“Make your stay in Ashland memorable”
Review of Arden Forest Inn

and 1 more site!
Arden Forest Inn
Ranked #16 of 31 Ashland B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Portland, Or
“Make your stay in Ashland memorable”
Reviewed 29 March 2009

I have never been a fan of B&Bs. I admit to being slightly anti-social and not very comfortable meeting new people, but from the minute I met Corbett and Bill(the owners), I knew my stay would be extraordinary. From the beautiful rooms, to the tranquil gardens, this is a B&B like no other I've experienced before. Your hosts will make you feel like family as you sit around the breakfast table amongst your fellow travelers discussing a multitude of topics. Bill and Corbett, and often the other guests, always offer useful critique of the plays at the Shakepeare Festival. I have even gone to see a couple of plays that I might otherwise have avoided because of the suggestions and have yet to be disappointed. Believe it or not, as much as I love the Shakespeare Fest, Arden Forest,along with Bill and Corbett, are probably more the reasons I have made Ashland a frequent vacation spot and I hope you make it your special vacation spot too.

• Stayed October 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
work
Reviewed 1 December 2008

My daughter and I always take one summer vacation alone. She is an avid lover of theater—hence Ashland. This is the second time we have stayed at the Arden Inn and will again this summer. The proprietors, Bill and Corbin have an extensive background in theater and are intimately involved with the Ashland experience. Although perhaps not "elegant” in the strict sense, their space is an emotional oasis replete with good feelings in which one can relax, read, and interact with the other patrons at your leisure.
Their breakfasts are the highlight—superb food and conversation with all seated at the long dining table. Hours can pass during the interesting and eclectic discussions.
Bill and Corbin always have the best recommendations for plays to attend and restaurants to dine. They constantly care for their “guests.” I have found that most of their patrons are long time guests who return again and again.
I cannot recommend the Arden Inn more, just come and enjoy!

• Liked — The proprietors
  • Disliked — A little far away from the town center.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
Montesano, Washington
Reviewed 25 October 2008

Another summer and another wonderful stay at Arden Forest Inn. This was our 10th summer at the Inn (at least, since memory seems to be one of those things that go first) and everthing just keeps getting better. The garden out back is a delight and the pool is so nice on those hot summer days. But the best part of our stay is breakfast!

Not only does Bill create wonderful and tasty dishes for our breakfast pleasure, but both Corbet and Bill create an atmosphere around the breakfast table that just invites conversation. Of course the plays are the prime topic of discussion, critique and laughter, but any topic seems fair game and the conversations are always fun and enlightening.

Arden Forest is by far the best place we have stayed in Ashland and we will keep coming back. We've already booked for next season!

Bruce & Lori Wheeler

• Liked — The overall atmosphere
  • Disliked — My limited time there
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Half Moon Bay, California
Reviewed 22 September 2008

I hate to be the person that breaks the perfect five star rating of this B & B, but I can't give it five stars because ther were too many little things that we did not like.

The inn is about 6 bocks from the downtown area. It has two buildings and a large, beautifully manicured garden with several very private tables and sitting areas. Breakfast is served in the main house at a large dining table.

We stayed in one of the carriage house rooms. The room was on the small side. The king bed was really two twins pushed together and the beds were loose and noisy. There were only two pillows. They beds creaked loudly every time you moved. (That, of course, would present some issues if you were on a romantic getaway!) Those issues would be compounded by the fact that the walls are thin. We could hear the people talking (and snoring) above us. The amenities were basic. There is no bathroom door, only an accordian door that can be closed -- which is itself noisy when you close it (which is a pain if you want to be quiet while a spouse is sleeping.) The furnishings are basic. But there is WiFi and there is free coffee, tea, and a refrigerator and microwave for the guests of the carriage house. The housekeeping person had not turned off the alarm clock so we were awakened by that at a very early hour.

However, breakfast was wonderful. The food was great and the conversation was just as good. The hosts are theatre fanatics (as are many people in Ashland) and the time was spent discussing theatre and the arts. In fact, we whiled away nearly 90 minutes on breakfast!

The two couples who joined us for breakfast had been guests there many times and they were treated like family, as were we newbies.

So we left feeling very good about our stay notwithstanding the issues with the room. We might stay there again if in the area, if only for the wonderful breakfast and conversation. I can understand why some folks are passionate devotees of the inn even though the rooms are not quite up to five star standards.

• Stayed September 2008
1 Thank Marfak
ArdenForestInn, Owner at Arden Forest Inn, responded to this review, 26 January 2009
As hard as we try to please everybody I guess that is an impossibility. It would have been better if the guests had told us of some of their concerns or needs while they were here because I’m sure we would have gladly accommodated them in any way we could. Specifically, we are happy to provide extra pillows, towels, blankets etc, when desired. We have chosen to not clutter the rooms with extra pillows and such because most guests don’t want them. The reservation was made online so the guest saw the details of the rooms available. We have made every attempt to accurately describe our rooms and facility whether it is on the phone, our website or any printed text. If size of room was a concern there were other options for a larger room that was available. In any case, the room that they chose is a very nice average size room with more amenities than most properties offer. So I would have to disagree with the comment about “basic” amenities. And the same for the furnishings – hardly basic, but I guess that is subjective (however, pictures on the website accurately shows the furnishings. In 15 years of running this inn we have never had a complaint about the beds being noisy and when I checked the bed in that particular room after reading this review I could not get it to “creak” at all much less loudly. As the guest mentioned, the king beds are the type that are extra long twins which have the frames tightly bolted together for the “king” configuration (they are not shoved together as the guest indicated). In addition we use extra thick king mattress covers when set up that way. This is a common practice with many inns and hotels. We have chosen this option to satisfy many requests to have the rooms set up with twins. To our knowledge this has never been a problem or concern in the past. As far as the alarm being left on by a previous guest I can only say that we are constantly reminding the housekeeping staff to pay attention to all those little details. Unfortunately they do occasionally miss something like that and we certainly apologize for the inconvenience.

Again I will reiterate that it would have been far more advantageous if the guest had mentioned their concerns while here. We would have made every effort to correct any problems or satisfy any of there particular needs and made there stay more enjoyable, but they chose not to say or request anything.
Bay Area, California
Reviewed 31 August 2008

We stayed two nights at the Arden Forest Inn during the August heat wave (105+). We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and here is why:

1. Hosts Bill and Corbet - Attentive, lively, good conversationalists.
2. The yummy breakfasts - beautiful fruit, great quiche, and awesome biscuits.
3. The decor - understated, nice art, with a whiff of manly taste. A welcome change from froo-froo flowers and lace often seen in other B&Bs.
4. The spacious bathroom.
5. The swimming pool - a respite from the heat
6. The peaceful garden
7. The bottle of brandy in the room. We didn't indulge, but just one example of the small touches that make Arden Forest Inn special

• Liked — the wonderful breakfasts with the hosts and other guests
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
Olympia, WA
Reviewed 2 August 2008

Wonderful B&B. Easy, short walk to theater, gracious hosts, beautiful gardens, great breakfasts with excellent conversation.

• Liked — Hosts, location, grounds
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Eugene OR
Reviewed 1 August 2008

If ever there was a possibility for paradise here on earth, I believe it can come no closer than the Arden Forest Inn. I must say that I am rather bias because this was my first experience with a B&B, but had I imagined the best possible scenario - this was better. Granted, there may be some who would not agree with my tastes. The Arden Forest Inn is for those who enjoy scintillating conversation, a congenial atmosphere and divine food. Never have i taken so much pleasure in my morning meal. I am one who has somewhat of an aversion to the morning hours, but I willingly sacrifice sleep to absorb all the arousing topics of discussion. In the afternoon, the garden is picturesque and the perfect oasis. However, should you fancy something more lively, AFI is only a hop, skip and a jump away from the hustle and bustle of the theaters. Everything from restaurants to boutiques are located a few blocks down the road, an easy walking distance. I believe that the environment is diverse of opinion, but united under a shared love of Shakespeare. While the scenery is beautiful, the location convenient, the food exquisite and the conversation engaging, they were not the highlight of my stay. My greatest enjoyment was conversing with the lovely hosts, Bill & Corbet. I am hooked for life. Finally, I have found sanctuary.
~Ms. Blake E. (Eugene, OR)

• Liked — The wonderful hosts/innkeepers
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed July 2008