“Overall we had the worst experience - we were so disappointed!”

Callahan's Mountain Lodge
Ranked #14 of 31 Ashland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 February 2011

We made reservations 4 months in advance and had great expectations of a Valentine's Day stay at Callahan's with a sweetheart package.
After driving over 100 miles, we sat down at the bar only to be ignored for 15 minutes by the grouchiest old bartender ever!!! The bar wasn't all that busy and he was throwing empty bottles in a box so loudly that it startled us every time.
When we finally were seated at our table and our dinner arrived, all four of us sent it back because it was cold! - then it came back nuked and very over cooked, we sent it back and all of us went to bed hungry!
The room was decent but we were put in the basement rooms #11 & 12 - it was so noisy we hardly slept - We finally called the front desk to complain about the noise and there was no apology just an explanation that the kitchen and dining room were cleaning up and they should be done in about an hour. We woke up exhausted and hungry. Breakfast was cold and it took 10 minutes to get a cup of coffee!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank mez02
SiskiyouLodge, Manager at Callahan's Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2016

I am personally sorry about your experience and our late review. If you ever read this response, call the lodge and I will pay for your next visit as we are sorry - and have made many positive changes since your stay and review.

Quinn

Reviewed 30 August 2010

We attended my cousin's wedding and festivities at Callahans' Siskiyou Lodge in Ashalnd. Their service was amazing. The food in their restaurant, including the wedding buffet, was also excellent. Our room was comfortable and clean. The bed was also very comfortable. I would not recommend staying in rooms 10-15 because they are located across from the Game Room. That room was filled with many unsupervised LOUD children until very late at night. I called the desk and was told that they would "take care of it". That did not ocur.I would recommend Callahans but not those rooms.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
SiskiyouLodge, Manager at Callahan's Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2016

Children tend to flock to the game room - as there is many games. However, the noise should have been kept to a lower level and I am sorry about the noise and response from the front desk. Corrections have been made - and thank you for your review.

Reviewed 8 July 2010

I had heard good things about Callahan's from friends who had stayed there in the past year. With our anniversary coming up, I thought that a night at Callahan's would be a great idea. Turns out to be the best anniversary we've ever had. A fantastic room, complete with hot tub, the best bed we've ever slept on in a hotel, bar none, and superb food in the restaurant.

This place is not the cheapest place to stay in the Ashland area. But I didn't want an inexpensive place - I wanted a great experience, and they delivered.

We'll always remember the anniversary we spent at Callahan's. Thanks for being so great!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Your welcome for being so great - because our guests are great as well! Until next time :)

Reviewed 22 June 2010

My wife and I recently stayed here for one night. The rooms were very large and comfortable. Everything was clean and the staff were there when we needed them. I would recommend this to anyone. Very close to Ashland (10 minutes)

• Stayed: June 2010

And many thanks!

Reviewed 15 March 2010

This lodge is an absolute oasis! My husband and I have stayed here for our honeymoon, then again for our anniversary, and we're always overwhelmed by the service, quality and ambiance of our stay.
Every detail is covered, the lodge is new and beautiful, our room had a large wonderful spa jetted tub, 2 very plush robes, a nice balcony overlooking the well-manicured grounds, a flat screen tv you can tilt to fit your needs, and a beautiful fireplace with the wood, in your room.
The bed was so comfortable, and everyone was so friendly and helpful.
the restaurant is excellent, especially the prime rib, the tuscan chicken is good too. Eat outside on the beautiful outdoor seating when the weather is nice, and watch the majestic surroundings, or the occasional wedding!
This place is a gem and a great place to stay if you're skiing at Mt. Ashland, or going to a shakespeare play or the Ashland film festival, we never wanted to leave!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple

Oasis - is an experience provided from us to our guests. Our guest's experience and memories throughout the year is what makes life worth living - Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 14 September 2009

My husband and I recently returned from our vacation where we traveled through northern California and southern Oregon. We made very few plans, just a loose idea of what we wanted to do and see. Some nights this did pose difficulties, as we were caught looking for hotel rooms and food in remote areas.

We stumbled upon Callahan's just by the sign on the side of the highway. Wow, it was so lucky that we did! This was the nicest (and least expensive) place we stayed our entire trip! We arrived around dinnertime on a weekday. We had spent the day white water rafting on the Rogue River and we were starving. Unfortunately, the restaurant was closed this evening. We told the owner, Ron, that we could not stay somewhere that did not offer dinner, as we had not brought anything with us. He offered to go back to the kitchen and prepare us a couple of steaks. That was just the type of service we received during our stay. (If I could give 6 stars for service, I would!) The manager, Sean was on his way out the door when we arrived, but he hung around talking to us, sharing stories about the hotel and its history. He also recommended one of the best bottles of wine I have ever tried! We sat and talked with Ron and Donna (the owners) after dinner, and enjoyed a pleasant evening.

Afterwards, we went up to our room which was absolutely beautiful! We sat on our balcony for a while enjoying the cool night air, then went inside and cuddled up next to the fire. There was a hottub in our room, too, but we did not get a chance to use it.

The grounds were spectacular as well. Before dinner we played horseshoes outside, and even noticed there was a game room!

My husband and I love to travel, and we have stayed at many, many places, but this was by far one of the very best experiences I have ever had at a hotel stay. Thank you Ron, Donna, and Sean for everything! If we ever get back to your part of the country, we will definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Your detailed review is highly appreciated!

Reviewed 18 August 2009

I was the leader of the car club that visited Callahan's the weekend of August 7-9th, which triggered the review mixed review dated August 17. It is true that the lodge lowered their rates a couple of weeks before we arrived (We had booked the place 8 months ago). Upon arriving, we were advised of the change in rates and offered the difference in either lounge or gift shop purchases. In that we had already pre-ordered and paid for all our liquor and meals, I expressed doubt that we could use the voucher in the lounge and we were not interested in the gift shop. Not having the authority on his own to adjust the rates, the desk clerk contacted the owner and it was agreed that the rates would be adjusted downward to reflect the new lower prices. The clerk was gratious, and the owner was responsive to our concern.

The comments about the delay in checking needs to be taken in context. We had 19 couples all arrive at the VERY same time. Callahan's is a family run business, with only 19 rooms and they only have one computer at the front desk. Because they needed to make a change in the billing information, it naturally took more time to process each check-in. To the clerk's credit, he keep a smile on his face, was very cheerful, and asked for another clerk to assist him in getting registration forms signed and keys distributed. GIven the situation and the number of guests, I thought they did their best. I purposely chose Callahan's because of its small size and home-like feel. If I had wanted a Marriott with 6 receptionists, we would have gone there.

Regarding the spyder in the juice glass, this was a BUFFET. You went to the buffet table and poured your own juice and brought it back to your table. While I do not doubt the possiblility of a spyder getting into the glass, one should have looked first. This lodge is in the middle of the mountains. There are bugs in the forest and they will occassionally come inside just like they do in one's own home. All the guest needed to do was go back and get a new glass of juice, for heaven's sake. Callahan's was very clean and the fact that a spyder wondered inside is in no way a bad reflection on Callahan's.

I, and the majority of guests that accompanied the tour, were very pleased with our stay at Callahan's. The food was good, and I felt the staff was very polite and well trained. I have brought several car clubs up to Callahan's and always had a great experience, as we did this time. I will do so again. I would suggest readers ignore the Aug 17 review. I think he was having a bad day.

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank 87Alfa

Our response to this review is many years to late - but thank you for the time spent on your review and we have made this place even better, along with the check in time :)