“Best Chinese in Ashland”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Golden Dynasty

Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Ashland, Oregon
“Best Chinese in Ashland”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

Hard to find consistent Chinese, and I usually settle on one place as preferred. This one is it for me. Usually get spicy shredded beef, pan fried noodles with chicken. You can order off the menu if the restaurant is not too busy. Conveniently located, it's easy to pop into Market of Choice while waiting on your order. They've recently opened a second restaurant in Medford.

Visited August 2013

Ashland, Oregon
“Should have cruised the freeway for a possum!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

I took my son out for Asian food for a relaxing talk. He ordered a vegetarian dish with tofu and I ordered a pasta dish with noodles, veggies and hot and sour soup. My soup arrived in a normal time frame but when I began
to eat it I discovered that it had a greasy flavour and didn't taste at all like usual hot and sour soup at other
restaurants. I left the spoon in it and set it off to the side. My food arrived and when tasting it i discovered that it had no discernible seasoning and I had asked for medium spicy. I also set that off to the side to take home to doctor up to my liking.
Still no food for my son and my original waitress had disappeared. i managed to flag down another and had to explain the situation and try to find out what happened to his order. She disappeared never to be seen again. Finally the first waitress was spotted and flagged over. I had to explain everything again. She said " Sorry, I'll check on it" . We finally received my son's order a full 30 minutes after mine arrived. To be fair his order was not too bad.
I looked over at my now cold hot and sour soup and noticed a film on top. Curious, I reached over and tried to stir it only to find out that I could lift the the soup and bowl with the spoon. When paying the bill I politely
informed the cashier about our experience at their establishment and received a "sorry about that".
Horrible experience!!!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Mark P
Washington DC
“Friendly service, large quantities, but poor food (taste & texture)”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

I had high hopes for this American Chinese restaurant as I entered it. The waitstaff greeted me warmly, and the restaurant interior had bright and cheerful decor. The prices on the menu looked reasonable but not too cheap.

The nice waitress asked me if I wanted hot tea, which I agreed to happily. However, the tea itself was a rather bitter black tea, reminicent of food service teabags. I'd expect at least a little higher grade black, or even a jasmine tea, at a Chinese place.

I ordered hot and sour soup, shrimp egg rolls, and Orange Shrimp, which was listed under "Chef's Specialties". I ordered a large soup, expecting a bowl rather than a cup. Instead I got what looked like a family-style bowl for four. The soup was mostly liquid, with the occasional lonely tofu chunk or two, and didn't have the clear balance between sour and savory that is sort of what defines the soup. The shrimp egg rolls came as a set of 3 cut in half with a strange red sauce on the side that was sort of tomatoey rather than the usual duck sauce. I had a hard time finding the shrimp in the rolls. I asked for chinese hot mustard, and got a yellow sauce that was slightly hot but had little mustard taste. The Orange shrimp, which I asked for spicy, came out as 13 large deep fried shrimp, each the size of a small cigar-- great quantity! However, the orange sauce it came in was not spicy at all, and was more cloying and more reminicient of, well, corn starch than of orange flavor. There were silvers of orange zest in the sauce, but not enough to infuse nearly enough flavor.

I ate about 1/4 of the soup, one of the egg rolls, and about five of the shrimp before I decided that I was enjoying none of them. I asked the waitress for boxes, which she quickly and cheerfully delivered. The bill came to about $22 before tip. The leftovers did not get any better after a night in the fridge, so I threw them away.

If you're looking for friendly service and large quantities, you could do worse than here. But if flavor and texture matter to you at all, I'd recommend you look elsewhere.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank BeakerSan
“Inedible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

This place was so over-Americanized that the sauces were canned, the broccoli over-cooked, etc. Awful

2 Thank debkits
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

I went here with a couple of friends that know about this kind of food. It was really amazing and good. Try spring rolls pretty good. It's not expensive. If you share it is really good deal, services is OK.

Visited November 2011

Been to Golden Dynasty? Share your experiences!