“Nice setting but accommodations......”
Review of Ashland Hostel

Ashland Hostel
Ashland Hostel
Tampa Bay, Florida
“Nice setting but accommodations......”
Reviewed 17 September 2011

were not what I expected, especially since I have stayed in private rooms in hostels before. The first night, I stayed in a small private room that you had to enter via one of the dorm rooms. So while I had a door that locked, it was weird having to go into a dorm room occupied by 6 women to get to my room. As far as I could see, there was just one bathroom on the second floor for the women to use (one toilet, one sink and two showers to share) and small half bath on the first floor with a toilet and sink. The men stayed in the basement area and I don't know what their bathroom situation was. Also, I don't know how a M/Fcouple could be accommodated in some of those private rooms since entry was through a single-sex dorm room. The second night, I stayed in the largest private room there that had a private bathroom (BIG PLUS) but it was also the emergency exit for the hostel so the door to the room didn't lock and the door to the outside could be accessed from the outside with the entry code (the same code given to all guests for the front entrance.) So I didn't sleep very soundly or take a long, luxurious shower. You could store a small bag or backpack in a locked cabinet but if I had a small suitcase, it would not have fit. It was a nice room.... just a rather odd arrangement.

The hostel itself was clean and the kitchen was well outfitted. Lots of variety of teas and they provided organic coffee. The two refrigerators and large cupboards meant there was plenty of room for everyone's food items. The hostel staff even brought in such things as watermelon and eggs for the guests to use. Free use of a computer, too. The staff members were very nice and helpful. It's a very short and easy walk to Lithia Park, Shakespeare Festival venue and downtown. Parking is VERY tight (3 spaces) but I parked on the street and the car was safe.

I would probably stay here again for a one or two night stay, but I'm not sure I'd splurge for a private room again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank 10sTraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Washington State
Reviewed 11 August 2011

charming older home right on the edge of town - walk everywhere - make
yourself at home. clean and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank MKristin
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I recommend this hostel wholeheartedly! This is the best hostel that I have ever stayed in, either in Europe or the USA. The owner, Marilyn, is a great hostess. The place is spotless. The kitchen is large and well equipped. There is enough hot water to take a good, long hot shower. It is within walking distance to Lithia Park and the Shakespeare Festival and all the other plays. There is a laundry room available for guests to use.
In short, this is the place to stay if you are going to Ashland.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank fairtraveler12
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Bad atmosphere! This place was full of old men. Hostels are for college age people, not old men. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011
4 Thank Nicholas_2207
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 10 February 2011

This hostel is in a really nice, clean, well kept house. It is pricey for a single, but well located, as it takes only minutes to walk downtown. The linens were clean, but didn't smell like perfumed detergent, which I appreciate. The bed I was given first was so uncomfortable that I couldn't sleep, but I moved to another one that was nice. During my stay, I saw four staff. Two were nice, but I wouldn't call them hospitable, just cordial. However, the other two were not at all friendly, avoided eye contact, and acted very uncomfortable talking to the guests. In a hostel being cordial is fine, but being awkward and unfriendly is just inexcusable. A large part of staying at a hostel is the social experience, which they took away from.

There is a no-alcohol policy, which I think is absurd. There are only two common use toilets, which is strange at a hostel. Also, I just found out on the website that there is a recreation room, which wasn't included in my welcome tour. Weird. The website states that: "The Ashland Hostel offers four room styles to suit each type of traveler." It tries to be so many things that it fails to provide a true hostel experience. I wouldn't say I had a bad experience at all, but it wasn't much more than a bed in a nice house, either.

A side note for travelers: The area around Ashland has some nice recreation, but the town itself is so dull that on a Saturday night the bars downtown are empty. The culture is this: wealthy self-entitled westerners who take classes so they can learn how to make and sell art, generic college students, and few others. If you want a cool place that also has art and recreation, visit Portland, San Francisco, anywhere but here!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GaylordONE
New Mexico
Reviewed 28 August 2010

Nice clean place, about HALF the price of other HOTELS in the area. Remember: This is a "HOSTEL" not a hotel.
You will like this place if: you are on a student budget; you are a young, solo (male or female) traveler and want a VERY safe, supervised atmosphere; you understand that you'll be sharing the kitchen with others and sometimes others don't clean up after themselves and this does not bother you too much. You want to try something a little different.
You may not like this place if: you want a big parking lot to park your vehicle, right on the property (there is PLENTY of VERY safe on-street parking within sight of your bedroom window); you don't like sharing bathrooms with other guests (some room share a bath, but the Family Room we stayed in had a nice efficient private bath); you don't like giving out all kinds of personal information (for identity security reasons) when you check in - ask the check-in receptionist if you can avoid providing some of the information. They let me withhold lots of stuff I did not want to release to their system that I felt was penetrable. You don't want to remove all your bedding and towels yourself and put them in the hamper upon departure (which is how you do it - and it only takes a minute or two - no big deal).
PROS: You are RIGHT downtown, in the middle of EVERYTHING. Park the car when you check in, and you won't need to use it until you leave. Walk to the Shakespeare Festival, Music shows, or anything else going on. The rooms were really clean. I had my UV light with me and there were NO stains, NO smudges, NO bugs and NO bedbugs. The FAMILY ROOM was a VERY clean room (and cleaner than my own home).
CONS: Despite Marilyn's signs all over the spectacular professional-grade kitchen, askig guest to clean up, put stuff away, and don't make a mess, the creep who used the kitchen just before me left his mess everywhere. Grin and move on. The fire escape path for the second floor is right through the FAMILY ROOM. Oh boy. The Fire Marshall prohibits a lock on the door to the room. So you cannot lock the room when you leave. Solution: They give you a key to a locking walk-in closet where you can put your backpacks, clothes, and other stuff: OK- this worked just fine. Portable air conditioning kept room nice and cool on a 98-degree summer day. Last, unlike a hotel where the atmosphere is "host serving guest" the atmosphere here is more like "parents keeping an eye on the children (us guests)." I guess with unescorted teenage guests they had to increase the level of supervision, make lots of rules, and increase the amount of personal information you must provide at check-in. It's a little off-putting, but I bet they've had bad experiences that forced them to take the "stern parent" approach.
I'd probably go there again (if they'd have me). It's funky, inexpensive, very clean, very safe, and oh, so convenient to everything in Ashland. So, if you want to try something a little different, and a little quirky, try the Ashland Hostel. Bon voyage!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
8 Thank KinBineola
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 14 August 2010

I stayed there one night on my way through Ashland. I had lived in Ashland and had driven by the hostel and wasn't impressed but I'm so glad I ended up staying there. The place is gorgeous inside, one of the most beautiful houses I've stayed in. It was my birthday too. The rest of my short stay I stayed at a friend's home.
I have travelled for business so much that I never make reservations. I prefer to see first-hand if the hotel is safe, secure, etc. before I plunk my money down.
I think the price was aprox $25 or $27 per night. The manager leaves in the evening so we had the house to ourselves. It was nice going to the comfy livingroom and reading before bed. It's a beautiful place. Parking was limited in the back area and there are stairs from the parking area to the back door kitchen and also stairs to the dorm rooms. They have a couple private rooms which I got to see, a couple downstairs and a couple upstairs, all really nice. Everything is cute cute cute. Some children stayed there also. The manager was really nice. I made tea in the morning, nice kitchen. Checkout was 10am which is a bit early - would have liked to stay and enjoy the place longer. Sweet place, don't miss it if you visit Ashland!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business