“A Fine New Year's Eve”

Ashland Springs Hotel
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
“A Fine New Year's Eve”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We chose to pamper ourselves with a stay-cation near home at this fine historic hotel on New Year's Eve. The room was small (as expected) but adequate. The bed was excellent, and in spite of being in a busy hallway, very quiet. The whole experience was great! While there we also enjoyed a massage at the spa across the street, and an excellent dinner at Larks, the hotel restaurant. It couldn't have been better. I'd especially recommend this for romance or adventure.

Room Tip: We chose 3rd floor, which has an easy entry from the parking lot and near the same level as the brea...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Thai first
Brookings, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

The hotel is absolutely beautiful. The holiday decorations were still up on New Year's Eve, so we got to enjoy those. Our deluxe queen room was very small, but perfect. For one night, there is no need for a bigger room. The location is the best in Ashland, as you can walk everywhere in town.
We have stayed before and also attended a wedding reception there. I am always impressed with the beauty of the hotel.
I have a few complaints from this trip, however. As it is their slow time of year, I think they laid off a lot of people. When we checked in, there was no one at the desk, as she was running around getting ice for guests, as the guest icemaker was broken. Checkout took forever, as there was one woman checking people out and taking phone calls. She also had no change and no way to get any for those of us wanting to pay cash.
The breakfast was a disappointment. We were told upon check-in that breakfast was until 10:30 (says 9:30 in the guest book though). I don't know if she was mistaken or if the breakfast crew didn't know it had been extended. I think on New Year's Day, it should definitely be extended. We rolled down there about 9:45, and there was slim pickings, to say the least. There were a lot of people still coming in for breakfast, and they just started taking things away, starting with the coffee, at a little past 10:00.
Overall though, it's a wonderful hotel. I just think maybe next time I'll make other plans for breakfast.
In addition, I saw an earlier review of a New Year's Eve stay where the guest complained about the noise coming from the street all night. Our room faced main street, and we had no problems with excessive noise. Of course, there is some traffic noise and some voices. I think if you want quiet on New Year's Eve, you should probably stay home.

Ashland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

My wife and I found this hotel on a drive to San Francisco with the help of Trip Advisor and suggestion of a gas station attendant. This is a great, classic old hotel that has been very nicely updated which is obvious as soon as you enter the spacious lobby. Our room wasn't large but the king size bed was very comfortable, the room and private bath were nicely appointed and our third floor room that overlooked the Main Street was quiet. Nice as the room was we didn't want to spend a lot of time in it as the hotel is located in the heart of this charming town and we preferred to be out walking and enjoying the shops. This town is a tourist destination but they have done things right. The shops are all local--no chain stores and not a shoddy T-shirt store in sight. We were traveling with our bicycles and they stored them without hesitation. (See also my review of their restaurant, Larks Home Kitchen Cuisine.). All this and a very reasonable price. We look forward to returning for a longer stay. V. Gibbs

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Halfway between San Francisco and Seattle in the picturesque small town of Ashland, on a prominent corner of the main street in the heart of the Shakespeare Festival venues, stands a tastefully remodeled grand old hotel. The upper floors provide a view across the valley and when we were there the lobby was hosting a fascinating collection of turn of the last century bird nests and eggs, collected when ornithology was an American passion. It might seem a strange choice for an otherwise elegant and spacious hotel lobby, but it fit in perfectly with the motif of 1930's Arm and Hammer bird prints which were hung all around. The atmosphere was gracious and friendly and the complimentary breakfast was hearty and served in the small restaurant next door providing a comfortable and cozy setting reminiscent of the better small European hotels. We had a lovely stay. Our room was well furnished and bathtub shower combination allowed me to both clean and soak. The room was small but after we got over the initial shock, was quite adequate. We parked ourselves in the lot behind the hotel, which was included in the price of the room, and walked a few paces to the back door. After a shower and change we walked out of our room and directly to our show in 3 minutes. What could be easier?

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor and a view across the valley.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Yes, the rooms are small. No place to put anything but you must expect this. It's in every review. The breakfast is great, I thought. But I love yogurt and rasberry sauce. It was a great selection, trust me.

The windows should really be changed out. It's historical yes, but no excuse for this day and age to blatantly waste energy. Enough already with the historical stuff. Lobby for sure needs an update. I was there 3 years ago and everything, everything, is in exactly the same spot as I am sure it will be forever and ever. A dusty mess.

I just wish the gal at the front desk had not rolled her eyes at me. Someone had smoked on our floor and it was as if I had asked for the moon. They sprayed and it went away quickly but when she addressed it with me after dinner, she rolled her eyes again. Geeze. That's also where the lavender comes in. It made the room smell great.

I still like the place though. Location downtown, parking, restaurant are very good.

Room Tip: Corner, downtown view, northside of building away from generator
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
San Carlos, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

My husband and I loved this place. Yes, it is an older hotel but that was what we wanted. We booked a king size room that faces right downtown. (unit 320) The view was beautiful. The room was perfect. The location is awesome. We could walk to shops, restaurants and Lythia park. We arrived right after a big snow storm which made the location even that much better so that we didn't have to drive to do things. We liked the continental breakfast buffet, it was perfect for us. We will definitely be back and we highly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank DeniseH80
Ashland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel recently for a weekend couples retreat. The room was very small, bathroom tiny, but clean and nice enough. Foolishly, I thought 'breakfast included' meant a real breakfast, not pastries and coffee. The worst part was the conference room for the retreat. It was large with very high ceilings and difficult to hear the presenters. Apparently, the staff is used to using this room as a pass thru and it also borders the sink where the dirty dishes are washed. The staff continuously came thru the room and the sound of dishes never stopped. We complained half a dozen times about the noise and the interruptions. Nothing was done until i let the manager know that we would not pay for the room if there was 1 more interruption, and it finally stopped. I would not recommend the hotel for a conference, but the location is good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple