmoking room which smelled heavily of smoke, and the swimming pool had fallen leaves floating in it. When entering, it looked pretty bad, but for 49.00, would be willing to overlook as it was for one night. AFTER my son's shower, and settled in for the night, realized commode was BROKEN and would not flush. We, still being flexible, moved to another room without being upset...yet. However, in the second room, the sink had 0 cold water, and the shower cycled regularly between scalding and cold water. It cycled regularly and was so hot that you had to move out from under the stream. The next AM when leaving, I kindly told the desk person about the additional problems only receiving an "OK" in response. Obviously, they are use to treating the customers this way. Today I received an email inviting me to fill in a survey about our stay. After doing so, I received back a form response with my name typed in from Motel 6 saying they were sorry and would correct it for the future. They appreciated me taking the time to fill it in. After a long hot day on Put-In-Bay and all of the major problems we had to deal with, the only thing I would appreciate would be a check back for my $49.00. I have never complained to a motel in the past. $49.00 should not give you luxury, but it should give you cleanliness and basic plumbing. Do not go there!

Room Tip: Do not go to Motel 6! That is what I learned from my night in Amhearst, Ohio.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rita5775

Travellers are raving about these Amherst hotels

San Jose, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

This is the worst motel ever, we had over a dozen bugs in both rooms, the rugs were very dirty and were not vacuumed, I put a bedspread on floor to walk on. Worst night of our 30 day road trip. thebeds were lumping and so soft I had a backache the next day.

Room Tip: don;t stay here spend a couple dollars more and get no bugs
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mytootsie
Hickory, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

This is a basic Motel 6. Not a remodeled higher-end property, but the carpet appeared to be new, the room was very clean, and the bed comfortable. I travel with pets, and this is a good place to stay. The staff is friendly, this was the second time I've stayed there. I reserve a room with fridge and microwave, since I'm there for several days. There is an extra charge for the fridge and micro, as well as for the wi-fi. It was explained that this wi-fi charge is standard with the 6s run by the company. There is a good 24-hour restaurant across the street, and several other options also within walking distance.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank veracious1
Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

I stayed at this motel for a week. The room was dingy and dirty. There was no maid service. They came the evening before I left to change the linen and empty the waste basket. They charged extral for WiFi. There was no coffee pot, fridge or microwave. Won't be staying there again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank MTraveler43
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

Best Motel 6 I've ever seen! The room was spotless with new carpet. Well manicured property with nicely maintained pool. Front desk personnel were professional and hospitable. Quiet, comfortable, clean, and a great value for rock bottom prices. This is a keeper! Will DEFINITELY stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011
Harlan, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2011

There was no excuse for the shape our room was in. Despite the friendliness of the staff thisis THE worst hotel I have ever been to. There were roaches, filthiness under the bed (sunflower seed hulls, dirty socks, and who knows what else; this is just what was visible), a bar of soap covered in pubic hairs left in the shower, etc. Seriously, this is the nastiest place I have ever stayed, bar none. If we had planned a longer stay, I would have demanded a refund! We only stayed two nights and I will never go back and I would not recommend this room to anyone, anywhere, on any budget, under any circumstances.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank TheMiddletonCouple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Days Inn Amherst
#3 of 11 in Elyria
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elyria
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland/Sheffield
Cambria Hotel & Suites Avon - Cleveland

Been to Motel 6 Cleveland West - Lorain - Amherst? Share your experiences!