Plaza Inn & Suites at Ashland Creek
Ashland Hills Hotel & Suites(Ashland)(Great Value!)
US$155
US$92
US$89
Econo Lodge(Ashland)
US$76
Best Western Windsor Inn(Ashland)(Great Value!)
US$117
US$106
Comfort Inn & Suites Ashland(Ashland)(Great Value!)
US$95
Ashland Springs Hotel(Ashland)(Great Value!)
US$216
US$203
Travelocity
The Palm(Ashland)(Great Value!)
US$97
US$89
All reviewscookiesshakespeare festivalashland creeklithia parka late night snackmake your own waffleswithin walking distanceyogurtpet friendly roomcovered parkingseparate buildingfree breakfastclose to townrooms are cleanbreakfast roomfront desk staffeasy walk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Congratulations to the management of this hotel for being so successful that they don't have to worry about whether clients return. Before leaving Ashland this year, I stopped in to the lovely historic Ashland Springs hotel and made reservations for 4 rooms for a week next June 2014, which I told the front desk supervisor as I checked out, she blithely replied, "Hope you enjoy your stay there."
My employer pays for this trip, and I've encouraged family and friends to join me over the years.
I was so mad earlier this week when I wrote my review, that I decided to wait until I had calmed down. But I'm still mad and sad. That's probably why I didn't give them an "Average" rating.

Must be nice to be so successful that you don't have to care about clients who have been coming to your hotel for, oh say, the past 11 years. I called in April to book our 4-day stay. I was assured by the young lass who took my reservation that she would be able to move me from the pet-friendly part of the hotel to the regular hotel by July.
I arrived today. The front desk clerk said, "Oh you have animals?" I said "No." But here I am, in a room that smells like urine, with a thundering herd of children overhead. All because they got really busy this week and everything booked up and they couldn't be bothered with the trouble of honoring a guest's reasonable request.
We wheeled our luggage rack over to the pet palace and found that the maid's cleaning cart was blocking our room. She sullenly moved it and watched with disinterest as we attempted to maneuver around her to get into our room. No offer of help or even an effort to get her cart sufficiently out of our way. What's up with that?
When I called to make reservations in April, the reservation clerk assured me that although they appeared to be fully booked, she thought we could be moved into the main hotel by July. It was clear when we checked in, that no thought or effort had been made to do so. So we stayed out in the dog house. Our room, #105, stank. The air conditioning unit rattled every time the compressor came on, waking us up throughout the night. They sent a handy man to fix it. He shoved the unit when it came on and the rattle stopped. So it was simple, during the night, all we had to do was get up every time the air conditioner came on, go over and shove the unit. I finally pulled the cover off and the rattle stopped. If you stay in the pet friendly dog house, you will hear dogs barking, particularly the poodle in the room next door to us, but only when his owners were out, which was much of the time.
Be aware that the manager of the hotel has left a nifty little note (see below) in each room, letting you know that if you leave ANY of your stuff ANYwhere, the cleaning staff won't clean that area. For example, if you leave a piece of paper on the bed, they won't make the bed (we experimented!). Also, if you don't clear out of your room during the morning when they are cleaning, you will need to request room service, which you may or may not get. I tried to shame them one year by asking to borrow a vacuum cleaner to use in our room, they were happy to let me vacuum my own room.
Another year we had a family walk in on us (we weren't dressed) because they had double-booked our room.
The hotel does not have enough parking, requiring you to leave your car on the street if you don't get there early enough. We had our windshield wipers bent back on our Range Rover in the past when we've had to park on the street. There is a seedy, feral population in Ashland that you need to be aware of, particularly at night.
Despite these incidents we kept returning. My parents (80s) don't like change. This hotel isn't a bad place, like a good Best Western. Eleven years ago it was new, and very nice. Not a great deal has changed over the years, now it's a bit tatty and dated, although they finally did update the woefully inadequate breakfast area. However, for essentially the same price, you can stay at the Ashland Springs hotel, a lovely gracious historic building, right next to the Shakespeare Festival and in the heart of the town, with a great restaurant on the premises and within a 2-block range. But you will need to make your reservation early to ensure that you don't get stuck at a lessor hotel i.e. Plaza Inn & Suites. Again, congrats to the Plaza Inn and Suites for your business success.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the dog house unless you have pets. Bring incense if not. Room #105 in the pet palace has a loud air-conditioning unit.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank SaladAlexander
SJohnsonGM, General Manager at Plaza Inn & Suites at Ashland Creek, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

I am truly disappointed you will not continue to stay at the Plaza and understand that apologies will not change your mind. I would be remiss to not acknowledge and thank you for your many years of patronage.
I realize @ the time you booked your room there was not a room available in the main building, A room had opened up in the main building and a message was left stating we could move you but we did not hear back. Generally the direction is to not change the room type until we hear back from the guest, obviously that was a mistake and again, I apologize.
If you reconsider in the future, I am only a phone call away and would love to personally help make the next stay a positive and happy memory.
I wish you and your family many years of happiness.
Shannon

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Tempted to give it 5 stars: The rooms are large and comfortable enough. The staff gracious. The extras (a good breakfast, afternoon wine-tasting, after-theatre cookies and milk) generous. The location (short walk to theatres, park, and a multitude of restaurants) superb. Parking available. So what was missing? No pool (hot-tub available, but just about on the street). It just lacks a certain flair that would make the inn more welcoming. But anytime I am back to Ashland, this is the place.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank edgar m

Thank you for taking the time to review the Plaza Inn and Suites. I am happy you enjoyed the room, decor and excellent customer service.
I appreciate your comments and welcome any suggestions to make your next stay even more enjoyable.
Again, thank you for your comments and your patronage.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Been coming here for the last 2-3 years and always glad for the comfy rooms and friendly staff. It is in downtown Ashland within walking distance to the theaters. Love the location to shopping and variety of restaurants. There is a workout room which never seems crowded. The area is quiet and overlook Ashland Creek where you can read or just sit. It is near a spa which you can book for a great massage too. Has free breakfasts too and if you get there early you can score a good seat. But there are great nearby restaurants to tryout too.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

We are so pleased you enjoyed your recent stay at the Plaza. Being able to walk to the plays and not having to worry about parking is definitely a nice feature.
We look forward to your next visit and thank you again for taking the time to review the hotel.

Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 days. The rooms are nice. The location to nice shops & restaurants is great. The staff was very friendly. The reason I did not give it a 5 rating is because of the breakfast situation. The breakfast room is much too small & crowded. The scrambled eggs were awful. How do you ruin eggs unless the are powdered & microwaved. The bacon was very greasy. But most of all it was just not comfortable being squeezed in & elbowing your way to get food. It is also very pricey even though we got a special rate for the wedding group we were with.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the Plaza Inn and Suites. I am excited to say we have completed a renovation of the breakfast room ;all new decor, breakfast displays as well as additional seating.
The breakfast items offered continuously change; I appreciate your input to ensure the next stay meets your expectations.
Again, thank you for your patronage and time.

Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

The Plaza is perfectly located one block off Main Street. Peacefully tucked in the trees along the creek, the Plaza is convenient to all the shops without the hustle & bustle. The creekside patio garden is an afternoon delight. And the offer early evening snack, bedtime cookies & milk AND for after the theatre, midnight PB&J! What hospitality!

• Stayed: May 2013
SJohnsonGM, General Manager at Plaza Inn & Suites at Ashland Creek, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

We are pleased your enjoyed your stay at the Plaza Inn and Suites. The location is ideal for a peaceful, relaxing and very quiet stay. Thank you for the positive feedback. We look forward to seeing you again.