“All Rooms Are Not Created Equal”
Review of Manor Motel

Manor Motel
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
California Bay Area
“All Rooms Are Not Created Equal”
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I've stayed at the Manor Motel several times over the past two years and have written highly positive reviews about them. This last stay however, things weren't so good, primarily because of the unit I stayed in, and so I'm suggesting travelers avoid #9. It is quite small and doesn't have the kitchenette some of the other units have. However, the room has a "tower" of appliances tucked in the corner - coffee maker, microwave, and refrigerator. Across the room is the TV and portable heater. Not one of these things was plugged in, so after arriving late at night, I had to literally get on my hands and knees trying to figure out which plug went to which appliance.

The main problem, however, was noise. I was awakened at 2:30 am by a conversation going on outside about 50 feet away. Then at about 5:30 am, continuous heavy street traffic began. I'm a light sleeper and use earplugs so neither of these things should have been a problem. And noise has never been a problem at this motel on past stays.

Also, while views are not really important to me when traveling, the bathroom in Unit 9 looks out onto garbage cans and a huge pile of discarded tires.

Finally, in term of value, rates at all Ashland motels/hotels go up during the peak season. But the Manor Motel's higher rates coupled with minimal sleep will make me explore other options on my Ashland stays.

Room Tip: Avoid unit 9! Try the units as far from the street as possible - and bring earplugs.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Footloosewomen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 7 June 2012

A delightful couple, Carly and Joe, make you feel right at home as you come into Ashland's "best kept secret" (well, now that we are raving at it, it might be the new "hot spot":)! Sweet little garden area, rooms that are varied in their features...some with a kitchen, others a sweet quaint view of the mountains (#8). Staying at the Manor (easy walking distance to downtown Ashland) is the way hotels used to be when i travelled as a child, with my U.S. Army dad and mom: you are treated as a true "guest", the managers will give you the moon and rooms and clean, well loved. As are we, the guests!!

Room Tip: #8 is small but the best view, #6 a lovely kitchen and nice breeze (no need for air conditioning...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank antoinettenora
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We were in Ashland to see plays. The Manor Motel was inexpensive, compared to all other options, and had very good reviews in TripAdvisor. It took us 15 minutes to walk to the Bowmer theater.

We were pleased with our experience. Unit 7 is on the end, and is the farthest away form the traffic on Main street. The queen bed was very comfortable, the most important thing about a room to me. Though this is a dated 1940's or so property, it has been well maintained. The decor is dated, but everything works and is kept very clean. We especially liked that the windows looked out on a little green, and they had screens so we could get a nice breeze. The door has a screen door as well, giving a more open feel to the room. The bathroom has a small shower (no tub) in this room. There is a small kitchen with a refrigerator and stove, microwave, toaster and coffee maker. There are enough utensils to make basic meals. We cooked out own breakfast here, saving us some additional money. We chose to eat at restaurants for dinner.

There are some old trees on the property and some outdoor chairs and tables in the back that are comfortable on a nice day. The staff is very friendly and accommodating.

You will not be disappointed. The only reason I did not give it a higher rating is that it is dated, and I don't want anyone to think they are getting into a modern room. That is to take nothing away from our pleasant experience. We enjoy places like this.

Room Tip: I did not see the other rooms, but unit 7 is on the end and the farthest from road noise.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank pkrissel
CA
Reviewed 27 May 2012

I stay here 3 times a year when I come to ejoy the plays of the OR Shakespeare Festival and the beauty and friendliness of Ashland. The Manor is a small, very well kept, jewel of a motel just a short walk from the Theatres and downtown. The rooms range from 1 double bed to a small 1 bedroom apt, and there are several kitchen units. All rooms have fridges. The managers are very helpful and friendly and the housekeeping staff is excellent. The Manor is a 1940's motor court with mature trees and a grassy area with chairs and picnic tables.

Room Tip: Because the motel is on a major street,therooms toward the back of the court are quieter, although t...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank KiaoraCa
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here, picking the motel both for the fact that it had a kitchenette (my husband is celiac, i.e. gluten-intolerant, and if we cannot find restaurants at which he can safely eat, we need to be able to make our own meals) and for sounding quiet. It was perfect: the cottage had a small outside seating area amidst flowers and trees in which to have morning coffee while reading; it was a short, easy walk to downtown Ashland; the motel staff offered help if it was needed, but otherwise was unobtrusive; the free wifi was easy to use; and it was indeed very peaceful. The rooms were small, but clean, and for the price the size (especially of the kitchen with a full stove and fridge, a microwave, and all the cooking utensils one might want) was more than reasonable. My only complaint was that a few of the lights, especially the bathroom light, had a cord that hung above my reach (I am a relatively short person), but it was easy enough to tie a string to the pull- cord to lengthen it.

Room Tip: We asked for the unit furthest from the highway, in order to ensure quiet. There was one morning wh...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank 545Lisa
CarlyStephenson, General Manager at Manor Motel, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Lisa,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We love hearing great feedback from our guests. We hope to see you again soon; remember, for reviewing us on Tripadvisor, you receive a 10% discount off of your next stay.

Also, thank you for the feedback regarding the bathroom light. We will fix the issue immediately, as we love to keep our guests happy!

Thanks again,

Carly Stephenson
California Bay Area
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I've stayed here four nights on four separate occasions and each time was a delight! Each unit is a little different and each has its own merits. Of the four I've stayed in, unit 7 is my favorite. It has a small kitchen, nice little bathroom and it's farthest from the road, so very quiet.

This 40s-style motel looks a little funky from the street, but it is absolutely charming. Rooms are clean, beds comfy and you can't beat the price.

A big plus is the on-site manager. Dealing with Marcia is like dealing with a friend. She really works to make sure your needs are met.

I usually travel alone and feel very comfortable and safe here. I hesitate to give the Manor Motel such a great rating because I'm afraid I'll never be able to get a room again, but this charming little establishment deserves all the business it can handle.

Room Tip: Ask the manager about what each unit offers. They're all a little different.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Footloosewomen
eugene
Reviewed 14 October 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights while attending plays at the Shakespeare Festival. We had a room with a small kitchen so were able to make our own breakfast and other meals on occasion, thus saving a lot of money and not getting weary of eating out. The motel was perfect for us - clean, within walking distance of the theaters, and with a management that seemed willing to do anything to please us. The price was about 1/2 of what a B & B would have cost. We'll be staying there again as we go to Ashland twice a year.

Room Tip: They have several types of rooms, so check before booking. They are in the process of updating the...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple