“Zen B & B in Ashland”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ashland
Morical House Garden Inn
Ranked #15 of 30 Ashland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My husband and I had a lovely experience at this wonderful garden house which is beautifully run by Alicia, the owner. Our auto air conditioning had died 125 miles north of Ashland, so we were a little out of sorts when we arrived, but it was such a boost to be in the well-appointed spaces of Morical House Garden Inn. We had a big load of things from our daughter's wedding in WA including wedding gown, gifts, and cases of left over wine that we wanted to unload while the car was being serviced. Alicia showed us a convenient place on the main floor for the wine so we did not have to carry it upstairs and was generally helpful about everything including telling me about how she grows her incredible orchids. We stayed three nights in the top room of the main house with a Q bed and plenty of space. It even had a small sitting area with two upholstered chairs. The breakfasts were artfully presented and exceptionally tasty. My only reservation was that in our room the shower was in an antique tub with an overly long shower curtain. It was a little tricky getting in and out. Next time I would love to try a room in the cottages. The grounds are quite attractive: I love the huge rocks in the back of the property, the ones that "grow up" through the deck there. Overall this was a very enjoyable experience, and we will return! I agree with other reviewers that this would be an excellent place to meet up with friends for a stay in Ashland.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jan R

Reviewed 30 June 2013

We had a wonderful experience at Morical House; lovely accommodations and ambiance. We enjoyed reading before the fire in the living room, and the grounds and back deck were beautiful, peaceful and inviting with wonderful views. The Asian influence decor is warm, interesting and creative, and very tastefully done!

Breakfast the first morning was outstanding! I thought I had died and gone to heaven: The first course was Yogurt with strawberries and toasted almonds. Next came Coconut bread pudding surrounded by fresh raspberries and blackberries accompanied with real maple syrup and blackberry syrup, and andouille sausage. By this time we were 'in the zone' and totally satiated, to say the least. But wait, there's more. Breakfast dessert? Caramel ice cream sugar cone sandwich! Wow! All was incredibly delicious! The perfect food and delightful service elegantly provided by our host Alicia and her able assistant Kyra!!

I would respectfully suggest a couple of tweaks: we would have loved to have a night stand on both sides of the bed, and reading lamps, or lamps that had multiple settings, as reading in bed was not really possible. The lamps were quite pretty, but with dim lighting. A shower head with greater water pressure would also be a 'nice to have'.

But over all, a wonderful place with great food and outstanding hosting - Thank you so much Alicia! We look forward to visiting again!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Our family has frequented the Morical House for the past 20 years. Each extended weekend is luxuriously refreshing. We meet friends here in Ashland, take in theatrical productions, enjoy great food, sip wine and share life's stories.

This evening we enjoyed the sun receding from the hills across the valley as we chatted leisurely on the wooden deck near the back of the secluded yard. At times the afternoons find us in the hammock or lounge chairs on the lawn surrounded by floral blooms.

Breakfast each morning is delicious and beautiful. Alicia remembers and accommodates the special dietary needs of each of us.

When we think of coming to Ashland, we wouldn't think of any other lodging than this one. Very comfortable here and a pleasant walk from the theaters.

Room Tip: We have enjoyed both the rooms in the main house and the larger rooms in the more recently added bui...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 October 2012

My California cousin met me half-way for a girls’ theater mini-vacation in Ashland. The Morical House fit our needs beautifully in every way.

RESERVATIONS: Easy with the lovely, gracious and efficient proprietor, Alicia. She responded to our e-mail inquiries promptly. As our travel date approached, she sent each of us the latest news of local happenings. Alicia was so on the ball, she remembered to address us jointly in her messages. We were impressed: this gal is organized.

LOCATION: The one-mile distance to downtown had been our biggest concern, but it turned out to be no problem. The Inn is a 15-20 minute walk from the theater, but it’s an easy stroll on relatively flat ground. The road is busy and somewhat noisy, but that shouldn’t be an issue unless you have pets or small children in tow--which you probably don’t in this case!

My cousin and I found the walks useful for chatting, analyzing plays, and stretching our legs after long car-rides and theater-sitting. We felt perfectly safe at night on the well-lit road. Given the traffic downtown, we probably returned to the Morical by foot faster than if we’d had to retrieve a car and drive back
When you first arrive at the Morical, you may miss the drive-way entrance; both of us did. The tall hedges and small signage make it a challenge to spot. But those very features grant quiet and privacy to the grounds
ROOMS: My cousin and I each reserved rooms in the main house, but Alicia offered us both complimentary upgrades to the cottages upon arrival. (Shoulder season meant extra availability.) The cottage rooms were spacious and well-appointed. The romance of the plush king-sized bed, the soaking tub and the fireplace triggered a phone call to my husband. “You really should be here,” I told him.

I didn’t get to see any of the regular rooms, but the public areas of the main house had a cool and comfy Zen-like décor. This could be a great shared gathering space for a group travelling together, and you’d have it to yourselves since Alicia lives off-site
BREAKFAST: We appreciated that the dining room contained separate tables. I know that many people enjoy meeting and sharing breakfast with other B & B guests, but I often find that exhausting. My cousin and I did strike up a conversation with other guests one morning, but it was because we all wanted to—not because we felt forced to.

Alicia will ask you your choice of breakfast time--8, 8:30, 9 or 9:30 AM. Rarely do you see breakfast served with such style. We had one morning of a sweet breakfast and two of savory. Though I generally prefer a sweeter breakfast (the polenta-based breakfast entree was a first for me) I was awed by Alicia’s innovated meal presentation.

OVERALL: While not cheap, the Morical House Inn is a relatively good deal for Ashland, which I imagine is due to its less-than-central location. If you don’t let that walk scare you away—and you shouldn’t—you are in for a treat. I can’t wait to get my husband back for the Morical for some Zen romance. He’s game.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ArtistJames
Reviewed 11 October 2012

What a gem. Close to everything. Elegant grounds and the food. Oh, the 3 course breakfast the owner Alicia cooks. The breakfast alone is worth the drive to Ashland. Not your stuffy B&B but a comfortable, contemporary retreat.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JerryWhiting
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stayed in many b & bs on our trip to Oregon and California and this was one of our favorites. Our room was in the cottage which had an incredibly comfortable bed, well appointed bathroom, cathedral ceilings and a window seat reading nook. The garden is a lovely place to sit and relax. Our host was so friendly and helpful and made us feel welcome and made some great dining suggestions. Breakfast was a gourmet delight - a nice change up from the standard breakfasts we had elsewhere. The inn is a bit of a walk to town, but it was a very quick drive and parking to go to the Shakespeare festival was plentiful and easy. We wished we had another night here - our stay was fantastic - highly recommend this sophisticated b & b

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Avivina
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I've stayed at The Morical House for several years now and would never consider staying anywhere else. I always stay in the Coach House and have been in all three rooms in that building.

The location is a little away from downtown, but I like that. The 1 mile walk to and from downtown feels great to me after a day of sitting in the theater (or it's a very easy drive and parking in downtown is easy). The decor in the main building is modern, and in the coach house is more timber frame with high ceilings and skylights, but everything is classy. This is not the type of B&B where you're worried that you're going to overdose on chintz.

The breakfasts are, without doubt, the most delicious gourmet breakfasts that I've ever encountered. By that, I do not mean that's it's a carb and cholesterol overload. That's not my idea of a great breakfast. No, as an example, a breakfast might be some melon to start, then crepes, and then a small scoop of homemade blueberry sorbet to finish. Furthermore, the house is willing to customize breakfasts to an extent I've never encountered anywhere else. I'm diabetic and they were happy to make things separate for me using either Splenda or another sweetner and/or to provide me with sugar-free syrup. I have stayed there with a friend who is on a high protein/low carb workout diet and they came up with entirely separate, but wonderful menus for him every morning. That level of service should give you an idea how terrific the host and the level of service are.

There's also a nice garden and deck, and I've spent more than one relaxing afternoon in their hammock.

I've stayed there several times and never had a problem with bugs or with anything else so I have no idea where the couple of negative reviews on this site are coming from. Quite the opposite, I would never stay anywhere else in Ashland.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo