“Home.” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Chico, CA
“Home.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

Arden Forest Inn is the one trip that my wife and I insist on making every year, despite any other obligations or financial constraints. We have been visiting Ashland for 8 or so years now, and the last 5 have all been at the Arden Forest Inn; no other B&B has been comparable. We started visiting as a couple in our mid-20's, and now are in our 30's with a daughter, and hope to make our visits to AFI a vibrant part of her childhood memories and upbringing.

The accommodations are fantastic, the location is perfect for walking to downtown, and above all, Bill and Corbet are hosts extrordinaire. You guide the discussion, they'll pepper it up to delicious perfection. And the food? Amazing. Just wait until you have the biscuits!

Honestly, if you love visiting Ashland, give the Arden Forest Inn a stay for a night or two. It will seriously make your Ashland experience, and don't be surprised when it becomes part of your yearly tradition as well. We'll see you there!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tylt33

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

Spent 3 nights here while seeing 4 plays. It is a 10-15 minute walk to the theaters. Friendly staff and good food. The buildings and outdoor gazebo are in need of paint. The rooms are very clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #4, didn;t see the others.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OregonSarge
ArdenForestInn, Owner at Arden Forest Inn, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our Inn when you visited in July, 2012. Unfortunately, we didn’t get to meet you during your visit as I was undergoing a transplant surgery in San Francisco and as a result we were both absent from the inn. As you pointed out in your review some of the buildings and the gazebo are in need of paint. I’m afraid that the maintenance of the facility (which is constant) suffered during my long illness. The good news is that the transplant was very successful and both Corbet and I (Bill) are back in Ashland. You be happy to know that this spring will be filled with all kinds of maintenance activities, including painting. I’m actually looking forward to it just knowing that I’m once again able to perform these simple tasks. We thank you for your business and hope to see you in the future.
Respectfully,
Bill & Corbet
Portland, OR
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

I've stayed at the Arden Forest for about 5 years running with a group of long-time Arden Forest folks. It's okay, but I got quite tired of the performance. A bit too much sarcasm and a few too many breakfast discussions that were really lectures by the hosts. It would be nice to get coffee a little earlier in the morning, but I dare you to ask!! Corbett, in a word, is insufferable. In two words, pleasantly insufferable. It is clean, it is nicely decorated. Long story short, I've never felt that my business was appreciated--just tolerated. So sad.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Native64
Both Corbet and I (Bill) were troubled by your review and we really regret that you had a less than enjoyable experience at Arden Forest Inn. While we enjoy spirited discussions at the breakfast table, neither one of us ever intend to lecture or be off-putting. As a possible explanation to the situation last year when you visited in April, I was dealing with a catastrophic health issue which prevented me from performing any of my usual duties (cooking, marketing or physical maintenance of the property). That left Corbet responsible for everything (an overwhelming & impossible task). You referred to him as “insufferable”, however if the truth be told he was suffering and heartbroken knowing that I might not live. At that point in time I was very ill and we were trying desperately to coordinate with local Doctors, transplant facilities out of state, health insurance companies and all the while attempting to run the inn and keep our guests happy. But from the sound of your review I don’t think we were too successful at keeping all the balls in the air. Nonetheless I would like to address your specific points. As stated above, the discussions around the breakfast table are spirited at times (not just the hosts) and we never intend to lecture. Moreover, I don’t think that I was involved at all. Most mornings I wasn’t well enough to make it to breakfast. Regarding your comment about getting coffee early in the morning, we are always happy to give any guest coffee early. The first thing we do when we arrive in the kitchen every morning is put the coffee on knowing that some guests might be up earlier. All you needed to do was ask. There is also a guest kitchen that has Keurig individual coffee maker that guests can use any time of the day or night. We appreciate everybody’s business and would never be so insensitive to “just tolerate” ones business. We are so sorry that is the impression that you have and we’d love the opportunity to make it up to you in some way, even if it would be to offer you a complimentary room on you next visit Ashland.
Respectfully,
Bill & Corbet
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

I have been staying at the Arden Forest Inn for many years for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and I always look forward to my stay. It is simply the most comfortable place to stay! The rooms are cozy and the beds very comfortable. You'll sleep well! Bill and Corbet are wonderful hosts. When they join you for breakfast in the morning the talk around the table is never dull and never stilted! They know everything about the Festival and breakfast is always a delight (punctuated with much humor), plus it's the best around! Bill is an excellent cook! Whether you are traveling solo or with friends and family, you'll never feel awkward at Arden Forest Inn. The guests mix well with each other. Before I found Arden Forest I had stayed at other B&B's, but now I could never stay any place else. In the warmer months enjoy the pool, the gazebo, or recline on the hammock under the trees. They maintain a beautiful big yard. The deck or the gazebo in back is where we always gather for wine and crackers in the afternoon or for a late night glass after the theatre. You can walk to the theatre safely. Any questions you have about the Festival, Bill & Corbet can answer.

Room Tip: There is one suite on the top floor of the main house that sleeps 4 - 1 queen bed and 2 twins.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank conmck1
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

We returned to the Arden Forest Inn and were not disappointed. The breakfasts continue to be great. The pool is welcoming on a hot day and relatively uncrowded. The rooms are spotless and perfect for persons attending the festival (no TV - and a radio that seems perpetually tuned to NPR). The hosts and guests and their opinions about the festival plays are almost always interesting. Only problem - the in-house computer is gone - hope it will be replaced soon.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Mountain View, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2011

I hesitate to leave a glowing review because I always want to be able to find a room here and it's hard enough as it is. I l-o-v-e this place. The minute I arrive, I immediately feel relaxed and comfortable. I've been staying here twice a year for 12 years for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and I've stayed in all the room at one time or another. They are all lovely and comfortable. I sleep so soundly when I'm at Arden Forest. It's close enough to the theaters for a lovely walk, but far enough away so that you don't hear any of the noise from town. Highly recommend!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shelbelle94
Brookings, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2010

If you are going to Ashland to see plays, this is the place to stay. The two guys who run this B & B are really into theater. A high percentage of their business is repeat. The gourmet breakfast ends up being two or more hours because the table reviews and critiques the plays. If you haven't seen some plays and are curious about them, the actors, or the theaters, Bill and/or Corbet will provide information. Occasionally actors drop by to say hi, and stay for a discussion.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple