“It felt like home...but better!”
Review of Ashland Hostel

Ashland Hostel
Ashland Hostel
Reviewed 7 December 2009

I have stayed in many hostels in Europe, and although 72, I can survive in most any conditions when I'd rather spend my money on adventure, but definitely enjoy a few niceties and comforts. I don't feel comfortable when there are service people whose livelihoods depend on changing my sheets every day and putting chocolates on my pillow. But this wonderful Ashland Hostel had an incredible kitchen and was more comfortable, clean, quiet and friendly than any expensive accomodations I have ever had. The management was helpful in every way, from bandaid for my blister to specific directions to everything I needed.
I certainly hope many more will avail themselves of this pleasure.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank bsybdy

Reviewed 13 November 2009

I've stayed a couple of times. The house itself is attractive, especially the common areas. However, the manager lives there and has really taken over the common areas. It felt like I was putting him out each time I stayed, and that he'd rather have the place to himself.

Hostels I've stayed at in Portland and San Diego have much friendlier vibes.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Footloosewomen
Reviewed 26 October 2009

The Ashland Hostel is centrally located and all around a fabulous deal. The service was outstanding - friendly, generous, and not overbearing. They went out of their way to orient me, transport me, and make my stay pleasurable. The place itself is tasteful, clean, and very comfortable. One night fifty teenagers arrived for the Shakespeare Festival, and yet it was so well-managed, that I still slept soundly and wasn't in the least perturbed. I felt lucky to have chosen it!

Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank AJeanK
Reviewed 5 October 2009

This hostel was very nice - different from many that I've stayed in. It has a very home like atmosphere so I imagine it might be a good hostel for people who are trying hosteling for the first time. The staff was very nice and everything was clean and well kept. The bathroom situation was a bit strange - there was a room with a toilet in a stall and 2 stall showers- If not for the 2 shower stalls I would assume it was a single user bath, but the extra shower and stall toilet made it seem more public. Not an issue when I was there, but if it was crowded it could be. My only complaint was that my private room was very cold - especially after sitting in the cold for 3 hours at the Shakespeare festival. Otherwise a lovely spot and very close to everything.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 May 2009

Would recommend, kitchen a bit small. Relatively new owner, down to earth. Grat location, virtually empty this weekend. Come to Ashland

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 October 2008

Myself and my partner came here for a night on our way from San Francisco to Portland. The location is good, an easy walk to the park and restaurants. The hostel was nearly deserted, it was just us and two long term tenants (a feature of US hostels that has turned me off staying in them: in the quiet seasons they tend to turn into flophouses for single men with problems, be they work related, marital etc. Gives the place a creepy feel). The manager is eccentric to say the least, but keeps the place in good order.

We stayed in a private room, which had a shared bathroom. What I didn't like was that our room had a connecting door to the managers bedroom/office (lockable from our side though). It was bit much.

The kitchen was good, though the fridge hadn't been cleaned out for a little while. Parking is very limited, though there seems to be plenty of on street parking around.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 4 September 2008

Has recently been updated. Great family atmosphere, nice places to relax and an easy walk to all the great things going on in Ashland. It was fun to talk with the PCT hikers who were staying there, really great people.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)