“Clean and comfortable”
Review of Hometown Inn

Hometown Inn
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I visited during the Ohio Brew Week in Athens, June, 2013. I was looking for a clean, comfortable place to stay for a night.This place was just what I was looking for. There are no big frills, swimming pool, exercise room, etc. etc.etc. But I wasn't looking for a bunch of extras, anyway. The place is obviously old, but it is clean. It is two miles from the OU campus and uptown Athens. Very comfortable bed, nice to have the little fridge, too. The owners were very nice folks--I would stay here in the future, and probably will.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hometown Inn

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed here last weekend for an event in downtown Athens. The hotels was $60 after tax and was worth every bit of it. I cranked the AC up and room got really cold. The room was clean and staff was friend. The cab ride was only $6 to down town. Very happy with my stay!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jmaxeden
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Very surprised by the Hotel Inn Athens! Very affordable compared to the other hotels in area..which are very limited. Manager/Owner at desk, could not have been more polite! Room very clean! A bit dated here & there..but nothing to be concerned about. Unlike 1 prior review, zero bugs in the room. I will definitely return to this hotel next time in the area! Do not expect the ritz...but for a affordable clean room, this is it!

Room Tip: Most rooms you can back your car up to the door..LOVE IT!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank luvscigars
Reviewed 30 June 2013

The title sums it up. This retro-motel reminds me of trips with my parents. The room was clean and beds comfortable. That's all I needed. The owners are very nice. Free coffee and muffins in the morning - this is the best value in Athens, if you just need a nice place to stay. Extras include, small fridge, iron, blow dryer, microwave in the vending area, free parking. I would recommend Hometown and will stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank dreamerbee
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I stayed on a recent Sunday evening, paying $45 for a single. Very close to Route 32 traffic; keeping the air conditioner on the fan setting created sufficient white noise so the traffic noise wasn't a problem.

Room was basic; everything worked. Agreeable place if you're primarily looking for a bed.

Breakfast offerings were coffee and prefab muffins; didn't have a muffin, went into town for meals.

Will return if I'm in the area.

Room Tip: All rooms face the highway
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My children and I needed a place to stay last minute. There was one room left it was priced at 149.00 for the night. I told him 120.00 was what I could pay. He accepted. However the toilet wouldn't flush and the tv volume was broke. I explained this to the manager in the am. He brushed me off and offered no refund. If you have kids I would not stay here. I only did because it was mothers weekend at OU. I do however recommend Holiday in express they were very helpful even if a room wasn't available.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I lived, went to school, and worked in beautiful Athens, OH for nearly 10 years, but left town for another job 7 years ago. After getting tired of couch surfing during my first 2 years of returning to Athens to visit, I began looking into local hotels to stay at.

I stopped in and price-checked at the two new big chain hotels that had been recently built. As a rewards club member of both chains, and a AAA card holder, I was unable to negotiate a rate under $100 at either hotel...and the parking lots of both were empty. I remembered this old hotel a mile or two south of downtown athens, and went to check it out. I got a single-bed room at a rate of $45 per night. That hotel was the Hometown Inn (was called Budget Host at the time, but now privately owned by the same people and called Hometown Inn). I stayed for 3 nights. My total bill was only $25 more than one night would have been at the cheapest of the two big chain hotels. Five years later, the rate for a single-bed is still currently $45 per night.

I've had at least 10 different stays here over the past 5 years, ranging anywhere from 1-5 nights per stay. I have never stayed anywhere else in town, as this is the cheapest rate that I am aware of. It is certainly the best value. The owners have owned the property for decades. Their experience has paid off, as they run a very efficient, guest-friendly place. It is their family business, so they give you a little more service and courtesy than you may find in a chain hotel. They even brushed off 4 inches of snow off my car in the morning, during my most recent stay last weekend.

Unlike the reviewer who conveniently found bed bugs on the 3rd and final night of his stay, after mysteriously being bed bug free his first two nights, I have never seen a single bed bug, roach, or spider in all the nights I've stayed here. I've easily slept in at least 7 or 8 different rooms, both single-bed and two-bed rooms.

About this hotel:
- Desk
- Iron/board
- Phone
- Athens visitors guides
- Coffee maker w/ coffee packs
- Plenty of in-room lighting and parking lot lighting
- Minor noise from nearby highway. You get used to it.
- Lobby has stock of basic amenities in case you forget, say, a toothbrush
- Single-bed and two-bed rooms, smoking and non-smoking. Non-smoking rooms are truly non-smoking...no smokey smell drifts from the smoking rooms into the non-smoking ones.
- Only $13 cab ride ROUND TRIP to downtown athens (with Green Cab)

Sure this place has a few minor imperfections, but I am someone that looks for a clean, affordable place with a somewhat comfortable bed. I'm not going to pay nearly three times the nightly rate just to get a more "modern" looking room. Personally, I think the 60's/70's decor adds a bit of character and nostalgia to the place. It's all very clean every time, so it doesn't matter to me that it looks old. When visiting, I generally am not in the room that much anyhow.

One other point I should make. During special college weekends such as homecoming, halloween, parents weekend, etc, all the hotels in town jack up the rates since every hotel room in town sells out regardless of price. The Hometown Inn understandably does the same, but they are still the cheapest rate in town. I've personally checked all the other hotels in town for Homecoming and Halloween weekends, and the Hometown Inn always has the cheapest rate.

If you're not an overly-fussy traveler, I would definitely suggest trying a stay at this place.

Room Tip: Smoking and non-smoking rooms available. One bed and two bed rooms available.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo