“Bumpy start, but they made it right!”

Callahan's Mountain Lodge
Ranked #13 of 31 Ashland B&B and Inns
Salem OR
“Bumpy start, but they made it right!”
Reviewed 18 August 2009

I was the leader of the car club that visited Callahan's the weekend of August 7-9th, which triggered the review mixed review dated August 17. It is true that the lodge lowered their rates a couple of weeks before we arrived (We had booked the place 8 months ago). Upon arriving, we were advised of the change in rates and offered the difference in either lounge or gift shop purchases. In that we had already pre-ordered and paid for all our liquor and meals, I expressed doubt that we could use the voucher in the lounge and we were not interested in the gift shop. Not having the authority on his own to adjust the rates, the desk clerk contacted the owner and it was agreed that the rates would be adjusted downward to reflect the new lower prices. The clerk was gratious, and the owner was responsive to our concern.

The comments about the delay in checking needs to be taken in context. We had 19 couples all arrive at the VERY same time. Callahan's is a family run business, with only 19 rooms and they only have one computer at the front desk. Because they needed to make a change in the billing information, it naturally took more time to process each check-in. To the clerk's credit, he keep a smile on his face, was very cheerful, and asked for another clerk to assist him in getting registration forms signed and keys distributed. GIven the situation and the number of guests, I thought they did their best. I purposely chose Callahan's because of its small size and home-like feel. If I had wanted a Marriott with 6 receptionists, we would have gone there.

Regarding the spyder in the juice glass, this was a BUFFET. You went to the buffet table and poured your own juice and brought it back to your table. While I do not doubt the possiblility of a spyder getting into the glass, one should have looked first. This lodge is in the middle of the mountains. There are bugs in the forest and they will occassionally come inside just like they do in one's own home. All the guest needed to do was go back and get a new glass of juice, for heaven's sake. Callahan's was very clean and the fact that a spyder wondered inside is in no way a bad reflection on Callahan's.

I, and the majority of guests that accompanied the tour, were very pleased with our stay at Callahan's. The food was good, and I felt the staff was very polite and well trained. I have brought several car clubs up to Callahan's and always had a great experience, as we did this time. I will do so again. I would suggest readers ignore the Aug 17 review. I think he was having a bad day.

• Stayed August 2009
1 Thank 87Alfa
SiskiyouLodge, Manager at Callahan's Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 31 August 2016
Our response to this review is many years to late - but thank you for the time spent on your review and we have made this place even better, along with the check in time :)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
oregon
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Nice hotel with decent food. Excellent rooms and mattresses. Most staff were excellent. Only one (well maybe two) glitches qzspoiled our stay. With a group of 18 other couples we had reserved the rooms months in advance and paid a deposit of ½ the then advertised rate. When we checked in we were told that we would be charged the rate in effect at the time of the reservation ($40 more), but that they would give us a credit in the gift shop and bar for the difference. Since we were eating as a group and had already paid for that, it was impossible to imagine spending that money in the gift shop. We asked to talk with the manager. After 20 minutes we were told that management had consented to our request, but all the front desk staff (save 1) fled from the desk. It took another 30 minutes or more to process our registration.

The next morning my wife found a large spider in her glass of juice. Another member at the table called it to the staff’s attention, but this gentlemen grabbed the glass with a scowl and never returned; the juice was never replaced and he never returned. All this was explained to the owner/manager in a email. Frankly we were looking for some acknowledge of staff inexperience or similar. Instead we got the following as the singular response: “We acknowledge your compliments and criticism. With all due respect,”

Not exactly Ritz Carlton customer relations. A little like a waiter who is more important than his customer. Frankly almost any polite response would have satisfied us, but they worked hard to provide maximum arrogance in as few words as possible.

• Stayed August 2009
2 Thank ortsofsorts
Southern Oregon
Reviewed 6 August 2009

My husband and I have gone to Callahan's both before and after the fire for our anniversary. Pre-fire, the rooms were about $85 a night and now they are $225. Admittedly this includes a $25 coupon to be used towards a breakfast for two.

When we made the reservations there was no mention of a wedding being hosted at the lodge the same night. We arrived and were told that despite this, things should quiet down by 10pm. "No big deal" we thought, but they did advise us to keep our parking space as they were expecting 200 guests for the event.

We arrived in our room to find it well appointed with a mini-bar, coffee maker and microwave, as well as a spa tub for two, 42" flat screen (only a few satellite channels available and not in HD), swivel chairs that could face the TV or the fireplace that was ready to light and enjoy. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room had an adequate sized bath with a shower. There was a balcony, but it was shared with the room next door and when I went out I noticed cigarette butts all over the place. The room was clean and comfortable though, and overlooked the lawn that was set-up with tables, chairs, etc... for a wedding.

We went to dinner and were seated next to a door that would later allow the wedding party to go in and out. This was fun at first, but then when we couldn't chat or enjoy our meal without interuption, it became annoying. The DJ for the reception had setup on the patio off the dining room... right below our room.

The reception was loud and 'YMCA' was playing loud and clear in our room at 11pm. I was happy for the newlyweds, but really upset that no one from the lodge had mentioned there would be this event going on when we called to make the reservation.

I filled out a comment card and hope to chat with someone about it at check-out. The woman who met me at the desk was busy on the computer and asked 'Did you take anything from the honor bar?' as she took my key, but didn't make eye contact nor did she ask how was my stay.

Last week someone from Callahan's called and spoke with my husband. Apologetic, Callahan's sent us a $100 voucher to be used by December of this year. They had been told we go there once a year, in July, for our anniversary but probably would look elsewhere next year due to this past visit.

It is a beautiful place with good food, but the freeway noise is significant and the nightly rate is a bit high. They're open only a few nights a week in the summer, and perhaps the rates go up to compensate for the lack of traffic at the inn. The free wi-fi worked well and it is comfortable, but if you're seeking a quiet getaway, DO ask if there's anything going on there that might thwart that effort.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tartallini
Thank you for your review and thoughts on your time with us. Even though your experience was many years ago - as this review is many years late, contact the lodge and we will take care of you for a night on the house.
medford, or
Reviewed 5 January 2009

I absolutely love this place! It still feels like the old Callahan's, before the fire, but 10 times better. The food is excellent, the atmosphere is casual yet elegant, and the lodging rooms are better than ever (I love the hot tubs in the rooms).
We've been there for several occasions, with both our family (with 2 small kids) and a date night with just adults. I was nervous about taking my kids there because my impression was that with the remodel it would be "too fancy", but it just feels like home and anybody will feel comfortable no matter what the occasion is.
Highly recommended and worth the drive.

2 Thank redheadqt314
And we have gotten even better over the years since your review! Thank you.