“Need to improve the front-desk staff...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Windsor Inn

BEST WESTERN Windsor Inn
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Ashland
Portland OR
“Need to improve the front-desk staff...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

For detail on the hotel, see my previous review "We Always Stay Here."

The only change from the previous is from our experience this last weekend, specifically 12/3/11. We called the previous morning to book the reservation, and all seemed to go well. That is, until we arrived the next night. The front-desk person, Diana, was unable to find our reservation, nor could she explain why if there was no reservation that the credit card had been charged. Instead of simply saying "Ok, let's get you a room" (the hotel was practically empty), she dithered around continuing to look for the reservation, asking if we had booked at the sister hotel further into town, calling said hotel, etc, etc, etc. Finally she got us a room.

Next issue - we had repeated mentioned that we needed an extra blanket, which seemed to be forgotten by Diana as soon as we said it. Finally she said that she would look for one. We went to the room, and after a half-hour I called, asking again about the blanket, only to be told that she was still looking. About 5 minutes later she called and said that all the blankets were in the laundry. When asked when one might possibly be available she was unable to even guess.

Eventually she called to say that a blanket was available, but that I would have to come to the office to pick it up, that she couldn't leave the desk. So I got out of my pyjamas and got dresed to go out into the 20-degree night to get the blanket.

The next morning when we checked out, we spoke with the person on-duty then, who promised to look into the problem. About 5 minutes later she found that the original person we spoke with to make the reservation, Nichole, had made it for the night the day we called, instead of the intended date, which was the next night; this also explained why the credit card had been charged.

So... make sure your reservation is correct, and double-check it. And maybe bring your own blanket.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank scorch42

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Kula, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

About a 5 minute drive to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, this place is nice on a budget. The rooms are newly remodeled and very clean. We payed $88.00/night total for a King Room. The bedding is crisp and fresh, the bed was comfortable and the room was emmaculate. The only reason I gave this 4 instead of 5 stars is because the walls are thin. Luckily, we had quite neighbors.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

This hotel is an excellent choice for budget-minded visitors to Ashland's renowned Oregon Shakespeare Festival. While not particularly close to the theaters, the hotel offers a free shuttle that makes getting to and from the plays, and downtown dining and shopping, quite easy. Much lower prices than comparable accommodations closer to the festival. Location is very convenient (about a $7 taxi ride) to the Ashland airport for fly-in (private aircraft) visitors.

At least some of the rooms, particularly the lower cost "basic" rooms, have undergone recent updates and they are now very nice and well equipped.

Amenities include a free, and surprisingly generous, continental breakfast, a nice pool and spa, an OK fitness room, and very nicely landscaped grounds.

Room Tip: The more basic rooms are perfectly adequate for a couple.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

I moved to the Best Western Windsor Inn after two nights at my favorite Ashland motel because it was sold out for the additional days of my visit. I was very happy at the Best Western, and especially happy at its price - about half what I'd paid earlier in the week!

My large room - 246 - was scrupulously clean, the king sized bed was very comfortable, and I didn't hear outside noise in the room. Lots of cable channels on the TV. Coffee maker and coffee, iron and ironging board, and blow dryer in the room. Breakfast was included in the nightly rate ($129/night on Thursday and $139 on Friday), although I never made it to the breakfast room in time so can't comment on the quality. :)

The pool area had several loungers and table and chair arrangements, and pool towels were available in the nearby laundry room. I spent one lovely afternoon stretched out in the shade by the pool, reading and enjoying watching kids and their families cool off from the heat of an August day.

The front desk staff was friendly and helpful, and was able to email me the receipt. The hotel offers a free shuttle to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival - a nice feature. Note that there are rooms are on the second floor and no elevator.

All in all, I really enjoyed my stay and will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Redlands, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

Lovely grounds with beautiful landscaping. Serves a continental breakfast though it's not much to brag about, but the rooms are good sized, and nicely appointed. Helpful staff. For as nice as the room is one would expect a little nicer towels.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms by the pool
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Kent, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

The hotel staff made every effort to let me check in early. I had been driving from Southern California back home to Washington state. Believe me when I say thats a long drive for a novice like me. I had been on the road and I was tired along with my family. I got checked in early and went into the pool. The only thing I didn't like was that no one told me that the hotel had a restuarant on the premises, When I asked for a restuarant for breakfast. But the room was very nice and the pool was great. The guest service associate though didn't know how to check me out. Might I suggest more training for the nice young man? The customer service was excellent other than that.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Rainbow48
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

The Windsor Inn was recommended to us as the "place to stay" during our short stay in Ashland, Or. If you're looking for comfortable place, away from the hubbub of downtown Ashland, we can echo that recommendation. We were in town for a few days to visit the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, something we can also recommend.

Located right off of I-5. Check in was pleasant and quick. The exterior of the hotel has a European Tudor feel with a small and well maintained garden, which keeps one in that medieval mood. The hotel has an outdoor pool and a large workout room, neither of which we took advantage of. We were told that pets were accommodated on first floor rooms.

Our 2nd floor room was in the hotel's "new" wing. It had all the features we look for; a large and comfortable with two queen sized beds and free wifi at a reasonable price. As hotel rooms go, ours was quite large. There was a multi purpose hutch, which contained six drawers, the TV and the fridge. The closet space was open and the bathroom was roomy. Overall, we were please with it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family