“Delicious New Texas Style BBQ Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of PaulO's Texas Style BBQ - CLOSED

PaulO's Texas Style BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Beaverton, Oregon
“Delicious New Texas Style BBQ Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

Don't be fooled by the strip mall location. This is a full service, sit-down experience. Everything we had was really, really good. The meal felt home cooked in that special, satisfying kind of way that food made just for you feels. Wonderful cornbread, greens, french fries and amazing baby back ribs.

PaulO's sponsored a restaurant night fundraiser for my son's middle school where they gave 20% of the income from the food served to the school's families and staff back to the school.

My husband and I split the Pit Master's Choice for $22 because I wanted to try as many things as I could. It came with pulled pork, brisket, baby back ribs and a large sausage. Our waitress recommended getting the sauces on the side since different meats are good with different sauces. The Mustard Based BBQ was really nice on the sausage and we had the Medium BBQ with the rest, but to be honest nothing even needed sauce. My husband's favorite meat was the Ribs. I think I concur because they had great grill charring favor and crispy bits. I think the Brisket was my second favorite. Everything was so tender. We ended up with a little bit of food left over even after splitting this particular dinner.

My son demolished his large full rack serving of Smoked & Grilled Baby Back Pork Ribs with fries and some really good Mac & Cheese that had a little bit of a kick to it. I don't typically even like Mac & Cheese, but I really liked PaulO's. It must be a special family recipe.

All the dinners come with corn bread and two sides. I brought home a take-out menu. The sides choices are french fries, baked beans & pork, candied yams (which I need to try next time), mixed greens (hot & seasoned really well), macaroni and cheese, coleslaw, house salad, house potato salad, & Texas caviar (I should have asked what that is).

We had to try dessert too. I'm really curious about the Banana Pudding. I will have to try that next time. I got seduced by the homemade Pecan Pie for $4. Yum! Our son managed to squeeze down half of a Turtle which is a homemade brownie with ice cream and chocolate and homemade caramel sauce with whipped cream and a cherry. Both desserts were large and very sharable and came with a cup of coffee :) My son's only complaint was that the plate wasn't large enough for his dessert. That is a pretty good problem to have.

The Dinner Plate prices (w/ corn bread and two sides) range from $11.00 for Smoked Chicken Legs Plate, $12.50 for Smoked Pulled Pork Plate, $17.50 for Grilled Wild Salmon Plate (next on my list to try) up to $25.00 for a 6 bone large rack of Grilled Beef Ribs. There are also a variety of sandwiches which come with one side of your choice for around $8.50. There is Smoked Pulled Pork, Meatloaf, Brisket, Sausage, & even a smoked and grilled Tofu Sandwich. They have salads as well and you can add meat, salmon or tofu.

The service was friendly and the restaurant was clean. They are still a new restaurant so they don't have their logo on everything yet, but they are starting out with amazing food and friendly people.

The 10% off Coupon they gave us after dinner says they are open Tuesday - Sunday 11am-9pm. Closed Mondays.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Trish246

Aloha, Oregon
“Good food, environment, service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

Since Paulos BBQ moved into the strip mall near us, we have enjoyed eating there numerous times. The meat is smoked right there, and the barbecue sauces are really good by my reckoning. I really recommend the potato salad as a side dish. When I first tried it I asked about the recipe, and in a couple weeks the owner emailed me a nice note with a recipe. The servers are really friendly and the ambiance is good with booths, lighting and many windows. One thing I appreciate is that it wasn't too noisy. The one thing I didn't care too much for was the cole slaw, but they may have improved it since I first tried it. I have had the baby back ribs and the pork pulled sandwich.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank mugshotmike
Forest Grove, Or
“Great Texas Style BBQ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

I have found 2 good BBQ places in the Portland, Or area and this one is the best. Meats are so good it would be a shame to put sauce on them so order sauce on the side. Sandwiches are on a grilled bun and mine was heaped with Brisket. No Sauce needed. Wife had 1/2 pork ribs and I got half of them. Talk about melt in your mouth. Rib Rub did the job alone. Pulled pork and sausage are offered along with non normal items such as smoked meatloaf, grilled and smoked tofu or grilled and smoked wild salmon. Beef ribs are offered as well as smoked chicken legs and grilled and smoked chicken breasts. Fries were above average as was coleslaw and potato salad. Wife loved cornbread. As a Native Texan, this is the closest taste of home I have found anywhere in the Northwest.
Used to be a Mexican restaurant. The new owners ordered two smokers from an outfit in Houston, Tx and installed them in the kitchen to prevent anoying neighbors. Amazing equipment, ask to see them.

• Visited November 2012