“Could be a better experience with some staff training”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Altus
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Altus
Austin, Texas
“Could be a better experience with some staff training”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

We stayed there May 4th and 5th. Initial check in was fine. We have a yorkie and told the clerk this. We were given a print out to sign that had the cost of the stay. No pet fee was included at that time. We came and went through the front lobby several times with our Yorkie as we were not trying to get around anything. On Saturday as my wife was bringing the dog back in, she was stopped by a male employee who had come out of the back office. He interrogated her about the dog and told her they have a pet fee. She informed this gentleman that we clearly stated we had the dog upon check in, as his tone was one that indicated he thought she was sneaking him in. He asked her for the room number and said he was going to check on that.. We ended up paying $50 per night extra upon check out for the dog. 1. Desk clerks should inform people up front of the pet fee and it should reflect in the print out upon check in. 2. Managers/Employees need to figure out a less confrontational way to determining if someone is trying to scam them out of a pet fee. Other than that and the meat packing plant smell the stay was fine. The Hotel is relatively new and kept clean. I received a survey via email in which I stated my concerns. I was asked if I wanted a rep to contact me and I said yes. That was early May, as of today, no follow up from them. Building wise, I would stay there again. Staff wise, probably not.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Altus, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
I am truly sorry for the problems you encountered here during you stay in May, and hope you will accept my belated apologies. We welcome pets, and there is a fee that should have been explained during the reservation or check in conversations. There is no excuse for any sort of rude behavior by anyone here, and I will use your experience in discussions and training to improve our operation. I sent you a private message and look forward to doing whatever we can to make this right for you. I hope you will consider giving us another chance to earn your trust and respect the next time you are in Altus.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

Holiday Inn, in Altus, did keep their promise. My Family & I vacationed this past Easter, and decided to give the Holiday Inn another try. THe rooms were cleaner - housekeeping did a wonderful job! My only problem was the pool was closed throughout our stay. The front desk informed us that the chemicals were not right and a professional was going to address the problem. WIth that being said, yes we were disappointed the pool was closed but, I am glad the staff did not just let my family swim when the levels were not satisfactory. Thanks again! We'll being staying there in the future!

Room Tip: This Holiday Inn is located near the sir force base - there is very little noise from the planes. If...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rbert282
Lockney, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

I would like to comment on your staff during my stay; they were very accommodating to our needs; especially tara, erica t, heather and the maintenance man ruben. from the time we checked in to the time we checked out; we will definately stay at this hotel again. my neices enjoyed the pool alot. thanks to them so much for making that stay wonderful. you've got some great employess! i hope i got all the names right - i did ask them their names as each one of them accommodated us individually as we needed them! GOOD JOB GUYS!!

1 Thank Laurie G
Lubbock, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

We stayed one night at the HIE in Altus and thought it was a cut above the average HIE we have stayed at. It was clean, the desk staff was kind and helpful. We had gone to there as my girlfriend's family is from there and we had gone for a family event. Altus is a small town and doesn't have a lot to do but we happened to visit on the weekend of the Rock and Rumble Car Show so there was enough to do. Unfortunately my girlfriend became ill and we were allowed to extend our checkout time very late into the day while she rested and her folks went on to the family event. I am a Priority club member and was extended Priority Club courtesies even though the room was being paid for by her parents. Altus isn't the greatest place to spend the night but as HIE's go, this one was excellent.

Wichita Falls, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

My Dad and I traveled to Altus, Oklahoma to attend the 47th Annual Mangum Rattlesnake Hunt. We always come into Altus and spend a couple of days. This year, we wanted to stay in a nice two room hotel room with a couple of televisions. We booked the 2 "room" suite in this property. The "suite" wasn't quite what we expected.

OBSERVATIONS:

- The front desk clerk wasn't exceptionally friendly. There was only one front desk person and it took me about 20 minutes to check in ... there were two couples in front of me and it appeared that the hotel had blown a reservation.

- The elevator was horrendous. It jerked and jumped and was slow as all get out in this four floor building.

- The air conditioner in our room had one heck of a time getting the temperature down to 72. Since we were on the top floor, it stayed hot up there.

- There was a half bottle of tequila and mixer left in the refrigerator from the last guest. :)

- The breakfast bar wasn't up to the usual quality that one is used to in a Holiday Inn Express. Cold rolls, no coffee, and dirty tables but no crowd.

- The "suite" was essentially a big room with two queen beds, one television, an old couch and one television that was too small for the room.

GOOD STUFF:

- This is the best hotel in Altus, OK.

- Parking is free

- Cable television had a lot of channels

- It beats driving to Lawton

Having said all that, the hotel was clean. The bathroom and amenities were good.

We'd stay here again if we had to stay in Lawton. It wasn't the best. It wasn't the worst.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators. They're noisy and noise carries real well in the halls.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank samgraham
Bozeman, MT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed here long term in 2012. The only other comparable hotel is the Hampton Inn on the other side of town, and I chose the Holiday Inn based on the reviews of both. It was fine. Nothing special or notable. I would rate the service as average to poor. Most of the front desk staff are somewhere between unfriendly and surly. Some of the maids were very nice, and did an excellent job on the rooms, but others did a very poor job cleaning the rooms. I had to ask to have my linens changed, which I think should be changed after some length of time for long termers.

I ended up annoyed with the place, but I think thats bound to happen when you stay in a hotel. If I were to do it again, I think I would try the Hampton. Nothing was terribly wrong with the Holiday Inn, but I didn't think it was very good either.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Altus, responded to this review, 1 June 2012
Dear capjessop,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service from some our staff which was unacceptable. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Saint Charles, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

The Altus Holiday Inn is a cut above other accommodations in town. If you have to visit Altus, I have a contract at the AFB, treat yourself to the Holiday Inn. It is a recent addition to the Altus skyline, the rooms very large contains a frig and microwave. There are no closets, but a rack to hang clothes. The bath is small, but the sink large enough for shave kit contents. The TV is to small for the room, probably only 32 inches, but that is a guess, not fact.

Reception was pleasant and reservations were as made. We were greeted with a snack bag and a very nice young lady at the front desk.

The room was very clean and made up nicely the following day.

Having stayed at several other Altus hotels, I view this as the best in town.

• Stayed March 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Altus
Hampton Inn & Suites Altus
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Altus
Days Inn Altus
Days Inn Altus
#2 of 7 in Altus
Quartz Mountain Resort Arts & Conference Center

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Altus? Share your experiences!