“Clean, Affordable, Excellent Location”

The M Ashland Motel
Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
Los Angeles, California
“Clean, Affordable, Excellent Location”
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Asland motel is a very cute and clean place with friendly staff. It's located in central Ashland right by the university and close to the festivals. I could tell the rooms were newly remodeled in a very modern style.
My wife and I feel we got the best deal in town, considering other competitive options we had time to check. We didn't want to spend a whole lot for a fancy place and didn't want to stay at a rundown old motel either.
Also there's a great restaurant next door to the motel, so we didn't have to walk far to get breakfast. However if you have shopped at grocery you might wanna rent the rooms the offer with kitchen.
We will stay at the Ashland Motel when we visit Ashland next time.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank milass

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Portland, OR
Reviewed 7 September 2010

This place is great, owned by a sweet, older couple who are so kind and have a fantastic sense of style. They have totally re-furbished the rooms: new hardwood floors, beautiful tile showers, brand-new fixtures, amazing use of the small space (re: Ikea furniture). The location is about a 20min walk to the main dowtown part of Ashland. Oh and right next door is the best breakfast restaurant in Ashland (Morning Glory). I plan to stay here every time I go to Ashland.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Eugene, OR
Reviewed 2 September 2010

I have been to Ashland a few times, but this was the year I saw a Shakespeare play. They start late and end later (after 11 PM), so lodging close by is important. I think the lodging owners know this. Ashland is quite expensive and having a dog shrinks the pool quite a bit. Spending around $200/night for a room we will spend hardly any time in was beyond me. Someone told me that in Ashland that for that cash, it isn't any better than a 'normal' hotel.

We decided to pull the trigger on the Ashland Motel because they took dogs and it was relatively close to the plays, and was half the price of the other places I was looking at.

Pluses:
* Affordable for Ashland
* Room was a suite and was spacious
* Staff upgraded us to a nicer room that was away from the highway
* Close to downtown and very close to SOU. It was very pleasant evening walk home down B St to Mountainview to the highway. There was very little traffic and the starry sky was quite visible. I think it's also shorter than walking along the highway, too.
* The pool looked inviting, but we had other plans. Try it!
* Staff were very friendly, and made no fuss about having a pet.

Minuses:
* Shower temperature tended to wander, perhaps when other rooms used water.
* No TV channel guide in the room. Decor was minimalist.
* No wireless code provided. I could have asked but instead used a nearby motel’s unsecured wireless. My laziness makes the minus list.
* Can hear the neighbors walking around and it sounds like an upstairs tenant.
* Front door pretty flimsy

Almost anywhere outside Ashland I would give 3 stars but the value bumped it up for me.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RandyEugene
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 1 July 2010

I chose this motel because it's within walking distance to the theater complex and I wanted to save money. The shower is great and the beds are comfortable. That's it for the positives. Other rooms are being renovated, and there is constant loud noise, starting at 8:00 a.m., a compressor for a spray painter (or something). (It sounds like someone is trying to start a car which won't EVER start.) The towels are skimpy. There is virtually no furniture -- only the beds, a couch, and a metal structure on which to hang clothes. No table anywhere. We have everything piled on the microwave and, of course, the floors. My granddaughters 15 and 16 enjoyed themselves anyway, although they did exit the pool when the workmen decided to add bikini girl-ogling to their lunch break. How I do wish I had chosen The Palm next door for about $50 more a night.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank juliemom43

Travellers are raving about these Ashland hotels

Oregon
Reviewed 14 June 2010

I made our reservations just before the April 2010 review appeared below and thought about changing them, but decided to at least check the place out--I'm glad we did, our room was recently remodeled (so recently, in fact, that they don't have all the furniture yet and the room still smelled a bit of new paint.)

We had a king room with hardwood floors, fresh paint, and a newly tiled bathroom. Though they said there was new furniture expected any day, our room had only a metro rack for furniture--no end tables or dresser, and no closet, which meant there wasn't really any horizontal surface to put things down. That was kind of annoying but it sounds like it should be fixed soon. The bed was new and comfortable. The sheets and towels weren't super plush, but the bed did have a duvet--no yucky slippery hotel bedspread. There was a good-sized flat screen tv mounted on the wall and free (though sort of flakey) wireless internet. Our room had a small east-facing window that had privacy glass but no blind or shade so it was super-bright quite early in the morning. Hopefully there's also a window covering planned.

One thing that surprised me: someone obviously came into the room and replenished the soaps, but didn't change the sheets, make the bed, or replenish the towels. This didn't bother me, but if you're expecting to have your room made up you might put out the "maid service needed" door hanger.

The location is convenient to the Shakespeare Festival (a mile or so walk, or an easy drive) and just across the street from SOU. The room had a refrigerator and microwave, and there's a small pool in the middle of the parking lot--good for kids or for cooling off, but probably not a place you'd want to relax with a book.

Overall it's a good, decently priced, clean place to sleep if you're interested in exploring Ashland.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mizinformation
oregon
Reviewed 18 April 2010

We got to the ashland motel around 9pm, the girl was just leaving us a note on the dr telling us that her shift was over and that she was leaving. There were no other cars in the lot on this particular Sat night accept an old van parked on the far end which seemed a little odd. We were tired and hungry from driving all day and wanted to get to our rm, the clerk(?) Gal gave us our keys and pointed to the very back of the motel to our rm. We drove back and realized our rm was not only way in back but we also had to climb a rickety stair case and walk even further to the dr. My wife and I were not pleased with this, so I walked all the way back to the desk, caught the clerk before she split, (no replacment clerk) to her party our where ever she was off to and asked why, if no one else was staying here did you put us all the way over and up there. She explained that was the only rm w/ a king bed which I requested. I could hardly believe it, I also had noticed that the person(s) who had the old van were only 2 drs down from us, when I asked about this she told me that she lived in that rm... how creepy this was getting!! She offered us another rm but by this time I just wanted to get packed in, get some dinner etc and my wife was all ready pulling stuff out of the car. When I went into the rm it was a dusty, musty 1960's never upgraded crummy dump. In the so called closet there was only one hanger and it was cardboard and it was broken, just for starters! The bath rm was primitive and dumpy etc, I felt like I was in a 3rd world country but that's probably a compliment to the ashland mtl!! (just remembered, the windows had no locks on them!!) By then it was to late, our little clerk gal had left for the night (w/ no replacement in site)!! So we sucked it up as they say, went out to dinner, finally found a decent place to eat, and with a few glasses of red wine under our belts were able to go back and get some sleep in our: humble, dumpy, bumpy bed abode, gross!... Don't be fooled by the groovy pics they show on their website cause it's a bait and switch!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple