“Bates Motel...gross”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Aurora
Cleveland, Ohio
“Bates Motel...gross”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

Paid $600 for 1 night for dinner/breakfast and couples massages. The massages were fine. The dinner took 2hrs and the menu was limited. The room was gross and we felt like we were staying in a run down motel. The pictures speak 1,000 words. We will not be back.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Irish G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Wooster, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

What started off as a great idea [Gift card from wife] went down hill very fast. I called the Medina location and schedualed a massage. I sat down and completed the paperwork and had a glass of water, I had a funny feeling something was not right. The "Therapist" and I'll use this term loosely seemed out of her element. She took my paperwork and lead me to the massage room, as she gave me directions on what to do she became a little distracted? When she came back into the room and began my massage I new what the problem was. She didn't know how to perform a massage? Her technique sucked! She was real jerky when she tried things and she had the nerve to tell me that she had been doing this for awhile? Peggy or Patty whatever your name was, you do not know how to perform massage!! Whatever you had to eat the night before, I could smell it on your breath. You were also short of breath, which also was another indicator that you were not a massage therapist. The massage was "Terrible" When i went to get my coat, guess what was on the wall next to the coat rack????? The license for all the employees. My guess was correct, the older out of shape woman was not even a "Therapist" she was a cosmetologist! Her and the manager saw me looking at the wall and when I turned around they both just put their heads down and turned red. I've told all my friends and associates about this and they could not believe that a high end place like Mario's would ever do something like that! I will NOT go back to Mario's ever.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
13 Thank dtarten

Travellers are raving about these Aurora hotels

Malvern
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

Very simply said, we loved our stay at Mario's. Very sad to read all the negative reviews. Spa services were wonderful. Spa is being renovated, so it will be even better next time. Technicians were sweet, accommodating, and professional. The hotel is charming...yes, old & therefore walls are thin...play some music in your room or turn on fan or TV, problem solved! Hotel was clean, beds were comfortable, and hot tub in bathroom was fantastic...again, bring music! Cabin restaurant was, as always, perfection. Wonderful selection of gourmet food plus basic choices for the teenagers in our group. Service was very adequate since the restaurant was packed. Special shout out to Ben, the sous chef. He was darling, welcoming, and so helpful. We went with great expectations & left completely satisfied.

Room Tip: Bring music, turn on TV, run air conditioning or fan...thin wall problem, solved!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Nan440
Medina, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

We arrived at night, and we could not find an entrance to a parking lot as it is not marked. The holiday decorations in the lobby/restaurant were very pretty. Cheese plate in room was 8 ritz crackers, and hunks of cheese of unknown variety. Champagne was in white wine glasses... Carpet in room had ripples all over where it had stretched and never repaired. Facility rundown and dirty. Our dinner time was 8:30, we were seated at 9:30, and did not receive our entrees until 11:30. They ran out of everything in the kitchen, or so we were told. Breakfast was nasty. The bacon was deep fried! Carton of orange juice was sitting in ice bin at bar. Hello, no sanitation there! I could go on forever, but one has the clues. Knew not to purchase spa services as they are twice the price anywhere else in town, but not even half the quality others offer. Run away from Marios.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank TerryMedina_Ohio
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012 via mobile

My daughter and I got a massage and she got an eyebrow wax. The eyebrow wax was great but everything from that point on was disappointing. The robe they gave me was very worn and was not big and comfy. Trying to keep a small robe, that feels like a Brillo pad because it so worn, is hard to keep closed and sit properly at the same time. The flip flops were hard too get on because they were too small. The spa facility is very worn down with chipped paint and tattered furniture. The massage was good. I had a pleasant older gentleman who gave a good massage. Now for our room. The room was well done with big comfortable beds and great cotton bedding. The rooms were a nice size and well taken care of. The restaurant had a great ambience but terrible service. The first thing the waitress said is that we must be there on a package in a sarcastic tone. It took sometime for her to complete our order because every time she started to take it the phone rang and she had to take the call for carry out orders. It took sometime to get the food, which was adequate, but why, we were one of only three tables filled. No one was there. The breakfast served in our room was fresh, generous, timely and good. Overall the service was poor in the restaurant. The service in the spa was good but the facility and supplies left much to be desired. The room was great. Know what you are getting into before you decide to go. Too high of expectations can lead to great disapointment.

• Stayed November 2012
5 Thank Kittycows
Twinsburg, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

My wife and i stayed at mario's for a sweetest day/evening treat. Big waste of money. Whirlpool in grotto was not working which forced us to have to use the steam room which was unbearably hot. Dinner was to be have a $25 dining credit per person and server wanted to argue that it was per table until we showed her the email confirming our per person credit. Took her and someone else almost 30 minutes to correct the bill. Never received our champagne and strawberries, when we asked the next morning at check out the clerk told us we should have called to ask for them to be brought to our room. Continental breakfast was a few slices of melon and a mini muffin. I tried to contact the owner.manager today and was told to email her. No response from her. Don't waste your money here!

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Tburgmb
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

I only visited the spa for a facial and massage. The services were fine, but the facilities are old, dirty, and very outdated. I feel bad for the employees that have to work there and too bad their company won't pay to update the facilities. So many nicer spas in the area, including Walden just a few miles away. I don't know how they intend to stay open and compete.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank blondeinwi99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aurora
The Aurora Inn Hotel & Event Center
Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square
The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland
The Ritz-Carlton, Cleveland
#15 of 38 in Cleveland
Bertram Inn and Conference Center
Hilton Garden Inn Cleveland/Twinsburg
Wingate by Wyndham Streetsboro/Cleveland Southeast

Been to Mario's International Spa and Hotel? Share your experiences!