“Hot but close to Shakespeare!”
Review of Columbia Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashland
Columbia Hotel
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 October 2010

I had seen reviews that mentioned that this hotel did not have airconditioning. I thought my husband and I were tough and we could handle it. I have never been that hot in my entire life!
Although the temperature was uncomfortable, the hotel itself was great. Our room was clean and inviting. The lobby had fresh coffee and tea every morning. The communal bathrooms were very clean. Get there early or there won't be a parking spot at the hotel!
The best feature of this hotel is that is is a short 5 minute walk to the Shakespeare festival!

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank smalltownoregongirl

Reviewed 25 September 2010

This hotel is in a neat old building and the staff is very nice. But, I wouldn't recommend it. Bathrooms and showers down the hall are fine, but having a strange coed bathroom with a short wall in between and only one shower per gender for the whole hotel was not quite what I expected. But the cout d'etat was hearing the trash trucks and dumping of recycling in the wee hours. If I want that, I'll stay at home for free (I live in a busy urban area). When I go on vacation, I do not want to be woken up to the sound of crashing glass bottles.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PackSnacks
inventure, Manager at Columbia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2011

The shared bathrooms which you described don't match the facilities that we offer guests staying in rooms with facilities down the hall. We have twice the number of showers, and no such coed facility with a half-wall. Stop by for a full tour next time you're in town, and a staff member will take you around and introduce you to the building.

Reviewed 21 September 2010

The Columbia Hotel has been around for well over a hundred years and is perfectly situated a block or 2 from the festival theaters and close to many great restaurants and to wonderful Lithia Park. The rooms are charming in a shabby sort of way w/ fresh flowers, antiquish furnishings and relatively comfortable beds. Bathrooms are mostly shared with a few rooms that have private baths. the place is clean and the bathrooms and shower areas are close, clean and just fine.
Ashland is a pricey town w/ a lot of tourism with the Shakespeare Festival and the beautiful surroundings so hotel rooms are understandably somewhat expensive. The rooms at the Columbia tho are priced way too high with the range from 90 to 125 per night. They are not worth it! No TV or in room phones (which is OK w/ me!). Bathrooms down the hall! (again OK) but NOT at 104 per night. should be maybe 60 dollars.
The staff is very nice and the Columbia is a great old tho fading flower and is a fine ashland option but does not represent good value.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2010

OK...this place isn't cheap for the accomodations, I can deal with that for the location.

I CANNOT deal with NO hot water for the showers at 7:15 in the morning.

Also shared bathrooms, though clean looking ... "SMELL"...bad enough to make me want to vomit.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank 8ocho
inventure, General Manager at Columbia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Thank you for your candid review. Occasionally in the past, hot water for showers could take a moment to catch up with demand if we had a large group all attending a morning function, and thus showering in quick succession. That was remedied when we completely redid the plumbing last winter, and we invite you to try us again.

Reviewed 31 August 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at this convenient, charming vintage hotel located near so many of the things you go to visit in Ashland and only a few blocks from the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. I felt immediately welcomed and at home when we arrived. Our room, "the Innkeepers Suite" was spacious, quiet and comfortable. I don't normally sleep well in a new place, especially at most hotels. However, I slept peacefully both Saturday and Sunday night of our stay. I was a little concerned about a "shared" bath, but was pleasantly surprized by the multiple clean, well stocked and abundant types of bathrroms available. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone looking for a great experience.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank jjenson
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Nice old hotel, great location, but don't even think of staying here in July and August unless you can get your full night of sleep between 6:00 am and 7:00 am. Ashland is hot in the summer, near triple digits, and this place has NO airconditioning. Stay somewhere else or come in the Spring and Fall. It would be a great place then. Parking is non existant.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2010

We stayed 2 nights at the Columbia Inn for the Memorial Day weekend. It is a nice B&B with some good features I will list here:

Pros:
- We stayed in room 5 upstairs (the Columbia Queen room). It has a queen bed and a trundle twin day bed. Very nice viws of Main St and the hills in the background.
--Nice claw foot tub in room, but no shower (showers are down the hall)
- FABULOUS location, right in the center of Main St downtown, easy to walk everywhere
- Very nice staff, helpful and attentive with resturant and activity recommendations
- Comfortable room overall

Cons:
- Very thin walls, could hear others talking, snoring, etc.
- Showers are down the hall (for many rooms)
- In suite bathroom was very dated- ugly linoleum floor, brown rust stains in the sink and toilet, peeling paint and wallpaper, etc.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple