“Decent place....” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Ashland
Fairfax, Virginia, United States
“Decent place....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I liked the hotel's location - it is really convenient to Ashland University. The breakfast could be better. There was nothing really there, and you could tell a lot of it was from the day before. But other than that, I don't really have a problem with the place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 123AShifflett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Beckley, West Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Booked a room in April of 2011 for three days, advised clerk at the front desk at time of check-in due to a change in our itinerary we would only be needing the room for two days.

At the time of booking a credit/debit card was required to hold this room - no mention of a deposit being taken. However, it turns out they charged all three days in advance of my stay! I checked out on a Sunday morning around 08:00 and was told by the gentleman (manager) at the desk he could not authorize a credit/refund to my card and that I would have to call AAA, which I booked the reservation through.

To make a long story short, it took multiple letters and phone calls to the central headquarters and to the management [by me and a local AAA representative] as well as a complaint filed with BBB to finally get my money credited back to my account. Be very careful booking - will use a regular credit card the next time.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 896Kathy1963
Galloway, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

Beyond the title, I found little to recommend at this establishment. The rooms were clean but had inferior linens, towels, toiletries,etc. There was no exhaust fan in the bathroom, so it remained damp at all times. There was no obvious mold, but I did not look above the drop ceiling. The room had to be vacated before 11:00 am or no cleaning was done. Apparently they used check out time as the end of housekeeping day. Parking and entrance to the hotel were both difficult, as there is no direct entrance from the main avenue of Claremont and the alley was filled with pot holes and dumpsters! The continental breakfast was a joke...a loaf of bread and stale pastries, seriously??? Even the in room coffee was subpar and you were unable to obtain a second serving of creamer or sweetener. There was an in room fridge which was a plus, as was the flat screen TV. My son is a student as Ashland and we will definitely not be staying at this hotel again, despite the walking distance to campus.

Room Tip: absolutely insist upon king bed as these rooms have a sofa and some extra space. first floor rooms...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nshawk
muncie, in
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

I got a good price through priceline. I had been here about 5 years ago and it was nice, but after reading recent reviews I was worried about what I would see. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was big and very clean. Had a nice flat screen tv. There was a couch in the room that looked like it needed to be replaced, but I didn't need to use it, so it didn't bother me. The bathroom was very clean. Breakfast was very simple. They had little boxes of cereal and a loaf of bread and some pastries. I filled up on the cereal, so can't complain. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank marino1399
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

This place was booked on my behalf for a visit to the university. Checked out reviews of course, so I was concerned even before arriving. But I wasn't paying for it, so I went anyway. Here are some adjectives associated with it: dark, old, dingy, dirty, stained, dated, worn, ugly. Enough said. Stay somewhere else (unless it's free).

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

I grew up in Ashland, and years ago the Surrey Inn was elegant. Visited ten years ago, and it was a bit run down, but still had a good appearance with clean rooms. Visited two days ago and won't be back under this management, no matter how nostalgic it could have been. If you are looking for an inexpensive stay Surrey Inn is half the price of newer Ashland hotels at the 250/71 interchange. The only pro is the price and semi-clean rooms.
Cons abound: the "exercise facility" is a broken (the mgmt. calls it "manual") treadmill and a duck-taped ab machine, in the lobby of all places! The breakfast was cold cereal, pre-packaged pastry from a discount bakery, a loaf of bread in the wrapper, a jar of peanut butter, and a gallon of milk and orange juice. There is watery coffee in the lobby, but only during breakfast. The second morning I noticed the orange juice was soured. Thinking I'd be helpful, I notified the manager. He looked at the expiration date, told me it was good and put it back. I suggested he taste it. He seemed insulted. The next day the same OJ was served. No one was drinking it. Another guest told me they purchased their own food. So did we.
In the rooms the furniture is worn and upolstered chairs are unravelling, beds were once of good quality, but now are lumpy. Bathrooms smell of mildew. Housekeeping cleans, but at every turn this management cuts corners. We were given one small bar of soap, and tiny shampoo packets. If you still decide to stay, get a room on the second floor. First floor guest hear the creaking floor boards of the guests above them, which woke up my kids every night we stayed.
Because I love my hometown and the memory of the Surrey Inn, it's sad to see the cheap attitude, and lack of vision of the management. With a little investment the hotel could attract considerable business from nearby Ashland University, and be historic, quaint, and elegant again. This management will let it become a dilapidated hovel.

Room Tip: Best views are the non-parking lot side. Quietest is the second floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
Holiday Inn Express Ashland
#5 of 15 in Mansfield
La Quinta Inn & Suites Mansfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Mansfield-South @ I-71
Holiday Inn Mansfield Conference Center

Been to Surrey Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!