“Perfect Location, and Amenities”
Review of DeLaunay House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ashland
DeLaunay House
Ranked #17 of 31 Ashland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We have stayed at Delaunay 3+ times now and have booked for next year. This is the PERFECT location to walk to the plays, the Ashland coop for groceries and morning paper and just about anywhere else in town. And for those who know Ashland’s parking situation, not losing your parking spot, once obtained, is a real asset! We have stayed in the smallest room- Peace Pilgrim which is being changed to be called Pioneer I understand. The bathroom is through the tiny kitchen, but as long as you like your partner/traveling companion the small space is kind of fun! There is AC which in August is sometimes an absolute necessity. We save money eating breakfast in- except one day at Breadboard- see my separate review on their sourdough pancakes! – And often also eat lunch in on restaurant dinner leftovers. We love to sit outside so the patio on this downstairs unit is a huge draw. We have been visited by raccoons and deer while enjoying a glass of wine after dark! The unit has had improvements each year we have come and the owner, Deborah, clearly cares about her house and guests.

Room Tip: The downstairs rooms have access directly to a patio
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 June 2012

Deborah has the most warm and sweet hospitality personality, which compliments this beautiful historical inn "Delaunay House" and we were honored/blessed to feel so much part of the inn as we also felt like family from the beginning of my phone calls to book a room to her making sure our say was comfortable when we arrived. Deborah mentioned several times if there was anything we needed or could do for us, she was a text or phone call away. She even gave us a tour of as much of the house as she could and share so many stories of "this old house" We also met Kim who was sweet as well as Deborah's daughter.
They were full of hospitality, yet, they disappear when not in need and were there if you need them.:) We didn't call upon them but her and Kim surprised me with beautiful home picked flowers in a beautiful vase. Not only did our daughter and son in law graduated that weekend at SOU it was my birthday and Father's day. So we were on the go and the location was perfect and the peacefulness of the Inn was a big plus for us.
Sure this is an old historical home so if things were not perfect but it was very adequate. The wireless internet worked without any problems. Yes, WiFi in a beautiful 1908 home was a blessing for us to communicate with our family members.
My husband & I stayed in the" Pioneer Suite" for three nights (June 14,15,16) It was lovely and roomy. Listening to the floor make creaking noise brought music to our ear because our old home does this as well and if only floors could talk. right? That's is just one of the beauties you will find along with antiques with stories of each one. I loved the lush deep velvet chair in our room. Our patio was not used but it had a peaceful feeling when our door was opened or as we passed by. It was great to have a private patio but the front porch with the rocking chairs oh how I wish I could have stayed and visit with our neighbors..I will reply to someones comment: Please don't fret about the little dust or cobwebs.. wipe them away or call Deborah, she would have came or someone else in a heartbeat, that was our experience. I could go on but must go now. With my daughter living in Ashland it is very possible I will visit the Inn again!

Room Tip: Come to Relax :)
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2012

My family and I stayed in the elegant yet inviting Harmony Suite and it was fabulous for 4 adults. We cooked up a storm to celebrate Father's Day, and the delightful owner, Deborah, even brought over an electric (and hand!) mixer so we could make a chocolate cream pie. The beautiful home is within walking distance of anywhere you would want to go in Ashland: 2 blocks to theatres, co-op, great restaurants, Lithia Park; within a half-mile of the Safeway, more restaurants, the library; under a mile to SOU with its incredible art museum. My 84-year old father had a fabulous time hanging out in one of the comfy rocking chairs on the front porch, chatting up anyone who walked by. While the house was fully booked while we were there on a busy SOU graduation weekend, we didn't hear any sounds from our neighbors and felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. While the ac was a single window unit in the dining area/queen futon part of the suite, it cooled us down quite comfortably. I have stayed pretty much everywhere there is to stay in Ashland: the Delaunay House is one of the best. I appreciate how Deborah doesn't nickle-and-dime guests with a cleaning fee, deposit, etc. We'll be back.

Room Tip: The Harmony Suite comfortably accommodates 4-5 people.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Location, location and location. My family from out of town enjoyed the warmth of the Delaunay House. The rooms are filled with beautiful antiques and beds are cozy.
Just TWO blocks from the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and downtown, they do have the best location. The harmony suite has a full kitchen which is useful and go ahead and enjoy the shaded wrap around deck with its comfortable rocking chairs.
I highly recommend The Delaunay House.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We stayed here & really regretted it. There are 40 watt lights in some
rooms but the front porch light was out & the hall light to the upstairs was
out & one of us nearly fell down in the dark navigating our way. No screens
in the downstairs apartment so we could not open the windows & it was full
of dust collecting nicknacks. The bedspread looked like it had not been
laundered in months & there was dust on the lamps & nicknacks throughout the
units. There was so much dust on a fan in the downstairs bathroom, that it
flew everywhere when I attempted to clean it w/ a brush. No vacuum
attachment found in the cleaning closet. I sneezed & coughed during my
whole stay!!! The futons in the rooms were old & uncomfortable but they
were counted as beds.

There were red velvet drapes in the unit that made it appear like a funeral parlor. Dark & depressing!

Room Tip: I would not recommend any rooms in this house.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank amandamaeSeattle
DeLaunayHouseMgr, Owner at DeLaunay House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

"Oh dear! I found the white twinkly lights and both bulbs in the
outdoor fixture loosened so the motion light would not work!! I am so
sorry I didn't catch that. I can only guess the previous guests
wanted the dark porch to star gaze.

Inside the large suite there are two 40 watt wall sconces for ambiance
and then 6 other lamps in the room that vary in output appropriate for
bedside, overhead and reading for a total of 8 lights.

As far as the dust, this comment did alert me to check the air filter because I know the housekeeper is conscientious.
I found it was early according to schedule,but I changed it out
anyway and called to see if I'm using the most efficient one.

As far as the bedding the comforter was just dry cleaned and all new
sheets and towels were purchased at the start of our season.

These historic houses don't come without quirks, direct communication is most welcome to be sure to correct anything and give us the opportunity to remedy
and make our guests stay the most comfortable and enjoyable!! Thank you.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

I read many of the reviews on TripAdvisor and I was shocked by what we found. One of the rooms we rented was a small twin bed with a trundle underneath. This "room" was actually the "kitcheny" area and if you moved the table and chairs as far to the wall as possible, there was almost enough room for the trundle, although no where to stand. The floor was dusty and dirty with small pieces of trash and bread crumbs. Above the bed, there were multiples cobwebs and spiders. I removed 4 before attempting to crawl in. When I tried to talk to the proprietor, I was met with defensiveness, rudeness and someone who would not listen. I would not recommend this place at all, which is too bad, as the location is pretty good.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank drh_4
DeLaunayHouseMgr, Owner at DeLaunay House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

I received a phone call from a gal saying the room she was in was misrepresented to her and did not like the trundle twin beds and the kitchenette as part of the room .I calmly listened to everything she said and told her i would have to speak with the person who reserved the room and go from there, at this she lost her temper and didn't want me to talk to him but only deal with her and went on to say other rude things about the room. I was confused because the reservation was made by a gentleman and although he told me there would be another person staying he did not say there would be 2 adults staying. He didn't want to pay the extra person charge for her to stay with them and said she was broke and he was just trying to help her out so I waived the extra person charge. When I called the reserved guest he said everything was fine they loved the room it was beautiful and they were very happy and that the woman was going through a very hard time and had some issues and that he would talk to her..Upon check out I spoke to him again and it came out that he was splitting the charge of room with her!...I told him .as to her disgruntle it should be with him not me...I also got the chance to tell him I felt manipulated because I waived the charge for him to help him and her out and he turns around with the intention to charge her!! With all the facts now it would be wonderful to talk to her and follow up but sadly, this is her choice of communication venue.
As to the room cleanliness quality it is she misrepresenting.
I personally checked the room before the guests arrived and make a concerted effort to check all details. I have a reputation for this special attention to detail and being very thorough.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

What an incredible spot to relax, enjoy all the amenities of Ashland just a few steps away! We always love to cook a meal, make our own coffee! Sit on the veranda & watch the town go by!
My family from Spokane came for Spring break...spent the week enjoying all comfort of the charming house. I have parked on Pioneer St. for years, I work at Hair City Salon 1 block away, I had no idea what a beautiful charming house was inside the inviting exterior!

Room Tip: We were blessed to stay in the Harmony Suite, it has a full kitchen!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family