“Better than expected”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Ashland
muncie, in
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

I got a good price through priceline. I had been here about 5 years ago and it was nice, but after reading recent reviews I was worried about what I would see. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was big and very clean. Had a nice flat screen tv. There was a couch in the room that looked like it needed to be replaced, but I didn't need to use it, so it didn't bother me. The bathroom was very clean. Breakfast was very simple. They had little boxes of cereal and a loaf of bread and some pastries. I filled up on the cereal, so can't complain. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank marino1399

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

This place was booked on my behalf for a visit to the university. Checked out reviews of course, so I was concerned even before arriving. But I wasn't paying for it, so I went anyway. Here are some adjectives associated with it: dark, old, dingy, dirty, stained, dated, worn, ugly. Enough said. Stay somewhere else (unless it's free).

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

I grew up in Ashland, and years ago the Surrey Inn was elegant. Visited ten years ago, and it was a bit run down, but still had a good appearance with clean rooms. Visited two days ago and won't be back under this management, no matter how nostalgic it could have been. If you are looking for an inexpensive stay Surrey Inn is half the price of newer Ashland hotels at the 250/71 interchange. The only pro is the price and semi-clean rooms.
Cons abound: the "exercise facility" is a broken (the mgmt. calls it "manual") treadmill and a duck-taped ab machine, in the lobby of all places! The breakfast was cold cereal, pre-packaged pastry from a discount bakery, a loaf of bread in the wrapper, a jar of peanut butter, and a gallon of milk and orange juice. There is watery coffee in the lobby, but only during breakfast. The second morning I noticed the orange juice was soured. Thinking I'd be helpful, I notified the manager. He looked at the expiration date, told me it was good and put it back. I suggested he taste it. He seemed insulted. The next day the same OJ was served. No one was drinking it. Another guest told me they purchased their own food. So did we.
In the rooms the furniture is worn and upolstered chairs are unravelling, beds were once of good quality, but now are lumpy. Bathrooms smell of mildew. Housekeeping cleans, but at every turn this management cuts corners. We were given one small bar of soap, and tiny shampoo packets. If you still decide to stay, get a room on the second floor. First floor guest hear the creaking floor boards of the guests above them, which woke up my kids every night we stayed.
Because I love my hometown and the memory of the Surrey Inn, it's sad to see the cheap attitude, and lack of vision of the management. With a little investment the hotel could attract considerable business from nearby Ashland University, and be historic, quaint, and elegant again. This management will let it become a dilapidated hovel.

Room Tip: Best views are the non-parking lot side. Quietest is the second floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Naples, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

We have stayed at this hotel for years and loved it until a few years ago when the new owners took over. They are unfriendly and have let the hotel got to crap. The breakfast is a joke and unsanitary, the beds and bed linens are years old and stained and dirty, the chairs in the room were VERY stained and disgusting. They need thrown out and all new bought. The towels need thrown out and all new bought too. Thin, scratchy and most stained. They have no tissues in the rooms. Just a real shame how they've let it run down. It used to be so nice. Will not stay again unless they do a major overhaul!!

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
, Webmaster at Surrey Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Surrey Inn Hotel for your recent stay in our area. I appreciate your calling it to our attention that the facility is not as good as it was with former owners. Hopefully this will be remedied.

• Breakfast staff received additional training in presenting a proper breakfast.

• New owners were approached about the condition of the towels and sheets and they immediately took action to have them replaced.

I hope that the next time you visit our area you will once again choose to stay at Surrey Inn Hotel. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be very pleased.

Hotel Manager.
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for my sons graduation, I found the hotel very good value and we had a pleasant stay. It does seem a little dated on appearance however the room was very clean and everything was in good working order. Breakfast was not worth talking about but still a basic meal if you require. The staff were friendly :)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Nevada, Iowa, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

The front desk service guy acted like we were inconviencing him. We had a smoking room and asked for an ashtray, a box of kleenex and a guide for the tv. After 40 minutes I called the front desk, and he said he would be there in a few minutes. He came with 1 ashtray. He told us to leave the window open to let the smoke out. There were no screens on the windows. We never got the box of kleenex or the tv guide. He didn't even know what we were talking about when we asked about them. The room itself was ok, but for the money we paid the service was bad. We checked out at 6 am on Sunday moring because we had a 12 hour drive home. When I got to the front desk, there was no one around. I rang the bell for service, and the same guy came out of the first room. It was very obivious that I had woke him up. Guess I'm not used to staying in a place where there isn't someone on duty 24 hours a day. Overall, wouldn't stay here again unless it was the very last resort!!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

The stay at Surrey Inn was decent. It seemed to be run by a family who took turns at the desk. They were a bit hard to understand at times, but were friendly. The rooms were clean, but I could have done without the room deodorizor. It seemed funny to stay at a place that still used room keys, but they work. The little basket in the room for "tips" brought snickers from several guests. The breakfast was minimal. There was no water to make the oatmeal, one type of coffee, one kind of bread for toast (same loaf all three mornings), one type of peanut butter (large jar that everyone dug into), no fruit, no hot chocolate. They rooms were quiet and had new flat screen tvs in them. It was okay and beat competitors pricing, just don't expect any frills.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
Holiday Inn Express Ashland
#5 of 15 in Mansfield
La Quinta Inn & Suites Mansfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Ashland
Hampton Inn & Suites Mansfield-South @ I-71

Been to Surrey Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!