“Into the Woods---great!”

Oregon Shakespeare Festival
More attraction details
Owner description: You don't need to head to England to experience the genius of a Shakespearean play. Much closer to home is the Oregon Shakespeare Festival located in Ashland, Oregon. Every year at the end of October you can enjoy on average over ten of Shakespeare's plays performed in both classic and newly imagined style. Separate tickets are needed for each show which is held at one of the event campus's two indoor or one outdoor spaces.
California
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Into the Woods---great!”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Beautiful voices, good ensemble cast---a very enjoyable evening. Loved the princes. If I didn't live 90 minutes away I'd be back to see this show again. The Oregon Shakespeare festival is doing a great job.

San Francisco
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Our Love Affair with OSF Continues”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Our 17th year of theater at the Oregon Shakespeare just completed with the locally adapted "The Cocoanuts". Overall, we appreciate that the variety, depth, and quality of the company's offerings is set at a wonderfully high level!

We now buy tickets to all 11 of the season's performances. (The season runs from the end of February through the first week of November. 9 shows rotate through 3 theaters during summer months). We are afraid of not buying a ticket for something we've never heard of or which sounds odd... only to find out that the show we skipped is the brilliant favorite of the year that’s sold out. We missed a new play, “Handler”, to our caution, and we don’t want to miss anything else!

That's the wonder of Ashland. Although it's "Oregon SHAKESPEARE" Festival, only 3 or 4 plays of the year's 11 are written by Shakespeare. The others are classics, or more recently, new and/or new commissioned premiere's. OSF is taking risks, and for the most part, those risks are paying off with memorable performances.

The hit of 2014 is "The Great Society" by Robert Schenkkan. It covers the final 4 years of the term of President Lyndon Johnson. It's just over three hours long, but no one we know felt a moment of drag or need to look at their watch. The Great Society is basically LBJ Part II, the follow-on to LBJ-Part I, better known as the Tony Award "All the Way" which premiered in Ashland in 2012. What a well crafted, excellently executed piece of theater!

In addition to premiering "The Great Society", OSF is offering the first performances of "A Wrinkle in Time", Family Album", and the new adaptation of "The Cocoanuts". That's a lot of risk (and mostly reward) for one theater company.

Especially fun for the audience is the treat of seeing true repertory company where the actor playing Hamlet in the matinee may be a singing waiter in the evening comedy. That's head-turning wonderful.

We live in San Francisco, but see most of our plays in Ashland. It’s simply an issue of the quality of the productions.

1 Thank Galen W
“Mesmerizing”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Every year my family goes down to Medford, Oregon and we always visit Ashland. We also have started seeing at least one play a year when we go. This year we saw Into the Woods, The Tempest, Richard III, and A Wrinkle in Time. I loved all the productions and the acting was phenomenal. I love Shakespeare, and I have always enjoyed their productions. Their productions are very entertaining. Our family decided to become members too, and it is worth it. You get discounts in the Tudor Guild shop, you can get discounts on tickets if you buy them on the day of the performance, and much more. One thing that I like about OSF being a repertory theater is that it is really fun to discover an actor that you really like and to see them in multiple performances. The theaters are very nice too. They are clean, pretty, and make the whole experience more enjoyable. The Green Show is always entertaining and fun to watch before you see your show. This year I'd recommend seeing Richard III if you are looking for Shakespeare. It is one of the best Shakespeare performances I have ever seen. I can not wait to come back next year because every year I am amazed and inspired by everyone and everything at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival.

Gresham, Oregon
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Still as wonderful as ever”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

The plays are still great! We saw Into the Woods in the Elizabethan Theater, which was very cool. My son, who does not usually enjoy musicals, really liked it. My one complaint would be the price of the tickets. I know many people like to take advantage of the same day tickets, but I am a planner. I prefer to buy in advance. I would like to see many of the plays every year, but it is really cost prohibitive for my little family.

Lakewood
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Special”
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Each year our family travels to Southern Oregon for a gathering in Medford, Oregon. We always see at least one play in Ashland. My son so enjoys the actors and plays at OSF that this year we came early and saw 4 plays. We joined as members and took advantage of buying tickets to Richard III the day of the play. We paid $45 for seats that were regularly $107. So worth the membership as there were 6 of us going that night. Going to do that again next year! Resteraunts are great and cater to theater crowds!