“Not one to remember”

Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
Seattle
“Not one to remember”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I had a rush of nostalgia when we first pulled up to the Manor Motel -- a 50's style motor inn, with a friendly representative at the front desk. Just the kind of place my parents would have taken me to when I was growing up.

But once we entered the room, the nostalgia died quickly. The carpet was filthy. There was a trash can full of someone else's garbage. The cups were unwashed. The wall paper and tile were peeling off the walls. And the shower -- let's just say I felt dirtier when I came out than when I first went in, with mold and mildew all over the floor and a shower that couldn't run hot and cold water together.

Mom wouldn't have put up with any of this. Maybe you shouldn't either.

Still, it's probably the cheapest place in Ashland within walking distance of the theater. And with a little more attention, I'm convinced it could really be a gem. But it's not there now...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TonyTonto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
sarasota
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

We love old fashioned "motor courts" and this one is perfect. It is close to the highway and to downtown Ashland. It is quaint and clean with a full kitchen and regular size coffee pot, not one of those one cuppers. We stayed in room 7 which might be due to having a pet There was no pet smell and i would pick this room again as it is on the end so more private. The only suggestion i would make would be to either get new bath towels or provide more than two skimpies. I can see we will be back to this place again

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Kate c
Chico, California
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed one night in number 10 in mid-July, 2013. Clean, comfortable and just what we needed after a long road trip as the last night. We were tired of traveling and just needed a place to spend the night before the last leg back to California. We were away from the road, so it wasn't noisy. I spent time in the little garden at the back just reading. Two couples were sharing dinner at the table and chairs. When I had no money for the maid, Steve, the manager, offered to cover it for me. Very kind. I remembered I had a check-book, so I was good. This is not fancy, but neither is it plastic. Everything worked. We were comfortable and on our way the next morning. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington State
Reviewed 29 June 2013

This is truly a vintage motel. We stayed in Room 1 for three days.
Upon checking in, we received a sheet of important information. It should be read.
The one thing that was "good to know" was that housekeeping does not come by automatically each day! Housekeeping is between 9 am and 3pm and unless you have your sign out requesting maid service hung on your door knob, you won't get housekeeping. I'm glad I caught that.

Room 1 is a two room suite and is good for families.
The Good - Wifi was wonderful in this room. The AC worked very well. There was a refrigerator and hot pot in good working order. The beds were firm, just the way I like them. They had extra blankets in the closet. The owners are nice and friendly. There is a great place to eat breakfast just two blocks away called the Breadboard. There is a park-like setting on the property that allows for some nice shade, relaxation, and neighborly chitchat. Lastly, someone previouly commented on the toilet handle getting stuck - well it must have been fixed because it worked just fine. Housekeeping did a great job and the place was very clean.

The Not-So-Great - The bathroom is small. Part of that "vintage" theme. The toilet has a few inches on either side before you hit wall. People could literally be too big for this bathroom. Few outlets. The one in the bathroom is up on the light. It was a good thing we had a 12" extension cord with us or I wouldn't have been able to reach it for my hairdryer. Road noise. Linens were on the cheap side - newer but really thin. I could have used two towels after my shower.

This was a fine room for the price and location and overall I am glad we stayed here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Keliiaua
Stockton, California
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My boyfriend and I stopped here after a miserable drive to see a show in Ashland. The man helping us was very friendly and made sure that we were comfortable, both in choice of room and cost. The motel is older, but charming. All of the appliances/amenities in the room worked and met our needs. For a one night stay, it fit the bill! We will probably stay there again when we see a show in the fall.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Cute and quirky -- clean, too. But the bathrooms are miserably small. Stayed in Room 3. Toilet is wedged in a space only as wide as the toilet. A large person could NOT get in there. No electrical outlet in cramped bath (space measures 6x5 at most!) and few in the other rooms (two bedrooms and a kitchenette). Great location, friendly staff. No ice machine on the property so you have to get it at the nearby market.

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Mountain View, California
Reviewed 29 May 2013

The Manor Motel has small cottage like rooms, many with kitchens. The beds were comfortable. The rooms were clean. Steve, the property manager, is very friendly and fun to talk to. We could walk to downtown to get to the restaurants and Shakespeare Festival theaters. If you don't mind having the basics and nothing fancy, this is a very good place to stay for a very reasonable rate. When we return to Ashland, we'll stay here again. The only downside, which we thought was more humorous and the makings of a good story, was the very small bathroom. The toilet is located between walls that are literally 2-3 inches on either side of the back of the toilet, and you get to it by squeezing by the sink. An average or smaller sized person would have no problems, but someone bigger would likely have trouble fitting into the space. They are slowly renovating the rooms to enlarge the bathrooms, so ask for a larger bathroom if you think you'd be more comfortable.

Room Tip: If you are a larger sized person, ask for a room with a renovated bathroom.