“Top of the list in Ashland”

Peerless Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Peerless Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 155 Restaurants in Ashland
Price range: US$13 - US$35
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between "A" & "B" Street
Description: Located in the heart of Ashland's Historic Railroad & Gallery District, The Peerless is a lively sophisticated neighborhood restaurant & bar (located next to our historic six-room luxury inn "The Peerless Hotel") . The Peerless can be experienced in our relaxing dining room, friendly & intimate bar (Happy Hour from 5-6:00 Tues-Sat)or alfresco in our enchanting gardens. Our dinner menu features an array of small plates, as well as steaks, seafood and vegetarian entrees that capture the favors of the seasons and essence of the Pacific Northwest. Our extensive wine list showcases the best of Southern Oregon, the Willamette Valley, Washington and California as well as selections from classic old world wine regions. The Peerless approach to dining offers you a wonderful opportunity to celebrate fine wines, delectable food and good conversation in a warm and relaxing atmosphere.
Santa Barbara, California
“Top of the list in Ashland”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We have had several meals at the Peerless, and we have been happy with the service and the choices. My wife and relatives had a halibut dish that was really excellent. We have fish all the time and know the difference. We had very good service, Prices slightly on the high side, but not excessive.

• Visited April 2014
Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing tapa's”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

All of the tapa's we tried we're outstanding. They did not get my drink request correct twice, but we're very apologetic about it, and took it off the bill.
Overall a good experience for a date night.

• Visited November 2013
Medford, Oregon
“Horrible changes, can't recommend! Expensive plain food.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

This expensive restraunt with lovely ambience has been my all-time food favorite as well. Until last night. The menu has drastically changed: burgers, steak, chicken. Boring salads and sides that you could get at a chain cafe, but still expensive. The beauty of the food here in the past was that it was artful, unique, fresh; now it is boring at best. I can get a burger in Medford where I live without driving to Ashland!! After I finally settled on a small plate steak the server said they were out (at 6 PM); my second choice, also out. She said there was a large party. I ordered a cheese plate that had salami from the grocery, some dry meats, not tasty and a huge slab of horrible cheese. My entree was a duck salad that I could have made at home and the duck was dry and gamey. The service was slow, no hostess (home sick, they said). High price. I won't return.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank TravelinGranny541
Peerlesson4th, Owner at Peerless Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
I am very sorry that you had an unpleasant experience. Thank you very much for speaking personally with me today. I hope you will join us again.
Grants Pass, Oregon, United States
“Great food, slow service, a bit overpriced.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

I rated this restaurant as average due to the slow service and high prices. It is not my usual style but I will lead with the bad. Dinner for two was $135 not including the tip and we only had one glass of wine each. So with a bottle of wine it would likely be $150.00 to $165.00. Dinner for two at a top restaurant in this area typically runs in the neighborhood of $110 to $125 depending on the wine. In Southern Oregon that is an expensive dinner and everything should be absolutely first rate, across the board, without any gaps.

We appeared for a late dinner. Our reservations were for 8:00. We were seated in the back of the restaurant and it appeared to be at about 80% of capacity. We waited over 15 minutes before being approached by any waitstaff. I was surprised and in retrospect would have expected the hostess to offer water under these circumstances. When the waiter showed up he poured water and left which was disappointing. Due to the long wait we were ready to hear the specials and order. We were informed of the specials and ordered our dinner and a glass of wine each. I ordered the prime rib special and my wife ordered a steak. Everything was more or less ala carte so I also ordered a soup and my wife a small salad. It was 25 minutes before we saw our waiter again and he only appeared to tell us it would be a while longer. In a restaurant of the type that Peerless is attempting to be this was unacceptable and really just being inattentive. He stated the kitchen was backed up. ??? not sure by what as nearly everyone around us was finishing up and leaving. Ultimately it was just a hair under forty five minutes between ordering and getting any food. Maybe he forgot we had a soup and a salad which would have been wonderful to fill some of that time.

45 MINUTES FROM ORDERING TO GETTING SALAD.

As an aside and in case management reads this: I believe the restaurant should serve bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar as a starter. Maybe they do and our waiter just blew it.

In a restaurant such as this I would expect the waiter to be constantly watching the water and/or drink glasses and present in a very formal manner. We had stopped off before dinner for a drink and an hors doeuvre's so we only had the single glass of wine each. Otherwise I may have had to wander the restaurant in search of some waitstaff.

Now the positive aspects of the restaurant. They offer typical high end restaurant fare. Steaks, lamb, salmon, halibut, chicken and a pasta dish or two.

My soup was a french onion and I would rate that at very good (everything else was excellent). The aged New York that my wife ordered ($46.50) was cooked as she ordered and was excellent. I didn't care for the bleu cheese crumbles on top but that is my personal taste. It was as good as any steak I have had. I had prime rib ($42.00) which was served on a bed of mashed potatoes. I would have preferred a baked potato but this was the special and it comes as offered. It was also excellent.

They had good coffee although it was quite some time after I had completely finished my dinner that our waiter came back to check on us (maybe it wasn't just the kitchen).

I should note that the waiter appeared experienced enough and knew the menu so it was clear he was not new to the job.

We were out of the restaurant at about 10:15.

Overall the food was great and the atmosphere very nice. The extremely poor service and the high prices took too much away from the experience. This restaurant has potential but the owners need to go drill sergeant on the waitstaff and get them to be more disciplined or go back to waiting tables at Elmers where we expect bad service. I also believe at the prices being charged the dinner should at least be a two course affair AND come with at least a bread starter. Maybe with oil, vinegar and a couple fancy olives as a garnish on the oil and vinegar plate. Otherwise they need to knock about 25% off the entre prices. Good food good prices and bad service is OK. Good food good service bad prices are OK. Good Food BAD SERVICE high prices . . . NOT OK.

Hopefully Peerless is a work in progress because it truly does have the potential of being one of the very best restaurants anywhere.

• Visited February 2014
Peerlesson4th, Owner at Peerless Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Matthew G.,

Thank you for your review. I do read the reviews and I do value your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your meal, but I am very sorry that the service did not live up to your expectations. Your review will be shared with our dining room staff and I hope that you will join us again.

Crissy Barnett
Owner
Ashland, Oregon
“Smal Bites with style”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

This restautant is on a side street in Ashland so it it is easy to park. It has a warm and welcoming bar area where small bites are served as well as a dining room with a fireplace. The small bites are quite varied and easily make a meal. Like old time chinese restaurants you can share plates. Options change and prices vary.You might get special meatballs, a generous amount , a garnet sweet potato or go for a filet minon mini meal. There is a happy hour and a good selection of bar drinks , cocktails and wines.A nice place with visit before a play or a quick get together with friends.

• Visited December 2013

Been to Peerless Restaurant & Bar? Share your experiences!