“Great Place to Stay”

Ranked #2 of 4 Arch Cape B&B and Inns
Bend, Oregon
“Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My husband John and I stayed at the Arch Cape Inn the week-end of June 20th. The weather was great we stayed in the Lighthouse Room that has private entrance through the beautiful gardens. The room was done in blue and white so cheery and we slept like babies. The staff was wonderful and the food was really good. Happy Hour was great we met several different people that we're visiting from all over. Great Conversation was had by all.

We will Visit the Arch Cape Inn again hopefully soon! ELF

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Salmon creek, wa
Reviewed 9 July 2014

So you drive into the driveway of this place, looks pretty on the outside, but the stay left a lot to be desired. We got the owners suite for me and my husbands honeymoon. 1,500 for four nights. Well, not worth the money. Our bathroom looked right out on the public patio. We barely could see the ocean, just a sliver. Website advertises privacy and beautiful ocean views. The trail to the ocean led across the main highway. The bed was supposed to be a really nice one. It sagged in the middle. The DVD player didn't work well. The breakfast wasn't good, and was odd. Asparagus for breakfast? Salad? Not my taste. Creepy pictures on the wall. The back patio was locked. Also, our room was right next to the main office and kitchen, so we could here daily conversations by the staff, phone calls, and pots banging in the kitchen early in the morning. We also had asked no breakfast be served the following morning after our first night (it being the morning after the wedding), I heard them knocking on the door that morning. Wish we could get some of our money back. When we gave back the keys they didn't even ask how our stay was.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Maddiecunningham
Seamar, Manager at Arch Cape Inn & Retreat, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Since we specialize in honeymoons, weddings and other romantic getaways, our entire staff is so sorry to learn that your stay with us resulted in a disappointment. We take this responsibilty very serioulsy. We constantly strive to deliver a superior guest service and are always ready to respond immediatly to guests' needs and preferences when anything is brought to our attention. While we understood that you preferred to sleep in, we always knock later in the day in order to service and tidy the rooms. We do also apoloigze for a few of our seasonal staff that are in training and learning to work in a more quiet environment.
Comfort, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We loved our room, the Gauguin, and the view of the ocean was stunning. Suzanna greeted us with wine and appetizers and answered all kind of questions we had about the area. The breakfasts were creative and tasty. The service was first rate. The beach area is a few minutes' walk but worth it, since the beach was beautiful and uncrowded. Cannon Beach with many restaurants is a short drive away. If you are looking for an inn with a European feel to it, this is your place!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Melinda B
United States
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We just spent several nights at Arch Cape Inn & Retreat. Let me start by saying that Cyndi, the innkeeper, and her staff are extremely gracious and welcoming. We were greeted warmly each morning & breakfast was delicious. They are very willing to provide suggestions for touring the coast area. Had our stay been only about the staff and breakfast it would have been great, however that was not the case. The website is extremely deceiving! Our room was not as it appeared on the site and it needs serious updating. We had virtually no water pressure from the sink, which also was cracked. I mentioned that to one of the staff members at breakfast, however it was no better on our second evening. Water pressure in the shower was fine, although it needs to be re-caulked. Carpet in our room was old and had stains on it & towels are thin. No robes are provided for guests and the closet contained very few hangers. Rooms are NOT AIR CONDITIONED. Shame on me for assuming they would be. We had to sleep with the window open and there is noise from the highway that is close to the inn. No A/C also provides a problem when it is raining. The beds are fine, not fabulous. Linens are very basic. When I booked this property I was using last year's copy of the Select Registry Inns and the Arch Cape Inn & Retreat was one of their designated properties. I wish I would have checked Select Registry's website before booking, as they are no longer a member. Easy to see why, because this inn does not reflect the quality that we've experienced at their other properties. The owners have a true gem in Cyndi. However, if they intend to lure repeat guests, they should consider completing some major updates. In no way did we receive our money's worth and I would not recommend Arch Cape Inn & Retreat. I wish I could have given 2 1/2 stars. After spending 10 days in the beautiful state of Oregon, this is the only property that we did not enjoy and would not stay at again. Hopefully its owners will improve the inn.

Room Tip: Look for another place to stay when in the Cannon Beach area.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank HHLVR
Seamar, General Manager at Arch Cape Inn & Retreat, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. This gives us an opportunity to describe our decision to drop our Select Registry membership last year, which we have held in good standing for many years. SR is an owner-owned cooperative, requiring a very large annual dues. We felt that SR was not keeping up with all the changes in technology and therefore did not represent the best use of our advertising dollars. Noting that you needed to hand carry a hardbound book, requiring a stamp in order to register a stay with us, illustrates one aspect of our decision to drop our membership.

Therefore, we need to correct the inferences in your post.

While our staff is superior, always focused on guest relations, our food and cleanliness, we are disappointed to hear that the inn was not a good match for your travel plans.

We are happy that you had the opportunity to spend time in one of the most remarkable, pristine areas of the Oregon coast.

Since we are so remote, our water supply is similar to an Artesian well, of superior quality and limited quantity. We are proud of our operational practices that allow everyone to enjoy the area, while at the same time protecting it with a small, clean footprint, right down to how many gallons of water we use in the dishwasher, along with the products that we use, all of which empty right into our beautiful ocean.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 16 June 2014

What a great find! Everything about our experience at the Inn was fantastic. Out room was spacious and beautiful. The common room living area felt like being in our own home. Breakfast each morning was a culinary work of edible art. Cindy, Jose and Sarah did an amazing job at making our stay memorable. I just read Darling Dearest's review and couldn't disagree more. I got a tour of the whole Inn from Cindy and thought every room was beautiful and the Tuscan Spa room was totally cool! Yes there isn't a great view, but the room amenities with the private sauna and giant rain shower more than makes up or it. Breakfast and happy hour was plentiful and delicious. We would not hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jbristol4
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I really wanted to write a good review on the place...but I can't!
The staff was friendly, but that is about all I can say.
Upon arrival, the dead plants, broken pot and dirty window at the entrance were a tell-tell sign already.
We originally booked the Lighthouse room. When we checked in we learned that it was in reality an "overflow" room, next door to the manager's office. Stuffy and humid to say the least. But since it was priced at "only" $200.00 ....
I mentioned to the manager that had I known the room was not part of the main body of the building I would not have booked it. Way too small. Then I learned that due to a cancellation a bigger room was available for $330.00. The Tuscan Spa.
For that price, I surely did not expect to find a remote control to the TV set, taped together with clear tape. No view watsoever. Minimal decoration. Yes, there is a walk in shower and a sauna, but the label "Tuscan Spa" on the door is a typed piece of paper!
It seems that the attention to detail is hit and miss to say the least. They offer VHS movies, but no VHS to play it with in the room!!!! I suppose DVDs are out of the question.
The breakfast: I think that non-foodies could appreciate it more. The poached eggs were way overdone, and the pot de creme had the consistency of a budino (pudding), the scones underdone in the center. For $350 dollars and change, I'll take my business elsewhere. For half that price I could stay at the Haceta lighthouse with a magnificent 7 course breakfas, views from every room and uniquely decorated bedrooms, and history behind it all.

Room Tip: DO NOT book the lighthouse room unless you like very small spaces.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank darlingdearest
Seattle
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Spent two nights at this Inn and enjoyed it very much. The room was clean and comfortable with a pleasant little private deck outside. Breakfast is not served until 9 am, so if you are an early bird, it can be a long wait. The food was just wonderful - I have rarely had such a delicious breakfast in a b&b. It was well worth the wait.
We also enjoyed the afternoon cocktail hour where we could sit and enjoy a glass of wine while chatting with the other guests.
Our hostess was cheerful, friendly, and willing to offer recommendations on restaurants in the neighborhood.
The only downside is that the Inn is across the road from the beach, and there is some traffic noise from the road, particularly early in the day as people are heading off to work. Also, there is only a sliver of a view of the ocean from the rooms, even upstairs.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach
Hallmark Resort Cannon Beach
#8 of 14 in Cannon Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,046 reviews

Been to Arch Cape Inn & Retreat? Share your experiences!