“Nope.”

Salame
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I get zero pleasure writing negative stuff, but sorry, Salame doesn't deliver.

The room is very nice and retro-mod with a warm, appealing atmosphere. The staff is naively helpful and earnest. But that's where it ends. We were a group of six, we began with cocktails. I had the "bruised blue" which was some vodka (*organic* of course, this is Ashland) with "olives stuffed with bleu cheese and shaken (bruised)." Ok, but the olives were two teeny kalamatas or similar with some bleu cheese pressed on them. I was expecting queen spanish with a serious helping of hand-stuffed bleu. You know, something you could sink your teeth into. My wife had a basil martini that was oddly sweet and tasted (sorry!) of grass clippings. She nearly sent it back.

We moved on to two cheese boards and one charcuterie board. Each was $14. The cheese board consisted of four tiny portions of cheeses commonly available at Costco and Rogue Creamery along with a handful of spiced pistachios and two dollops of fruit compotes, one red, one not, and a two or three slivers of toasted crusty bread that, (sorry!), tasted suspiciously like the baguettes from Trader Joes. The charcuterie board, (sorry!), seemed straight out of the Di Parma assortment from Trader Joes or Costco. Proscuitto, capocollo, utterly unremarkable salami and a fourth I didn't get to try. There was zero evidence this meat was anything other than store bought. I couldn't help but grumble at this place making bucks serving this whilst Boulton & Son Butchers who sold house-made hams goes out of business.

For dinner the four adults at the table ordered burgers. I asked for mine "as rare as you can legally serve it." The waitress knowingly asked "black and blue ok?" "Oh yes, perfect... i never know if people know what that means so i'm really glad you do." Ok... so.... here's the thing.... what i got was not even close. I'd charitably call it medium-well. But, to my chagrin, it still tasted fine with excellent juice, a nice spicy edge, and not overly fatty where the bread gets sodden and gluey. Clearly they get excellent meat. At $8 it was the highlight of the evening.

One of the two young folks with us had the meatballs which was served over mashed potatoes along with really nice sautéed string beans. I snuck some of his meal and it was very good. Exactly the thing i make for my wife at home if she's wanting comfort food.

Desert was some items imported from Mix (at a markup to be sure), the always popular coffee/snackery a few doors down the plaza. Whatever.

Bottom line, this was all totally average food, about as imaginative as a trip to Traders or Costco, and easily prepared at home for much less money and fuss. Had the bill been half what it was I might feel better, but i guess my wife and I are just not the target demographic. Won't be back.

3  Thank Jeremy S

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I don't use tripadvisor to choose restaurants. I talk to locals, research online, etc. the reviews of this restaurant that insinuate poor service or food have to be flukes. I have eaten at salame a dozen times and it's always phenomenal. Food is delicious and inventive. Atmosphere is wonderful. It's easily one of the best places in Ashland. Don't hesitate to try it.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

cocktails are inventive and tasty. The cheese board is worth coming in for alone. Everything is good here, try something new.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

From the moment I walked into Salame, I knew I was in for a treat. The interior is great! Exposed brick, large chalkboards with the daily selection of meats and cheeses and a nice layout of tables, stools and a bar. For my meal, I chose a combination of 3 items from the charcuterie board and 3 items from the cheese board. I paired these with a local pinot noir. The food presentation was spot on. Nicely arranged on a cutting board with generous portions of each item and included a selection of pears, nuts and mustards. The flavors, quality and overall experience absolutely exceeded my expectations. Top all this off with a very accommodating and personable waitstaff and I walked out on a beautiful fall afternoon thinking, WOW!! I will be back.....many times!

Reviewed 10 October 2013

You can sit outside right next to the creek and park - wonderful on a nice afternoon or evening; or sit inside in a pleasant bar/table area. Food was very good. I especially like the 3 cheese grilled sandwich. Had it once for lunch and once for dinner. It is very casual and a nice place to drop in for a meal.