“Fathers Day at Salame”

Salame
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Lets start with the good. I got to spend Fathers day with my wife and youngest daughter. Salame has outdoor seating along Ashland Creek, and when the weather is nice, as it was, this adds a great ambience. Though they were understaffed on the server side, we did not have to wait that long for either beverage or food service. Unfortunately, neither one of our servers could be coaxed to smile. I don't know about you, but I like a server who can at least pretend to like me. Ok, let's get to the food part. I ordered the barbequed pork ribs. At $17.95 I got 4 medium sized ribs, well done with a different kind of sauce that I couldn't quite figure out the seasonings. No hint of smoke, making me think these got their cooking in an oven. No slow cooked over wood coals barbeque here. I also got about two sides, which consisted of about 4 tablespoons of potato salad, and homemade coleslaw that was about as close to unseasoned cabbage as you could get. Boring. I won't comment on my girls dishes as I didn't eat them. What I will say is I felt a little let down for my $ 18.00 lunch. Average food at best at an above average price.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

With our 9 month old in toe, these folks made us feel at home quickly. Attentive service without pushy. Good food. No complaints.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

This place was totally renovated from the previous restaurant and now has a cool urban cowboy glam décor that is very appealing. The bruschettas are fantastic paired with excellent OR wines makes it a great place for wine and light fare. The entrees didn't interest me much though and I think some of the menu items need to be rethought. But I do recommend it and go there from time to time. I'm a local. :)

Reviewed 22 February 2014

I get zero pleasure writing negative stuff, but sorry, Salame doesn't deliver.

The room is very nice and retro-mod with a warm, appealing atmosphere. The staff is naively helpful and earnest. But that's where it ends. We were a group of six, we began with cocktails. I had the "bruised blue" which was some vodka (*organic* of course, this is Ashland) with "olives stuffed with bleu cheese and shaken (bruised)." Ok, but the olives were two teeny kalamatas or similar with some bleu cheese pressed on them. I was expecting queen spanish with a serious helping of hand-stuffed bleu. You know, something you could sink your teeth into. My wife had a basil martini that was oddly sweet and tasted (sorry!) of grass clippings. She nearly sent it back.

We moved on to two cheese boards and one charcuterie board. Each was $14. The cheese board consisted of four tiny portions of cheeses commonly available at Costco and Rogue Creamery along with a handful of spiced pistachios and two dollops of fruit compotes, one red, one not, and a two or three slivers of toasted crusty bread that, (sorry!), tasted suspiciously like the baguettes from Trader Joes. The charcuterie board, (sorry!), seemed straight out of the Di Parma assortment from Trader Joes or Costco. Proscuitto, capocollo, utterly unremarkable salami and a fourth I didn't get to try. There was zero evidence this meat was anything other than store bought. I couldn't help but grumble at this place making bucks serving this whilst Boulton & Son Butchers who sold house-made hams goes out of business.

For dinner the four adults at the table ordered burgers. I asked for mine "as rare as you can legally serve it." The waitress knowingly asked "black and blue ok?" "Oh yes, perfect... i never know if people know what that means so i'm really glad you do." Ok... so.... here's the thing.... what i got was not even close. I'd charitably call it medium-well. But, to my chagrin, it still tasted fine with excellent juice, a nice spicy edge, and not overly fatty where the bread gets sodden and gluey. Clearly they get excellent meat. At $8 it was the highlight of the evening.

One of the two young folks with us had the meatballs which was served over mashed potatoes along with really nice sautéed string beans. I snuck some of his meal and it was very good. Exactly the thing i make for my wife at home if she's wanting comfort food.

Desert was some items imported from Mix (at a markup to be sure), the always popular coffee/snackery a few doors down the plaza. Whatever.

Bottom line, this was all totally average food, about as imaginative as a trip to Traders or Costco, and easily prepared at home for much less money and fuss. Had the bill been half what it was I might feel better, but i guess my wife and I are just not the target demographic. Won't be back.

3  Thank Jeremy S
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I don't use tripadvisor to choose restaurants. I talk to locals, research online, etc. the reviews of this restaurant that insinuate poor service or food have to be flukes. I have eaten at salame a dozen times and it's always phenomenal. Food is delicious and inventive. Atmosphere is wonderful. It's easily one of the best places in Ashland. Don't hesitate to try it.