“Very professional theatre, have seen some great plays”

Oregon Shakespeare Festival
More attraction details
Owner description: You don't need to head to England to experience the genius of a Shakespearean play. Much closer to home is the Oregon Shakespeare Festival located in Ashland, Oregon. Every year at the end of October you can enjoy on average over ten of Shakespeare's plays performed in both classic and newly imagined style. Separate tickets are needed for each show which is held at one of the event campus's two indoor or one outdoor spaces.
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Most recently saw Pirates of Penzance for my youngest daughter's birthday. It was a very expensive birthday present, but we all enjoyed it thoroughly. Very professional productions, no matter what we've seen. Some have been better than others, of course.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,401)
All reviews
"world class"
in 43 reviews

Reviewed 26 March 2012

SPOILER ALERT for White Snake:

My mother loved theater and always wanted to attend the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. She never made it to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival but this March (2012), about 7 years after her passing, we attended for the first time. Our first play at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival was White Snake.

When we purchased tickets right before the show at the box office they asked for our name and my mother's name popped up on their screen, we told them we were her family and we got our tickets.

White snake is a beautiful play that was just excellent, I really enjoyed the entire show.

But the show was too good. The ending pulled up feelings within me that I didn't expect to feel again and I can not put them into words. It really felt like my mother was speaking to us through the ending of this play. Which I feel is even more remarkable due to the fact that they didn't even have a script for this show they just let it come together naturally. I feel that is why this play had such a strong emotional, uncanny, message for our family.

The Oregon Shakespeare Festival is a very special place and I will never ever forget White Snake.

Reviewed 24 March 2012

We attended the production of "Romeo and Juliet" in the Angus Bowmer theater in March. What a horrible disappointment. We dubbed it "Shakespeare Meets Bonanza for 13 Year Old Boys". They changed the location from Verona, Italy to California (why???). The set was very minimal and made no sense - was not visually appealing at all. The first 2/3rds of the first half (roughly corresponding to the first act in the play) was one bawdy gesture after another - just the type of thing that appeals to adolescent boys. The costumes were very disappointing. The dialogue was shouted for 1 3/4 hrs. I got a terrific headache from all the noise. This pathetic effort was sponsored in part by the National Endowment for the Arts - your tax dollars at work. We drove over 800 miles round trip to take in the play - we should have stayed home and rented the Zeffirelli DVD of the play - it is much better.

8  Thank Mel H
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I've been to theater in London, New York and other areas. Nothing comes close to the quality of productions I have enjoyed at OSF. Worth the trip and see as many plays as possible.

1  Thank Elizabeth W