“Absolutely outstanding - worth the beautiful drive!”
Review of The Open Range

The Open Range
Ranked #55 of 160 Restaurants in Ashland
Price range: US$8 - US$38
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: (Please note that we are currently closed for the winter. See you in the spring!) Take a thrilling mountain-road drive through the breath-taking vistas of the Siskiyou Cascade National Monument to a 1920's era roadhouse where a period-appropriate dining experience awaits you. Owners Donnie and Denise Rowlett are your server and cook for this unique experience.
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Now THIS is a restaurant anyone should be sure to visit. The PInehurst Inn is a beautiful old hotel, and this restaurant is really top notch. Lovely setting. Service is outstanding. Food is cooked to perfection and presented beautifully. From the appetizers, drinks, to the desserts, you won't be disappointed.

There are newer reviews for The Open Range

Reviewed 18 May 2014

An historic gem tucked in the mountains between Ashland and Klamath Falls...... go for the Joe Johnson cut of prime rib - by far the best we have ever had. Halibut was amazing as well. Relaxing atmosphere with the most incredibly personable owners and staff. Be sure to ask the owner to play you some something special on the piano. We didn't plan to stay overnight, but wish we would have. Can't wait to go back and take friends

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Although the drive to the Pinehurst Inn takes some time(45 minutes) from Ashland, it is a beautiful drive into the mountains and the trip back is even more spectacular, so don't hesitant because of the drive.

The food and service is fantastic. A friend and I had Lasagna the special, my wife had chicken picatta and we were served by the owner, as we were there on a Thursday in the spring at low season. Wines and drinks are reasonably priced and nice selection.

It is a beautiful rustic inn, and a great way to spend a late afternoon and evening dining. The menu has a special, and then other selections that would satisfy anyone's desire.

I hope to return soon.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

20 miles out of Ashland there is this historic old inn that happens to be one of the only places that has the best ratings in Southern Oregon on tripadvisor. My wife deserves a meal that is as good or better than her cooking and we tire of going to dinner and happen to show up when everyone is having "one of those days"..
We weren't disappointed and I should have planned ahead and stayed the night. It is a beautiful drive, the Inn is charming and the grounds are very serene and peaceful. Thanks to the hosts for their excellent food and service. I highly recommend it. K&J, Williams, Oregon

Reviewed 17 February 2014

3 years living in Ashland and we’d never been to the Pinehurst, so over a birthday/Valentine’s day long weekend we decided it was time. Since we now have a big dog we opted for Valentine’s dinner at The Pinehurst while staying 8 miles away at The Green Springs Inn & Dog-Friendly Cabins.

All the other reviews are 100% correct, The Pinehurst is a singular experience and is simply great. No TV, no internet, most of the rooms are small, and the music gently playing is straight out of 1920. The decor isn’t “B&B cute” like somebody was scavenging flea markets looking for quaint tchotchkes. The decor is as-it-was when the current owners acquired the place after a fresh coat of paint and some recent photos. The parlor is the kind of place you just want to sit, talk with people, sip scotch or bourbon, and stay for hours.

Owners Donnie and Denise do a fabulous job making guests feel comfortable without going over the top. The whole experience is clearly the result of two people doing what they love. The dinner menu is limited, but not in a bad way since everything on it is straightforward and tasty. We started with pan-fried ravioli served with a brown butter sauce. My entree was prime rib, my wife had halibut, both were good and the mango horseradish sauce with my meat was sinus-clearing-strong. Donnie noticed I’d cut much of the fat away from my nicely-sized prime rib and asked when clearing the table “package that up for your dog?”

“Uh, how’d you know we had a dog?”

“Nobody who doesn’t have a dog is that careful including just the right amount of meat along with the fat.”

That’s what I call service!

The only negative point, which caught me by surprise, was the wine list. They offer local wines, but only average selections and the bottle prices were high. We were glad to have brought our own wines (corkage $10) and opted for a carafe of their house red to round out the dinner. I plan to speak with my favorite Southern Oregon wineries and see about getting them on the list as an Agate Ridge Cab would have been a perfect pairing for the prime rib.

1  Thank Jeremy S

Been to The Open Range? Share your experiences!