“Great value. Wonderful location”
Review of Columbia Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashland
Columbia Hotel
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bowmore, United Kingdom
“Great value. Wonderful location”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

The Columbia Hotel is my first choice of a place to stay in Ashland. I've been going down to the Shakespeare festival for years and have stayed at various spots during that time. Once I found the Columbia, I don't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: I like staying in the rooms that face the street. There is a bit more noise, but the views of the t...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Davis, California
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We have been staying at the Columbia for more than 20 years. It is always a pleasant
and relaxing experience, the rooms are comfortable and quiet, the short distance to the
theaters is very convenient in particular when it is raining. The addition of free WiFi and
tea and coffee during the daytime are great features appreciated by the whole family.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank wolfgang k
Olten, Switzerland
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I have stayed here a couple times and I really like it. The staff are all super friendly, the interior is beautiful, the location is ideal and it is even inexpensive to boot. You can't ask for anything more.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Aaron H
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 12 December 2013

A "snowbird" friend and I, driving from Portland to Lake Havasu City, AZ, decided to spend our first night in Ashland and I suggested the Columbia, based on previous stays there and location. We were both charmed. We intentionally opted for a bathroom-less room, but recognize that this wouldn't work for everyone and that, as we were there after the Shakespeare season, the waits were nonexistent (which probably would not be the case in the midst of the "season!") Also, from previous stays, I know there is no A/C, which would be a consideration the summer.

The young man working the desk was extremely helpful - making sure we were comfortable, and later making dinner reservations for us at my favourite Ashland dining spot, Thai Pepper. When we accidentally locked ourselves out of the room, he was prompt in letting us back in!

We enjoyed the lounge for reading and computer work - the wi fi was excellent! I appreciate hotels with "character," far more than cookie cutter perfection with en suite accommodations, so will almost certainly return.

Room Tip: We were in Room 7, what they call a "double classic." Overlooks the street, but down the...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Step back in time - with great wifi connection. Who cares that there is no tv, immerse yourself in a little time travel, or open up your computer! An early December trip to Ashland, found us in the off season, and we were treated to an amazing holiday adventure. Arriving just after sunset, we found the front door in the middle of downtown. It is very discreet, no big hotel front, just a door and awning in the middle of the block. Opening the door was a little like stepping through to "the Lion, the Witch,and the Wardrobe". Of the same era, we opened the door to a cascade of wooden stairs adorned with poinsettias, and crowned by a 100-year plus hotel desk. Luckily, the back of the hotel has parking, and a shorter set of stairs.

We opted for a room with a bathroom, complete with a claw-foot tub. Most of the rooms have a sink, but the commode and shower require a little trip down the hall - you may want to bring your bathrobe. Our room had a comfortable queen size bed, a day bed, a large bathroom, and a beautiful view of the street below and the mountains beyond.(room 6). The lobby was decorated for the holidays, comfortable and a wonderful place to sit, work on your computer, drink tea, visit, snoop through the unoccupied rooms, or read.

The wifi experience is very welcoming and easy to bring up, though if you're not active on it, it times out fairly quickly. Just log back in. It tells you who is at the front desk. Staff at the front desk were marvelous, accomodating and they love working there - imagine that. They knew the area, and were good at suggesting local eateries, gave us directions and were charming.

I am sure that staying there is great any time, but we were there during an unusual snowstorm, and this event marked our trip with an extra kind of magic.

Room Tip: If you are good with shared bathrooms, you can save a peso or two, and enjoy very nice experience...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rvr2mtn
Burney,Ca
Reviewed 30 November 2013

First off, Ashland is one of our favorite places to visit. I just wish it wasn't so expensive during the busy season, Shakespeare season. We've gone to a play before, but it's hard to believe that so many people are willing to pay the crazy high room rates. We enjoy the great food and shopping more than the plays, so we usually go during the winter. This trip was planned aroung the Christmas parade and downtown lighting ceremony. Both of which are great. Sorry for the rant, back to the review.
I gave the Columbia a 4 not because it's a 4 star hotel, it definitely is not. It's an old historic hotel with a great location right on main street, close to all the action. It has very friendly people working the front desk and has a lot of charm. It was already decorated for Christmas and looked very charming.
The odd thing about the Columbia is the bathroom situation. The room we booked was the courtyard suite I believe. The main reason is that it had it's own bathroom. Traveling with a wife and daughter who both spend some time in the bathroom, I felt it was important. Here's the funny thing though, the rooms without bathrooms, especially the ones facing Main St. are beautiful. I makes you want that room instead, except that you have to share facilities with the other guests who are in the same situation.
Also, the lobby/lounge area is right outside some of the rooms (ours) and can be rather noisy. Not only could we hear peoples conversations, we could hear the person at the front desk moving in their chair. If you're a light sleeper, you may want to book a room away from that area.
There is no breakfast included, so factor that in. I just drove south a little bit to Safeway and picked up some breakfast rolls and drinks. So it wasn't a huge deal. There is also a few restaurants nearby who serve breakfast, but after a big lunch and dinner the day before, we decided to go light.
So in conclusion, if you want to stay right on Main St., you don't mind an older historic building and all that goes along with that. Give the Columbia a try. You'll also save some money over most of the other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs, you might want to stay elsewhere. It's not terrible coming in f...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cory H
Oakland, California
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I loved this place. It's so quaint, and comfortable . .sooo Ashland! I had actually considered camping at Emmigrant Lake, (which I do often), but for November, my friend suggested we splurge and sleep indoors. Our room had two super comfortable queen beds, a huge closet, big window overlooking Main St., and a big over stuffed chair. We were down the hall from the bathroom . .and it worked out fine! Hot tea or coffee was always available in the comfy lobby.

Part of it's quaintness is, it's not perfect. For example, I arrived on a Saturday afternoon, and had to find street parking. And since I'd never been there before, I first entered from Main St., saw the huge flight of stairs . .and knew there had to be a better way, up around the corner. (I was right!)

The downtown location is incredible. Our rate went down starting Sunday night . .and I may go back during the off-season . .just because the rooms are so affordable.

Room Tip: Our room was down the hall from the bathroom . .good for not hearing the door open and close, but it...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends