“Professionalism and wonderful customer service”

Sleep Inn & Suites Ashtabula
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Austinburg
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The staff has been the most helpful and accommodating we've stayed with in recent memory. Always cheerful and smiling as well finding ways to ensure your comfort in the motel. The only downside was the mattress - it was awful. V shaped and well past it's usable life.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
PamJenkins, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Ashtabula, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Thank you for your response, we love to hear feedback so we know what we are doing right as well as what we need to improve. We are in the process of renovations, which includes newer mattresses, so we hope that you will return in the future. Happy Holidays!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We had been in the room about an hour when my friend discovered large slugs crawling up the wall in our room! Not OK! The carpet was wet out in the hallway. When we commented to office clerk, she said "We've had a lot of rain lately". It wasn't her fault. We did get a different room but not much compensation at the time. A refund has been received since then. Don't stay on the first floor unless they have addressed this issue.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

We sincerely apologize for your inconvenience and hope that you consider staying at our hotel again after our renovations are complete. Happy Holidays!

Reviewed 29 October 2013

The hotel was OK, I guess. There was a sign up in the lobby that rooms are in the process of being renovated, but we had the feeling our room had not yet been reached. The room was clean enough, but we did find that the bedcovers had a rather unpleasant, musty smell, so we removed them and put them on a high shelf out of the way. Other than that, we had no real complaints, and the beds were quite comfortable. Breakfast, from what I can remember, was also not bad. One of those hotels that doesn't leave much of an impression - either good or bad.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your response, we hope you will stay at our hotel in the future if you are in the area.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Stayed in Room 114. I'll start off by saying that the front desk people I dealt with were very nice, which is the main reason I gave the property an "average" rating vs. something lower. The free breakfast was probably the best I have had at a hotel in this price range. They had eggs, sausage, pastries, juice, coffee, yogurt, cereal. The general condition of the room and the property is pretty nice. And there was a small pool if you have kids. I didn't use it, but it looked nice when I peeked in.

But, there was mold on the shower door and on the bathroom walls. The air conditioner didn't work. The ironing board wasn't functional. The wifi kept going down.

In fairness, the front desk person knocked 10 bucks off the price of the room when I mentioned the air conditioner and the iron board on check-out, even though I did not ask for a discount. And they did tell me about the problems with the wifi before I checked in. Like I said, they're nice. However, if you're going to spend 89 bucks on a room, the type of events mentioned above shouldn't happen.......especially the mold.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
PamJenkins, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Ashtabula, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know how your stay was, we use this information when training our staff, and to follow up to make sure we are always meeting our guest expectations. We apologize for any inconveniences and We hope that you will return to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

After a VERY long drive, all I wanted to do was sleep. Was just making a coffee and a phone call when the hotel alarm sounded. As I assumed you evacuate when you hear this noise I left my room. I was the first person seen by a male member of staff and he automatically assumed that I was the guilty party as no one else had left their room. As he came charging towards me others came out of their rooms and on seeing the member of staff enter my room assumed that I must be guilty. Some of them even followed the member of staff into my room!! The guy did not ask them to leave he just let them wander, look around and look me up and down, seething because they had been disturbed. Despite the fact I insisted that it wasn't me that had set off the alarm the staff guy took no notice, fetched his ladder and started dismantling the smoke detector whilst other guest stood staring at me mumbling "He CLAIMS he was JUST making coffee". In directly accusing me of something else. The staff took no measures to move them away. I ran around collecting up my affairs, passport ,my money on the bed etc which he had left free access to. The alarm sounded for a good few hours. I sat in the reception getting looks from guests who had been led to believe it was my fault. A technician was called and started running allover the place. I asked the receptionist why and she said he was trying to find the fault. I asked "So I was right, it wasn't me that set it off"? expecting an apology . She just said 'no it wasn't your room". I started falling asleep in reception. I came round and noticed the alarm had stopped. "Is it over ?" I asked reception. "Yes" was the answer. I was fuming "You couldn't tell me?!! What the hell do you think I'm doing falling asleep in reception? Was you just planning to leave me here for the night? One of your staff leads all the guests to believe Im guilty and when he finds out im not he doesn't apologize and now on top of that you think im sleeping in reception for my health?" I walked off. Reception later called to say the manager was offering me a room on another floor as they could not guarantee the alarm would not go off. I moved rooms but it would have been nice to receive an apology for the way the male member of staff had acted and it's a shame I had to get arsey in order to be offered another room.

Room Tip: Just don't come out of your room if the alarm goes off. you'll b accused of setting off the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
PamJenkins, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Ashtabula, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Good Afternoon,
I was surprised when I saw this post, as I was here the night and remember the situation very well, I very much apologize that you felt that way. At no point did we blame you as we knew immediately that there was a glitch within the system and we didn't realize that any other guest had found you at fault either, if we had certainly we would have made it known that it was not your fault at all. And of course, if we had known you felt this way at all, we would have apologizied. I did apologize for the inconvenience and offered to assist you in moving to another room, and felt awful that you had to be moved. I sincerely hope that you accept our apology and stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

I stay here 2-3 times a year. I visit family so spend little time in my room. I like the free breakfast so I don't have to make an extra stop. My grandchildren usually come over one night and swim with me. That is enjoyable. I always ask for a walk-in shower due to knee issues and that is accommodating for me. The staff is always courteous and helpful if i need it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay, feedback always helps us to continue to ensure our guests have a great stay when they are here, and we are pleased that we were able to make that happen for you. Hope to see you return soon.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

The place is rundown and our room, 208, which we are still in, is a Non Smoking, however has smoke residue and has an adjoining smoking room next door.My throat feels irritated already. The hallway carpet is filthy and torn, as is the room carpet. In fact, the hallway and stairs up to the second floor, is disgusting. The Owner/Managers obviously feel that travelers will not be back...and they are correct. There is no sign they take any pride in the appearance. The ancient couch is dirty and stained and has a hole in it..My wife refuses to sit on it. I don't want to knock the housekeeping in this rundown place, but there is popcorn and some brown item on the floor around it.

The bathroom is quite clean, however they might want to address the leak around the faucet handles.

We stayed 2 nights ago in a Sleep Inn in Rapid City, So. Dakota which was far different than this place. However, this is my second bad experience in a Choice Hotel.

Pick another.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
PamJenkins, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Ashtabula, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

I am very sorry that your stay has not met your expectations, we do take great pride in our guests wanting to return. We are in the process of renovating currently at this time, and we apologize for any dissatisfaction this has caused. We do have a few smoking rooms on our third floor at the end of hallway, but we do not have any on the second. If this ever occurs in the futre at a hotel, please let the front desk know so they can take care of the issue immediately. We sincerely hope that you stay in the future after renovations, as we do take pride in our hotel and guest satisfaction.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Austinburg
Hampton Inn Ashtabula
Americas Best Value Inn Ashtabula/Austinburg
Motel 6 Geneva
Motel 6 Geneva
#1 of 2 in Geneva

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites Ashtabula? Share your experiences!