Lake Murray State Park & Lodge
US$97
Priceline
US$92
US$90
All reviewstucker towerelephant rocklake murraynature centerhiking trailsearly riserscentral airwater sports areasmall grillcabin staybig improvementtoilet sinkthe blue heronclear waterbedding towelsoverall ratingclosed due
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We're from Texas and this is our second time to stay at the Lake Murray Lodge and it was exactly what we expected. You either love what this place has to offer or it's not your cup of tea. My husband & I have stayed in over 100 hotel rooms in the past 20 years, so I know what I like and what we'll tolerate and what is unacceptable. The Lake Murray Lodge is a blast from the past and is completely acceptable as a fantastic vacation get-away! Here is what I suggest: Bring *EVERYTHING* you need, including a mini-fridge if you have one, dark curtains & thumb tacks or spring curtain rods, ALL toiletries, a hair dryer & a room fan (there is NO room safe, ceiling fan, fridge, microwave or toiletries that you dare to use and the curtains are as thin as rice paper, NO KIDDING, bring something to cover your window). The front desk has a microwave and it's fun to scoot down there in your slippers to heat up breakfast and chit chat with the staff, who are all very nice. The restaurant food is NOT good so bring your own food. The only good meal we had was breakfast and even then, they were out of sausage on a Tuesday. The kitchen manager needs to quit serving frozen food and perhaps hire someone who knows how to cook (my husband & I were both sickened from the dinner food the first day and after that, ate our own food that we had brought with us).
The park is absolutely beautiful, spotless and quiet. There are lots of scheduled activities for the kids, several play parks, a swimming pool and a mini-golf course. Dogs are welcome in the cabins and we saw many dogs on this visit. Overall, I would rate this a 4.8, deducting points for the restaurant and the general 'oldness' of the hotel. It actually stinks when you first walk in, but it's just the smell of old and it fades fast. We'll be purchasing two Oklahoma fishing licences and going back many times this year but we'll be bringing everything that we need, and then some!

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are great, but the sun shines in the paper-thin curtains, so either bring something to cover the window, a sleep mask, or prepare to wake up early! There two wings, upper & lower (downstairs) and parking in the lower wing is good if you have a boat or trailer.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kathy W
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We rented a two-person cabin at Lake Murray for three days. Absolutely 5 star except for the fact that the windows in the cabin didn't open. Of course, we had an air conditioner, but it would have been so nice on the lovely days we were there to have slept with the windows open. Other than that our cabin was spotless. The bathroom was remodeled and very nice. I was expecting a kitchenette but was pleasantly surprised with what a would call a full kitchen, very spacious. Staff in the lodge at check-in were efficient and someone came by each morning to restock towels, coffee, shampoo, etc.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank SherryinBA
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We had a groupon for a cabin. When we checked in we asked if there where any cabins with fireplaces available, without checking she said no. We went to our cabin and I could not get the door to unlock. My husband thinking I was just being a silly lady tried and he couldn't get it open either, we were just fixing to drive back up to the lodge to see what the problem was and we finally figured it out. We felt like that they should have told us there was a trick to it. The cabin itself is clean and nice. We stay at a lot of state park cabins, this is the only one we have found that does not supply any kitchen utensils, nothing. We had to run to Dollar General in Ardmore and purchase a skillet and some utensils. Last time we were here the Tower was closed for renovations so this time we were excited to get to see it, well the visitor center is open till 6 but the tower closes at 5:30. So we were bummed that we did not get to go up in it again. We ended up leaving the next morning at 5 AM due to all the snow that was coming in. We will defiantly go back with our skillet and enough time to go into the tower!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hdcrew
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We originally attempted to book a cabin for our first stay at this state park. All were booked so we took a lodge room. Please don't do it. I'm no hotel "snob" but I expect clean and sanitary conditions. I'm writing this review as I sit in my room at the lodge-please choose other accommodations. This facility is dark, dirty, smelly, in dire need to repair and update. No fire sprinkler system and the windows are painted shut. We are prepared to put the two rickety chairs through the windows should we need to escape. Our window shades don't cover the entire window leaving about an 18" gap in the center. I went to the front desk and asked for a flat sheet to hang over the window for privacy. The staff made no apologies and handed me a sheet. We didn't bring our RV on this trip because we wanted to check out the facility first but for future stays...I will only stay in my RV. The park is beautiful and appears to have a lot of family friendly activities. I'll only come back to boat and/or RV camp. Stay far away from the Lodge!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014
6  Thank RhondaWeatherford
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I grew up in the Oklahoma City metro area and spent a great deal of time at Lake Murray as a kid. It has changed much in the last 25 years.....some for the better, some not. I have probably been to this lake over 50 times in my life. I will write this review though completely on my last camping experience in mid March 2014.

My son and I stayed at the campground Buzzards Roost (site 30) one of the water/elec sites. Its a totally paved area, including the pad, with a picnic table, fire ring, and elevated hook. Our site was within site of the lake which was as low as I had ever seen it. No complaints with the campground or surroundings as it really is a great place to visit (def go to Tucker Tower if you haven't been here before). Only real complaint is the $28 campsite fee (a little high in my opinion) and the crowds. Although this camp night wasn't overly crowded, I would NOT recommend going on good weather weekends or holidays. The camp host even told me stories of people fighting over campsites. The lake has additional campgrounds around the lake that I haven't tried before. Maybe this have less crowds....maybe more.

It is at the very least a great place to spend a day as the lake is rock bottom and doesn't usually have that ugly Oklahoma clay red look of many other lakes. Take a drive around the lake road, visit Tuckers Tower, and enjoy a camping adventure if it isn't too crowded.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family