“Southern Oregon Preview day visit” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Palm

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashland
The Palm
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Davis, California
“Southern Oregon Preview day visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

We took a quick trip up to Ashland for SOU preview day. I chose The Palm for its location, literally across the street from SOU. We had a deluxe suite, and enjoyed every moment. The beds are comfy, with warm blankets. The remote controlled heater was decadent. Lying in bed and adjusting the room temperature, I can't do that at home! We had a lovely kitchen, only used it to make tea. A great spot to drink my tea and read the newspaper at the kitchen table, just like home. The grounds are gorgeous, and the sent of lavender fills the air.
If my son decides to attend SOU, then we will certainly return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stay at the Palm when is Ashland for plays, food binges or whatever. Year before last my Cycle Oregon pals and I rented the whole place when Cycle Oregon passed through and had a luau in the gardens.

The Palm is a retro deco little old fashioned road motel. Very cool. The appliances in the kitchen units are old 50 and 60's stuff and all work perfectly. Grounds and gardens are amazing. Salt water pool and cabanas is a bit over the top, but way nice.

Rooms are small (SMALL), cozy and romantic, and are immaculately kept down to a little vase of fresh flowers.

It is indeed pricey during theater season, but, hey. It's Ashland. No rooms are a bargain even at the Bedbug Inn down the street.

Location is across from college campus. a pretty good walk to town but doable.

Staff is always very laid back and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

We recently travelled across Oregon on a hiking trip. One of the non-hiking highlights was the Shakespeare Festival, including a nice stay in Ashland. This was not the place. The room smelled of urine. Very disappointed. We discussed this with the staff the morning of our departure and received no empathy, apology yikes. Not very happy with our choice.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank stelm0
inventure, General Manager at The Palm, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for your letter. We apologize for your experience, and offer you the following as an explanation. In all of our rooms we include a bouquet of fresh flowers, many from our own gardens, and some species do smell unfortunately like urine after they are cut. A quick google search will confirm that for anyone who is curious. We surmise that we put the wrong type of flowers in your room just before you arrived. Please let us know next time that you would prefer us not to place fresh flowers in your room, and our staff will be pleased to accommodate your request. Again, thank you.
Corvallis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Let's see on the down side, might be that the room was small, but then it was big enough for one and that's all there was. There was no coffee pot, but there was coffee and tea in the office.

It's a charming place. The staff was very nice, very helpful. The bed was comfortable. There was plenty of hot water in the shower. It was clean. Nice plantings outside. You can tell what my requirements are. It's within walking distance of Southern Oregon U.

They had a heat pump so room was a perfect temperature that I could control.

I did cancel one of my days (stayed two) and canceled within a week of arrival, hoping that was enough. It wasn't. I was charged $25. Ah well.

I'd still stay there again, but would make sure of my plans before I reserved.

Room Tip: I was in room 0. It's the closest to the office and I could hear some moving around from there a...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
San Francisco, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

I've never stayed at the Palm Cottages in Ashland, Oregon. And after dealing with their customer service people over the phone, I am glad I never did!

This place has a very very strict reservation change and cancellation policy, etc. I had to change my reservation twice in advance, and I was charged $50 dollars. I finally had to cancel a week before my stay, I was told that they were keeping my $119.00 (first nights’ stay deposit)...WOW! What hotel does that?

They essentially made money off change my reservation and my overall cancellation, WOW! They made about $169.00 off of me, and I never even got a credit for a future stay. Not to mention, I spoke with both Kat and David, who were both very nasty toward me when I brought this up.

I will never stay at this place because I do not feel that they have good business ethics or policies. What kind of Hotel keeps your deposit after you cancel a week before your stay and charges for changing your reservation?

Beware!!! If you stay at the Palm Cottages and if you change or cancel you reservations, you will pay the price!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
11 Thank Rileyke
Thank for the opportunity to respond. When guests reserve with us, they do agree to give us a certain amount of notice if they wish to cancel and receive a refund of their deposit. Unfortunately, the hotel did not receive notice in time to return your deposit to you. As for the $50 that you say you were charged, those charges were never made. You did forfeit your deposit though, and we know how frustrating it is to incur a cancellation fee. We apologize for that, but that is the agreement we made with you to hold that room in your name and turn away other guests who were interested in the nights you reserved. It is likely that the hotel still lost money attempting to rebook the multiple nights that you cancelled, given that we only charged you for one of them. Again, thank you for expressing your concerns.
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

We travel to Ashland once a year for the Shakespeare plays and have stayed in various inns. We particularly enjoyed the Palms Cottages this year. We walked to the day time plays ( 15 minutes) and drove to the plays at night. The Morning Glory cafe was next door for breakfast or we had a microwave for fixing a lite meal. The hotel is well equipped with wonderful coffee and the office was very helpful with any requests. There are a variety of rooms available. The two bedroom unit was wonderful for the three of us, and the outdoor pool and cabanas were fun for game playing or swimming. We all agreed this is our new inn.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

We wanted something a bit different and special for our last night in the USA and the Palm Cottages certainly lived up to our expectation. Although the room was small there were some lovely cozy touches that made it feel more like ones own bedroom rather than a motel. The grounds are stunning with some lovely garden chairs in which to relax. The pool area is amazing and you are made to feel most welcome from the moment you arrive. There is great attention to detail with regard to every aspect of this motel.

It is on the pricey side but after two weeks of all types of accommodation we were happy to pay that little bit extra.

The motel is easy to find and within walking distance of both the Morning Glory Cafe for breakfast and Omar's Restaurant for an evening meal. Both eateries offer the extra touches that we were looking for at the end of our holiday.

We wouldn't hesitate in staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple