Gilded Swan Bed and Breakfast
US$103
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
Great 4.5/5
Dian's Poolside Motel(Geneva on the Lake)
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I have never been to a bed and breakfast so I wasnt quite sure what to expect. The minute we got there , we were welcomed by the owner Elaine. She was great, very warm and welcoming. Everything was great. She made sure you felt like you were in a home environment, instead of staying at a boring hotel. The house was gorgeous. So comfy and kind of made me not want to go home! It was quiet and peaceful. Just a very warm and welcoming place. In the morning Elaine cooked us all a wonderful breakfast before checkout time, and ended up talking and telling stories for about two hours! I definitely will be back, and I give this bed and breakfast five stars!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqueline K
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Ashtabula is not what you might call a destination for most people. However, I lived there for a number of years and combined with the world famous Geneva Grape Jamboree brought about my return to the River of many fishes.

The Gilded Swan is a gem hidden the middle of Ohio Wine Country. The house has been meticulously restored and lovingly decorated in a Victorian style with antiques and reproduction pieces.

We stayed in the Vintage Suite. It is tastefully decorated, has a sumptuous king bed and a private bath. Additionally, it has it's own exterior entrance and a sitting room.

Breakfast featured sweet potato pancakes scones, and fresh fruit .

Ashtabula is the north boarder of Ohio's rust belt and shows all of the signs of a community on the decline. However, it is convenient to 20+ excellent wineries and some very good sports fishing. There are 3 nice bed and breakfasts here and the Gilded Swan is the place to stay! An excellent inn, perfectly placed for a wine tour or any other activity you are interested in.

While in 'bulla we ate at Martini's and it was fantastic.

We have stayed at many BnB's over the years and the Gilded Swan was one of the best for quality and price.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MSGTBLM
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Our stay was a delightful visit to the past by being furnished through out The B&B with antiques and creative breakfasts. Elaine was an interesting and wonderful host catering to all of our needs.
The Inn is centrally located to all points of interest in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ron D
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We booked a room for my parent at the Gilded Swan and could not have been more pleased. Elaine Swanson, the proprietor, was a most gracious and accommodating hostess. The house is beautifully decorated and the breakfasts were delicious. Elaine even sat down with us at breakfast and shared her knowledge of Ashtabula. By the time my parents checked out, we felt like old friends. What a wonderful experience!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joni H
Reviewed 5 April 2013

The rooms are nice, the place is clean, the breakfast is excellent, the rest of the house is nicely decorated. It is within easy walking distance of several fast food restaurants, a couple of sit down restaurants and a drug store. The innkeeper is pleasant and informed about the area and can steer you to most of what you may want or need. It is not within an easy walk of the beach.

Only the king suite is on the ground floor. It has a bedroom, a tiny sitting room with the side entrance door and a door to the dining room, an ensuite with a jacuzzi tub, a dressing alcove and closet. The television is tiny, so figure on using your computer for viewing entertainment. They have free and very reliable wifi. I had no trouble streaming anything. They provide access to shampoo and have little soap bars and a hair dryer, but not the lotion and so forth that I have become accustomed to in hotels.

There are another three rooms on the upper floor, one with an ensuite, and the other two with their own half baths, and sharing a full bath. I had use of the kitchen during the day, though all I used was the microwave to make tea.

There are winerys (I am not sure I spelled that correctly - wineries?) in the area and covered bridges, though many are said to be remote and on dirt roads, some are accessible to those of us who are less committed to finding them. The lake is a very easy drive away, as are those winerys.

They are very accommodating here and will likely meet most reasonable requests.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple