“totally worth it tourist trap!”

Grandpa's Cheesebarn
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Ashland
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Oh Grandpa's.... You see signs for pretty much once you get out of Cleveland or Columbus on 71. And since there's not a whole lot in between the 2 towns it's a great place to stop.

Bit of advice, come hungry! There are soooo many things to sample, and buy! pickles, meats, pickled meats, bread, dips, spreads, and of course, cheese! 2 floors of it in fact!! Sadly, they don't have a lot of their cheese curds to sample, which i thought was a bummer as they had so many varieties of curds! I ended up buying some and they weren't too bad at all!

There is also ice cream and a small deli in the building. And the main thing, is the grilled cheese. Taken from the cheeses just upstairs! The food is very decently priced and pretty large portions too! I took half my sandwich home! the chicken salad sandwich is excellent! If you check in on facebook or foursquare you get a free scoop of ice cream, so there's that too.

There is also a chocolate shop across the parking lot, and if you're looking for a place to hunker down , they have small bed and breakfast cabins on the property as well. This is a great stop to stretch your legs, get some food, and of course, pick up some cheese as a snack on your drive!

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We kept seeing signs for Grandpa's Cheese Barn on our trips back and forth to central Ohio, and our teen daughter wanted to stop. They have a huge selection of fresh cheeses as well as various butters, candies, etc. When we stopped it was very crowded but we were able to sample a little bit of whatever we wanted to. I would recommend stopping if you want some unique food items, but don't care about large price tags.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Perfect stop between Indy and Cleveland. Not only did we get to stretch our legs and take a few funny pictures, but there were two stories of delicious samples. According to their brochure, 175 cheeses and 12 homemade spreads to be exact (plus salsas, jellies, dips and meat samples). Try the Coconut macaroons and beet chips at Grandpas; Sweeties Jumbo Chocolates across the street is okay, but no where near the quality of Grandpas. The original Grandpa himself was still serving cheese and posing for pics with tourists. very refreshing stop.

Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

I love this little place. The loaded potato soup with applewood smoked bacon and turkey panini are great!!! I like that you can sample most cheeses before you buy. Some of the cheese is expensive but not any pricier than say giant eagle. Everyone I've ever had contact with has been friendly. I usually stop in once a month. Great little spot for lunch.