“OMG....not worth the wait.”
Review of Court Street Diner

Court Street Diner
Ranked #21 of 120 Restaurants in Athens
Cuisines: American
Omaha, Nebraska
“OMG....not worth the wait.”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Trust me, I get the whole "first day of school" excitement and having to wait, so that was to be expected on August 23rd when the young folks were getting acclimated into school. My son had been their for a week already, so I only had to bring a few things. After the hour, plus drive to get to Athens, I was hungry. My son suggested a place we had not yet been. We walked to the Court Street Diner and was greeted with a line....no problem. I'm thinking it has to be good if there's a wait, but apparently there were waits at every cafe, diner and fast food place due to the circumstances. He and I waited for about 10 minutes to get a table-not bad! The hostess immediately gets a server's attention and apologizes to her for getting ready to "double sit" her. I know what that means, so I'm expecting a grumpy server. It would seem 10 minutes would go by before we were acknowledge by a server, but wait, not our server. Eventually, a "happy go lucky" comes over and says sorry for our wait. Seriously, I was ready to leave. We already knew what we wanted-we had enough time to think and re-think of what we would order. My son ordered some pancake looking sandwich with a sausage patty, hashbrowns and a egg in the center. I ordered the cod fillet sandwich with broccoli. OMG, it probably took a good 45 minutes for that to come. By the time we received our food, it was warm, at best, the fish over cooked and we were out of water. Let's just say, if I had to go back, I'd probably throw a temper tantrum. I would consider giving another go, but NOT when they're swamped because they clearly cannot handle volume....or was it the server. HMMMM!

• Visited August 2012

Astoria, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food portions great, service sometimes lackluster”
Reviewed 31 July 2012

As a long time resident of Athens, I've had my fair share of CSD. I have had 4 star experiences there, and 2 star experiences. Generally, the food is awesome. HUGE portions, especially for the omelettes. The facilities are usually very clean, and the kitschy appeal of the retro look is fun. The reason I would give the place a three star rating is simply because depending on who is working and how they feel, you may get fantastic service or the slowest most agonizing wait of your life. Not to mention it's central Court St location and popularity add to the wait (much like Casa Neuva). I would recommend eating here if you never have, but for our-of-towners visiting, you could experience something much like CSD in other cities, so I would recommend staples like Big Mama's Burritos, Casa Neuva O'Betty's.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank CBPoindexter
Meadville, PA
“Love this place”
Reviewed 11 July 2012

A wonderful old fashioned diner. The breakfasts are yummy. I especially like the omelets. Great diner decor- red, white and silver everywhere. A great place to sit and watch the action on Court Street.

• Visited July 2012
“What a real diner is like”
Reviewed 15 May 2012

It was noisy but that is what diners are. The food selection was classic diner food with a couple non-typical ones thrown in for fun, like a spinach and cheese omelet. It wasn't pricey per se but kind of was if you ordered a la carte, a muffin for $2.50 for example. Would go again. A fun experience.

Visited May 2012
Athens, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love the shiny diner!”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Always a good choice, a solid selection of diner favorites, great staff, and good food - especially the milkshakes!

Visited February 2012

Been to Court Street Diner? Share your experiences!