“Closed!”

Boulton & Son
Ashland, Oregon
“Closed!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

Closed. Gone. Space occupied by a new (different) shop. There was an announcement about a new shop called Jefferson Pie, but that apparently never materialized. Too bad, loved their bacon and charcuterie.

Visited December 2013

San Diego
“True Charcuterie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

When we travel we like to eat as many simple out-of-the-cooler meals as possible. But we also like to eat well. This gourmet butcher fit us perfectly. We were able to sample many of their high quality products and came away fully stocked. Michael made some excellent recommendations and we rounded out our shopping with fresh produce at the Co-op. This isn't a deli, although they make beautiful sandwiches. This is a charcuterie of wonderful caliber.

• Visited August 2013
San Francisco, California
“Boulton & Son - An Ashland Treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

The greatest joy for me when I travel is to explore on my own without any preconceived notions. That is how I happened upon Boulton & Son in Ashland Oregon. During a 12 hour blitz from Portland to San Francisco we decided to take a break in Ashland (yes it is on my bucket list) and parked around the corner from Tabu restaurant. We moseyed up Main Street in search of food for the dog who had gone on a food strike that morning. Stopped in the first deli but left quickly.

As we took in the charming shops I noticed a sign for a butcher shop up ahead. I decided to check it out and discovered this charming meat emporium Boulton & Son. Next time I am bringing a cooler chest so I can load up here. The shop was impeccable and the offerings many. Not only did the dog flip for their roast beef but we discovered their spectacular sandwiches. I had the best BLT in my life here. Everything was home made so to speak from the wonderful ciabbta style role to the heirloom tomatoes/organic greens and of course the piece de resistance - the house made bacon. It was just divine.

Boulton & Son is a whole carcass butcher so they cut the meat in house, and do not just present meat that has been cut elsewhere and then bagged and boxed. They make, in house and by hand, the finest bacon, ham, a wide range of sausage, pastrami, corned beef.
Boulton & Son is also the original home of The Jefferson Pie Company and offer freshly made and baked daily hot meat pot pies (beef, chicken, and lamb) – all in an organic pastry with locally sourced seasonal vegetables.

There are some tables outside but no seating otherwise. In addition they offer pigs ears treats and chews for dogs. There is a nice assortment of wines from Oregon and other condiments for sale too. In addition they sell home made soup stock. How lucky Ashland is to have this wonderful merchant offering such high quality local meat.

• Visited August 2013