“Nice old building -- the rooms -- can you call something that small a room?”

Ashland Springs Hotel
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I had to be in Ashland for 2 nights. Decent hotel with a great lobby and staff. The room (mine was 512) is unusually small. While I understand the hotel is old there is no reason for a room to be 100 sq ft +,-. Also there is no room service but many restaurants close by.l ll'

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 July 2013

The Ashland Springs Hotel is an historic building. That and the deal they offer for tickets to the Shakespeare Festival made us want to stay there. Unfortunately, they were booked up the first night we needed, but available the next night, so we chose their sister location, Lithia Springs for the first night then moved to Ashland Springs for the second night.

Our stay at Lithia Springs was perfect. The cottages are spacious and plush with a large 2-person jaccuzi that you can fill with tap water or the natural spring water (which smells horrible, but is supposed to be very good for your skin) or a combination of both. There is a fireplace and sitting room and big comfortable bed. The area is quaint with beautiful flora and the complimentary breakfast was delicious, especially the fresh scones.

The next night at Ashland Springs was not so great. We had been traveling throughout Oregon for 2 weeks, so we had a good deal of luggage to bring in as we don't want to leave it in the car. Since there is no bell service, you must get a luggage cart and bring it out to your car to load. The difficulty here is that the entrance in the back from the parking lot is up a steep incline. Thank goodness I do P90X or I don't think my husband and I would've made it up the ramp! Once inside, you must wait for the ONE VERY TINY elevator to your room. We were on the top floor, so it took us forever. Without luggage I suppose you could take the stairs.

I know the rooms are old, but they smelled really musty and there were stains on the sheets. We also had to kill two bugs (not bedbugs, thank goodness) that were in the small room and bathroom. The bed was ok and the view was nice.

We were given a voucher for $30 off of the restaurant that attached to the hotel, but then we were told it was closed early for a private party and there were no reservations available for the early times before our play (making the voucher useless). The breakfast in the morning was standard continental fare and they kept running out of everything, including coffee! I wanted to go back and sneak into the Lithia Springs breakfast room! They also had no newspapers available; the less-than-friendly front desk person sent me down the street to Starbucks.

It is extremely convenient if you are going to the plays as they are just a short walk up the hill, but I would still stay out at Lithia Springs and make the 10 minute drive. Both locations offer the ticket package and our seats were perfect.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Booked ahead for busy season after the outdoor theater opens as a special treat for my wife's birthday. We had checked out the public areas and restaurant in prior years but had not been able to get in on short notice. The wait was worth it. We had a great room on one of the upper floors. Air conditioning was excellent without being noisy. The bathroom was a little small, but adequate and the rooms were very nice to come back to at night. Location in the center of town made it easy to pop back in for a rest break through the day. The included continental breakfast was very nice and the post theater drinks and snacks at night are a great touch. Only draw back is the single slow and low capacity elevator.

Room Tip: Definite preference for a higher room toward the front of the hotel.
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Even though we've been in Ashland many times, this was our first stay at the Ashland Springs Hotel. It was a wonderful experience. We rented three rooms for six of us. They were small, but very bright and nicely furnished. We had lovely views of town and of the hills beyond. The location could not be better--just 1-2 blocks from the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, and 1-2 blocks from great restaurants, interesting shops, and the leafy green oasis of Lithia Park. The room included a very nice continental breakfast in a comfortable and spacious dining area, and free parking right in the middle of Ashland. It was well worth the price. My only very slight complaint is that the front desk staff was overwhelmed. She was friendly and efficient and made us feel welcome, but things took a little longer than they might with some extra help up front.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have better views.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Have stayed here several times and have always enjoyed it. The location on the main street is perfect for an Ashland visit. The rooms are small, but clean. Continental breakfast served in the Larks Restaurant is included and after-theater snacks are served on the mezzanine level at night. The theaters are mere minutes away as well as many good restaurants. Will return to Ashland and will again stay at the Ashland Springs.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Booked a night at this hotel before checking into a B&B. Got a call at lunchtime ON THE DAY OF our booking that they were overbooked and couldn't honor our reservation. Offered to book us at a sister hotel 2 miles down the road which was a) much less nice and b) 2 miles down the road. We didn't have a car. No offer of comped anything, barely a sorry.

Oh, and they charged our credit card for the price of the hotel down the road before they called us, so we had to get two refunds from them.

I understand that occasionally mistakes happen, but this screwed up our vacation and to not offer any sort of renumeration was shocking.

Terrible service. Hotel looked nice though.

1  Thank Max R
AshlandRep, Manager at Ashland Springs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Good morning Mr. R,
I am very sorry you feel this way about our customer service. Please allow me to clarify a few things.
I allowed myself to contact you via email and phone a day before your scheduled arrival, as indeed we were oversold. We made sure we took care of you and 1) offered you accommodations in a spa bungalow at our sister resort and 2) discounted your rate by 50%. Since you had a reservation at Ashland Springs Hotel, and had paid an advance deposit at the time of booking, I went ahead and refunded half of it the moment we transferred your reservation to the resort. Thus, we did not charge you anything for your resort stay, but instead refunded half of your initial deposit.
When you called me back you informed me that there is no need to transfer you, as you were able to add that first night of your stay in Ashland to your existing reservation at the local B&B. You explained to me kindly that your plan from the beginning was to stay at that B&B with the group of friends, but the B&B was full and did not have that initial day available until the day we spoke. You told me it worked out great as you did not have to move anywhere during your vacation. We then refunded the second half of your deposit.
As you see, we never charged your card for the stay at the resort, but instead we refunded your stay. We always pride ourselves in taking care of our guests and all communication with you indicated that you were satisfied with how we handled this situation. I would highly appreciate if you could contact me directly and let me know in what way my effort to take care of your stay could be improved. Again thank you for your feedback. We hope you reconsider your opinion about our historic hotel and our team.
Respectfully, Karolina Wyszynska-Lavagnino, Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed 25 June 2013

To celebrate my husband's birthday, we spent two nights in this wonderfully quaint hotel. We reserved a boutique queen room which was small, but lovely and well appointed. We stayed on the 5th floor and had a view of the Rogue River Valley. Our location was central to everything of interest in Ashland. We had a wonderful time walking in Lithia Park, experiencing Shakespeare in the outdoor theatre, and visiting Ashland's many shops. We had a fabulous dinner at Lark's (in the hotel) and took in a Cabaret show! All-in-all this was a relaxing, peaceful visit and we plan to return for the 2014 Season. We've been to Ashland many times. This was the first time we didn't worry about finding parking. We parked "once" and walked and walked. Loved this aspect of our trip!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views. The parking lot for the hotel is off the 3rd floor, making it very...