“Marvelous atmosphere and British pub food”

The Black Sheep Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #35 of 157 Restaurants in Ashland
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch
“Marvelous atmosphere and British pub food”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Very true to life replication of a British pub. Very relaxed atmosphere where you can have a pint, play darts, and enjoy lunch or dinner

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Kathy S

Medford, Oregon
“Terrible Service, mediocre food”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My husband and I stopped by The Black Sheep on a quiet afternoon a few years ago. It was relatively empty - one other table of people was just leaving. When we finally got the attention of a waitperson, we ordered something simple, like crumpets, tea and a beer. That's basically toast and two drinks.
After 15 minutes of waiting, we finally went to the bar and asked about our order. Apparently there was some kind of "confusion" about the order. The bartender seemed blase at best, that we were missing our tiny order, but finally someone arrived with it. "What would possibly make us return to this place?" my husband asked the bartender on our way out. He shrugged.
We never went back. There are plenty of better places to eat and drink in Ashland that actually care whether you're there or not.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Leanne Z
Medford, Oregon
“Rude Bartender and Owner- Handicap Discrimination-Will never return”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My husband and I went with friends for afternoon drinks and visiting several years ago. The website advertised a cozy, laid-back atmosphere to visit with friends. My husband is hearing impaired and loud background noise makes it impossible for him to carry on a conversation.The music was so loud none of us could hear what the others were saying. We politely asked our waiter to ask the bartender to turn down the music. He looked reluctant but did as we asked. The cocky bartender actually turned the music up. We were so insulted at the treatment that we left. I called the owner later and she said "Well, we like to maintain a certain atmosphere with the music" Really? How does an empty atmosphere sound? We have never been back.

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank Darkwingmanor1
Medford, Oregon
“Fresh and locally sourced meets British Pub”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We rolled into this place for lunch with my three young kids and my in-laws, one of whom is a British ex-Pat. The menu looked like it was straight out of a legit pub in the English countryside, the the extent that my 8 year old didn't recognize any of the food. In a good way. The space is the second floor of what looks like an old department store--enormous soaring windows looking out over the town. The atmosphere is super laid back, tables and lots of comfy couches, a fireplace, chess and checkers and tvs with--what else--premier league soccer. Lots of Anglophilia on the walls but not in a cheesy way at all. I was worried about the food, but it came out with a Southern Oregon farmer's market flair. The shepherd pie was deconstructed but my MIL raved about it. We loved it and will for sure be back.

The only down side--a giant flight of stairs to get up there and no elevator. My dad would love this place but he will never be able to get up the stairs.

• Visited April 2014
California
“Relaxing and Comfortable and Great Drinks!”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This pub is a favorite place to relax in downtown Ashland. The bar and drinks are excellent, food is decent pub grub, music nights are fun and bring people together and it's never overly crowded.

• Visited March 2014