“we keep going back”
Review of Columbia Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashland
Columbia Hotel
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Clinton, Washington
“we keep going back”
Reviewed 1 October 2011

The Columbia is well located on the main street with wonderful character and personality. The staff is welcoming and friendly and the facilities are quite comfortable and always clean. No need to have a car, but enough parking behind the hotel if you brought it. The upgrades in recent years have enhanced the comfortable stay. Though the bathrooms are down the hall...it isn't far and the facilities are ample. If you need a TV or refrigerator in your room, you probably aren't the type that would enjoy the hotel....which is fine with those of us who do because we'll relish the atmosphere, and you really don't fit in anyway.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I have been staying at the Columbia Hotel since 1977 when it was still a residence hotel, allowing guests only during the summer. I have watched the Columbia grow in charm and amenities. The convenience absolutely cannot be beat. As a non- driving play goer the locale is ideal. The management has always been most accommodating and I love the fresh flowers. A bonus is the absence of TVs and phones in the rooms. I am looking forward to many, many more stays at the Columbia.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I stayed at the Columbia Hotel for a single night in route from Los Angeles to Portland, Oregon. The hotel couldn't be more perfectly situated amidst great dining, theater, yoga, and beautiful little walking tours. Plus, the service was wonderful and amenities quaint and clean.
Perfect for the traveler wanting to get a feel for the area...

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I discovered The Columbia Hotel about 5 years ago just walking around Ashland and now it is the only place I stay when I go on my annual trip. It is centrally located to cafes, restaurants and most importantly the plays. While the Columbia Hotel may not be for everyone, it's clean and the staff are really nice.The Columbia Hotel reminds me of an old western hotel; it's not a fancy place, but it has a homey, comfortable feel that you don't get at apartment style hotels. It does have wifi.! It's a great place, I love it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 30 September 2011

For the past few years, I've driven 300 miles three times a year to see plays here. And while I try B&B's every now and then, I ALWAYS come back to The Columbia Hotel. I love that I can park my car for the weekend and walk everywhere. Since The Columbia Hotel is so centrally located, and only a block away from theaters, staying here allows me to be "fully submerged" in the community and shops. Plus, the old-fashioned "bathrooms/showers down the hall" work well for me since there's a sink & mirror in my room for make-up in the mornings, and teeth brushing/face washing at night. As a single traveler, I prefer The Columbia Hotel over all other Ashland lodgings. Perhaps the entry stairs and walking to plays aren't for every traveler, but if you long for the days when people talked to strangers, shared coffee and newspapers in the comfy lobby area in the mornings, or shared restaurant tips in the halls, then you will love The Columbia Hotel. No phones or TVs allow us to read, relax, and/or connect with each other. Their old-world, Victorian charm reminds me of other hotels in Spain or Italy. Rooms are very clean, and they've done a good job in updating beds. I always get top-notch service and great advice from staff, and the cleaning gals always find what I need (which is never much since linens, soaps, cups, etc. are provided in each room). I appreciate their morning coffee, and love coming back from late night plays to enjoy a cup of tea. Fresh flowers in my room always make it special, & the ample pillows and bedding offer even more comfort. I can stay in cookie-cutter hotels in any city I travel to. But it's not often I get the chance to experience an old-fashioned treat like The Columbia Hotel. Thanks staff & crew of The Columbia. Look forward to seeing you all again next season!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 September 2011

The Columbia may not be for everyone but I love it. Its a historic building that hasn't given in to modernization that would strip it of its unique charm. With this comes some things that may annoy travelers who are used to sterile chain hotels. I typically book a small room with shared bath and just go with the flow. My last stay was during a warm spell but my A/C-less room was totally comfortable. What sets The Columbia apart is its charm, excellent customer service, attention to detail and its outstanding location. Just a block and a half to the theaters and right above Main Street shopping. I

love it here but I may be a different traveler than others. it all dpends on what your needs are and for me, The Columbia is just right.

• Stayed August 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 29 September 2011

If you are looking for fancy and new, don't bother, but if you are looking for charming and rustic, as well as a prime location look no further. Though the toilets are down the hall, the wonderful central lounge just makes the place a wonderful place to hang out between theatre productions. The staff is friendly, and the place is clean. For the price line this is a great place to stay. Only needed improvement is better quality or newer towels.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple