“Thieves and Liars”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My wife and I and another couple booked two rooms for two nights for the Shakespeare Festival, based on its low price and overall high ratings. On Sunday July 27th we left in the morning to take in shows and the Ashland attractions. We put a "Do not Disturb" card in the key slot because we did not need maid service. When we returned Sunday night my iPhone charger was missing. We looked for the charger and checked for other missing items. We did not find the charger and nothing else was taken. When we packed up on Monday morning the charger was still missing so before leaving I reported it to the owner, whose name is Mo. He sent someone (probably his daughter) to look for it but it was not found. I called Mo on Thursday morning to find out if the charger had been recovered. During this conversation I stated that the phone was "stolen" rather than "missing". Mo did not dispute this or react to it in any way and told me that he would investigate and report back to me. Since I did not hear from Mo, I called again on Friday afternoon, and this time I spoke with Mo's wife. She seemed to know nothing about the theft so I went through the details with her and told her that I had talked with Mo the prior morning. She took a message for Mo, which was, "What are you going to do about the stolen iPhone charger?" Mo's promised a return call that afternoon or the next morning. That was two days ago and still no call. So apparently Mo does not consider the theft of an iPhone charger worthy of his time. It s clear that he does not want to deal with employee theft, or quite possibly, family theft. We did see what appeared to be two of his children, probably in the age range of 12-15, with free rein over the property. Could the "Do not Disturb" sign have been too much of a temptation to one of his free-roaming kids? The theft of a $20 charger should not be that difficult a problem for a motel owner to deal with, but in this case, Mo has failed miserably. How are you going to trust him and his employees (and children) after such an incident?

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Brigid O
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Small room made it hard for 2 people to move around. narrow parking space - could barely open doors. Sign says to pull cars in, but not enough room to get large bag between cars. Continental breakfast is fine, and Burger King is behind motel.

Room Tip: get a room with only 1 bed
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gowestnut
Reviewed 7 July 2014

It was 4th of July weekend, and we had no reservations. Ashland was the least place we expected to find a hotel, so we were really surprised that this hotel had rooms available.
The hotel was nice, but it could've been better.
The building was nice, and it was set on a nice mountain background. The view from the balcony was nice, the room and bathroom was nice clean, and there was even a swimming pool. Breakfast was good. There was fruit, coffee, orange juice, and guests could make their own waffles.
I do have a few complaints though. $99 was a bit expensive. IDK if this was because of 4th of July weekend, or if they always charge that much.
We didn't like that there weren't any restaurants in the area, there was only a Burger King.
The rooms had a menu with room service. We thought they cook the food at the hotel, but it comes from restaurants, who cater to the hotel.
I tried to order some food over the phone, and couldn't get a hold of them. There was a machine, and they started asking me some weird questions about medicine and hospitals. Completely unrelated to ordering food. I got confused, and hung up. The lady at the front desk told us, the nearest restaurant is 2 miles away, so we went hungry that night.
I think they should make it, so you can connect directly to restaurant staff, or the hotel staff should place the order for you, because I could not figure out how to do it.
The so called "room service", needs some serious improvement. That was really the only issue we had. Other than that, the hotel was great, but whoever designed their stair system, needs to be fired.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RealTravelman
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The location is good in that it is right off of the freeway and a short drive to downtown Ashland. The hotel is older (dated) but is kept clean and was a good price for the age and location. The towels were worn but the water for the shower was hot. The staff was efficient, if inpersonal. My daughters liked that the front desk had black jelly beans. In general, this hotel would get a "Very Good" from me because of the price point and cleanliness. Unfortunately, the breakfast bumped it down to "Average".

We came in near the end of breakfast (~15 minutes before they closed). Almost everything was gone. There was a waffle machine but the batter was separating when I looked at it. The fruit was gone and no one refilled it. There were other empty containers as well. I was left with a choice of an English muffin or cereal. I resigned myself to cold cereal, only to find that they were also out of milk. So, breakfast was dry cereal and a glass of fake orange juice.

So, my recommendation is to stay here for a cheap rate but eat out!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KimJ_in_Oregon
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed for 4 nights to see the Shakespeare festival in Ashland. The room was clean and the price was very reasonable. The pool was cool and clean. The staff was very friendly and always available. There was fresh fruit every morning and the breakfast staff was helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for hair dryer as there is not one in room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joan P
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We decided to try this motel because of some of the better reviews, but should have paid attention to the less flattering ones. The rooms were a minimum of amenities and not that nice. No coffee makers available in the rooms or in the office. The bed was not comfortable and the bath/shower area was so small you could hardly turn around in it. It was kind of the "ick" factor besides (mineral deposits and mold.) The continental breakfast was fair and located in a dilapidated building. We will never stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed here for two nights during the Shakespeare Festival and overall it was an okay room. Not too bad of a commute from there to downtown Ashland. When my friends and I went to bed we stripped all the sheets noticing they were either dirty or very worn in some spots. There was no extra blankets or pillows so we had to go to the front desk and ask. Most of the workers there, although all were very nice, had minimal people skills. The best thing about the hotel was the air conditioning, towels, and watermelon at breakfast. Overall we got what we paid for and my friends and I enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: June 2014