“Sweet Place!”

The Palm
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Palm ....it was a very hot day, and we loved sitting in one of the many outdoor spaces to transition into the cooler evening . The gardens are beautiful...the rooms are small,but certainly nice. The bed was comfortable, and it was quiet....all very important to us. The hosts were very welcoming and had a great suggestion for breakfast at Morning Glory, just 1 1/2 blocks away. We would stay there again, for sure .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed at the Palm for 3 nights with two friends recently. When I heard that we had booked a "renovated 50s motel" I was, shall we say, skeptical. But, boy, what a pleasant surprise! We stayed in the two bedroom cabin (room 14) for the first two nights - big comfy beds, deep shower with more nozzles than I knew what to do with, thick towels, our own deck overlooking the garden, everything lovingly updated. This is no ordinary updated motel! The third night we were in regular rooms (3 was mine). Again, super comfy beds, a pillow menu(!), modern bathrooms, spotless...but, strangely, also a bit of furniture from my grandma's yard sale (or so it seemed). Would highly recommend that they cull some of the old desks and mismatched bed stands in the regular rooms. In any case, who spends a lot of time looking at bed stands when you are in Ashland? The real selling points of this place are the gorgeous gardens including two hidden side gardens with comfy chairs and plenty of shade trees, perfect for dozing over a good book on a warm afternoon, and the resort-quality pool complete with reservable cabanas, warm salt water pool, tinkling fountains and top notch poolside furniture. As for location, it's a good 15 minute walk south of downtown which I consider walkable and it's two doors down from yummy breakfast mecca, Morning Glory, which almost makes you glad you have to walk to town. Will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: The cabin is much more updated than the traditional rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed for two nights. Loved the old fashioned feel. Rooms were clean, quiet and private. Will stay there again.
Only problem was low water pressure in the shower, and tiny bathroom.
I'm done writing but in order to post this I need at least 200 characters. I'm up to 275.
Hello

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steve S
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My friend and I have met in Ashland before on more than occasion and stayed at The Columbia. We completely enjoy the charm and convenience of that hotel, but it was booked on the weekend we were meeting friends so we decided to stay at its sister property, The Palm.

We both fell in love with the place and plan to bring our families there the next time we're in Ashland. You can enjoy all that Ashland has to offer - you're only about a mile from the plaza, and it's a pleasant walk if you're able - but you also get an oasis if you have time to take advantage of it (and you should). There is a terrific (saline) pool area complete with cabanas (an extra charge of $35 a day but worth it if you take a day off and spend it at the pool) and beautiful lawns and garden areas dotted with pretty chairs and tables.

Our room was very clean, well-maintained and decorated nicely. You just have to see this place to know how charming it is.

And on top of that, everyone we've met at both The Columbia and The Palm have been completely delightful - from the people who greet you and work the desk to the people who are cleaning and maintaining the place. When we told Lou at the front desk how the owners really know how to hire great people (as a compliment to him), he happily turned it into a compliment about the owners, saying they were great to work for. We all left with smiles on our faces, vowing to come back.

Very highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The grounds and the pool were fabulous. A nice hot sunny day, relaxing by the pool, waiting for the show. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff were extremely helpful and nice. This motor court reminded me of my childhood road trips. Fun!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank realdl
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Found this gem by accident and so glad we did! Quaint rooms, beautiful gardens, and relaxing pool area with cabanas. It was like walking into a private beautifully landscaped estate. Staff was very helpful and accommodating. Had a lovely stay would highly recommend. We will book again when we return to Ashland.

Room Tip: Only complaint was that bed was soft - might want to ask about that before picking a room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We attended my nephews college graduation recently and stayed at The Palm. It was within walking distance to the stadium and we were able to leave our car at the hotel during graduation. I made my reservations at the last minute so I was very happy that I was able to get a room. This was the most beautiful hotel that I have stayed in (and we have stayed i a lot of higher end hotels). We stayed in room #15 which was so beautifully done from the bedding, to the kitchen and bathroom. It was so clean I thought that maybe no one had ever stayed in that room before! The staff was awesome so quick to accommodate us. The grounds were so beautiful and serene. I wish we could have stayed longer! Definitely will stay again when we are in Ashland.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family