“A health hazard for allergy. & sinus sufferers for sure.(Dust. & Mold)” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ashland Springs Hotel

Ashland Springs Hotel
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
“A health hazard for allergy. & sinus sufferers for sure.(Dust. & Mold)”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Rooms are very small, bathrooms are worst. Bathroom had a tiny sink, and a tiny locker room type of shower- just awful. There was so much dust(75yr old hotel) it was on my towels in the bathroom. The parking is atrocious as we had to walk up the hill to our car. The hotel restaurant& bar closes at 8p ( even seniors stay up past 8, so not sure tag reasoning here). After 8 you have to dine or drink elsewhere. And get this fitness lovers-the gym is 4 blocks or more from the hotel. You get a decent workout just walking there(never seen this before), off site gym is very small-not your 24hr fitness at all. Service was friendly but we are never returning just for decent service. Plaza Inn & Suites rescued us from this place, thank
God. Plaza was a very nice change from this mess. My co-worker and I thought Ashland was one of the worst hotels we've stayed, and we love luxury. Don't be fooled by decor-this place is awful.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Toyspr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Thai first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

Great location right in the middle of Ashland so a very short walk to the shops and theatre. Was nice to stay in a non-chain hotel - really saw the difference with some unique touches and clearly a high level of attention to detail has gone into the decor.
Is quite pricey though so really you are paying for that location and the history of the building but I think its worth a try for one night.
One note, if you are getting a room facing the street then expect street noise. I had a very loud delivery truck at about 5am.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

This is an oasis in Oregon.
We were very lucky to get a room on the corner with double aspect and great view of Grizzly. Friendly reception staff who were also very helpful.
Everything was great.
Comfortable bed and at last in the US a feather pillow. Can't stand the polyester version.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Sonoma County
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

For me the decor is spot on. I feel like I've stepped back in time when walking into the place. The lobby area is especially enjoyable and inviting. The owners did a fabulous job restoring this hotel in a way that's appropriate for the building's age and architecture. For that reason I'm willing to put up with a small, cramped room and still give it a 4-star rating. If you need lots of space in your room, this might not be the place for you, unless you're willing to pay a premium price for their top category. The very convenient location and ample free parking also factored into my rating.

My mother and I shared a small room furnished with 2 double beds, a petite desk and chair, a small upholstered armchair, and an armoire containing the tv. Of the seven hotels we stayed in on our recent road trip, this was the only one that did not provide an in-room safe (also the smallest room we stayed in and one of the most expensive). However, the bathroom had the best lighting of all our hotels. Good lighting is one of my pet peeves, so I did appreciate the useful, bright lighting in the bathroom. Also, this was one of the most comfortable beds on the trip. The room was small, but I felt pampered because of the super-comfy beds, bathrobes and upgraded toiletries.

It was difficult to find space for 2 suitcase racks. I had to put one in front of the desk, basically rendering it unusable. In the bathroom there's not much counter space. In keeping with the historic style, the bathroom had a pedestal-type sink with a glass shelf above it. The sink is curious because it's not really a pedestal sink (see my picture). It's attached to the wall with exposed pipes below which are covered with ugly black bags. It was the ugliest thing I saw in a room on this trip -- ironic for such a lovely hotel.

In the evening there were cookies, coffee, tea, lemonade and popcorn available in the mezzanine overlooking the lobby. The continental breakfast is served in a very pleasant dining room. We wanted to have dinner there the night we arrived, but it was already booked up. I've stayed at this hotel three times over the past 10 years and I've never been able to experience their restaurant -- either because it was closed, booked, or the timing wasn't right.

I have a suggestion for the hotel: install a curved rod for the shower curtain and put a small towel bar next to the sink. Two easy, inexpensive ways to increase the comfort and convenience in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Parking lot access is on the 3rd floor. A room near this door might be noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

I don't understand how this hotel has got such good reviews. When we checked in we had less then helpful service. Our room was small and dirty. There was black mold above the shower and big black marks all over our headboard. The decor is old and worn, even the toliet seat has been worn through. There is a very cold draft in the bathroom and The fridge made a horrible noisy all night. I'm sure there would be better accomadation in this area.

• Stayed September 2013
5 Thank highlander0220
Portland Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

We've stayed at the Ashland Springs Hotel many times (and even back to years gone by when it was the Mark Anthony). We love to go back as often as we can. Everything is good about this hotel -- the staff, the décor, the comfortable rooms (although, admittedly, a bit small). I especially love the use of "Monet yellow" everywhere -- walls, draperies, furniture -- it's elegant and comforting at the same time.
The best thing about the hotel is its location. Right in the middle of downtown Ashland, & only a short block to the central plaza of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. There are great restaurants all around town, including the hotel's own Lark Home Kitchen Cuisine. Good shopping in downtown Ashland, too. We always run out of time!
There are a couple other very upscale (& more expensive) hotels in Ashland, which we haven't tried, and of course numerous B&B's. But I think I will always be of the opinion that the Ashland Springs Hotel just might be the best place to stay in this delightful little town!

Room Tip: 1 - Book a King room & you will get a little more floor space. 2 - Free parking in the back lo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple