“Tranquil Winter Overnight”

Ranked #1 of 1 Aurora B&B and Inns
Akron, Ohio
“Tranquil Winter Overnight”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Walden never disappoints. My husband and I have chosen it as a romantic winter getaway annually, for the last 6 years. The stroll from Inn to Spa is lined with floor to ceiling windows that capture the sun off of a spectacular blanket of undisturbed snow. It instantly slows my step. Walden always quietly gives time and space to winter’s splendor.

The decor is a timeless modern, arty, with much attention to detail. The creative in me responds to the many comfy writing nooks throughout. Large fireplaces make the invitation to peruse their collection of art books compelling. If I could write a novel, it would flow from my pen from one of three choice window-seats in our favorite Loft Suite.

Their Spa rooms are unusual and have to be experienced — thick with luxury and privacy. If I can’t relax in there, I can’t relax anywhere!

Dinner at The Barn feels far from home, even though we live 45 minutes away. We were chauffeured from the Inn, door to door, down a country lane. The employees are devoted locals, earnest in carefully attending to guests. Both dinner at The Barn and breakfast the next morning at the Café (Valentine’s Day weekend) were punctuated by prettily-concocted complimentary tastings from the chef.

It’s a small operation, and the Inn Manager is in continuous attendance. He greets us with recall, and was ready to assist me with my cross-country skis when I returned from a Sunday morning Nature Trail jaunt. Breakfast at the Café is healthy and delightful, and sipping coffee couldn’t have been more blissful as we watched snow fall lightly outside among pines.

The charm of Walden truly makes the occasional slight error insignificant. Our loft room was sans coffee-creamer and there was an accidental omitting of a robe. The Inn Manager was quick to remedy this; arriving at the room swiftly he greeted us brightly, and apologized profusely for the oversight.

Scattered through the Inn and Café are these funny skirted ceiling-lampshades, that bring to my mind wide matrons with swinging hips. It’s an amusing oddity (To each his own!), seen against an otherwise stylish backdrop that’s all pleasure to behold. I’ve fallen in love with the place. I always hate to leave it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathie H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Hotel rooms do not get much nicer, certainly not for the money. I've stayed at the Walden a half dozen times for work and it is always my first choice. The rooms are enormous and beautiful. I wish every hotel room was like this. The staff is extremely professional and friendly. Can't go wrong here...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank zakvek
Arkansas
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came to Inn Walden for some alone time away from the kiddos. When we arrived, we were greeted and immediately taken to our Loft Suite. It was absolutely beautiful. Every detail was taken care of and the room was immaculate. The king size bed was comfortable, the fireplace was warm and inviting, the shower was top notch and huge, and we had a beautiful view of a snow covered field. The first night we had reservations at The Barn for dinner and one of the staff members drove us over in a Mercedes. Dinner was excellent and I HIGHLY recommend the Chocolate Mousse for desert. When dinner was over we were escorted back to the Inn. Our room had been refreshed and our bed was turned down with robes and a beautiful rose and macaroons near. This had to be the quiestest hotel we have ever stayed at. We slept wonderfully and were never disturbed.
We had spa treatments scheduled for Friday night in a couples suite. We had 30 minutes to enjoy the Jacuzzi and steam shower before our treatments. I had a massage and facial and my husband had a massage and back facial. The staff was AMAZING. I have been to several different spas and this had to be the absolute best spa EVER. They took their time and it was the best facial I have ever had. When it was over, we had another 30 minutes to stay in the suite and were given robes and socks to head to our rooms. I havent been so relaxed in a while! The only drawback I can think of was that we could hear people in other rooms (staff cleaning up I imagine) while we were having our treatments. It was kind of annoying because they were quite loud for about 30 minutes or so. Doors banging and such. Not good but the ladies doing our massages were wonderful. We had room service delivered to our room from The Clubhouse and it was waiting on us when we returned. The staff took WONDERFUL care of us. Especially Sarah. She was terrific. We will DEFINITELY be back again soon!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank awebb17
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My wife and I stayed here on our wedding night and we were not disappointed. The room was very large, and it was staged with candles, rose pedals, and chilled champagne. It was quiet and provided a great place to relax after a long day. The suite had a fireplace, large spa-like tub, walk in shower, two toilets, walk-in closet, sitting area, and patios. We didn't try the restaurants, but we were very pleased with the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TB1019
New Albany, Ohio
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Absolutely beautiful inn. Gorgeous big rooms. First class staff and service. A great experience. Highly recommended! The setting is spectacular. The food is excellent. Perfect place for families or couples.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BuckeyeReviewer
Warren, Ohio, USA
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My husband and I have been here several times and truly love the laid-back atmosphere. The suites are large, staff is very accommodating and very friendly. Best features are the little details that make you feel pampered...turn-down service with a rose on your pillow. Champagne and tea lights beside your Jacuzzi tub when you have been chauffeured back from an amazing dinner at The Barn. And we love waking up to complimentary homemade muffins hanging on your door in a basket with the morning newspaper. This little gem is the perfect romantic overnight/weekend getaway for two!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Eastlake, Ohio
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My wife and I went here for our anniversary for 1 night on a Saturday in October. We arrived at 12:15 and our room was available which was nice. We had the standard suite (room 7) which was very large. No fireplace but large bathroom and big sitting area with sofa. We had a couples spa package at the spa from 1:00-5:00. My wife was beyond thrilled with spa. The couples suite is enormous. A huge jacuzzi with a shower and steam, the massage tables were heated and actually recline which I've never seen before. I had a 90 minute massage with Nikki and 60 minute scrub with Carly. Both were great. My wife had 90 minute massage and then a pedicure. She said the pedicure was the best she ever had. They had some dark chocolates in the room for us, as well a bottled water, robes, towels, lotions, soaps, shampoo to shower, and just about anything you would need. A nice touch too was champagne in the suite when we arrived. Only problem my wife had was her vision was blurry after getting up from the massage table when done. She asked for some solution to help her contacts, but nobody ever came back. Took a few hours for eyes to clear up. After our services we went to dinner to the Barn. They take you in a car (mercedes) over to dinner which is a 2 minute drive. Nice touch to take us in the car but it was filthy in the backseat. I can't believe it's not cleaned at least once a week. Looks like it had not been cleaned in 3 weeks. Dinner was excellent though. Extremely good. We got some movie rentals that were complimentary to watch in the room (they have a theater but it was not available). When got back in the room with movies, they had turned down the room with our robes on the bed, had chocolate strawberries for us, and a bottle of champagne. Very very nice. In the morning, there was a basket with 2 chocolate chip muffins outside our door with a newspaper. Breakfast was also included at the blue ribbon cafe and was phenomenal. Best french toast Ive ever had. However, the biggest downside of the night here was the shower was dirty. The drain was filled with hair and obviously was never cleaned or was overlooked. For the price paid, this is completely unacceptable. When I told someone named Mike he gave an apology but did not seem concerned at all.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JFG0180
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aurora
The Aurora Inn Hotel & Event Center
Hilton Cleveland Downtown
#3 of 38 in Cleveland
InterContinental Hotel Cleveland
Hyatt Regency Cleveland at The Arcade

Been to Inn Walden? Share your experiences!